What's new

Tech B3 as a wakeup option

Fellow Kitana users, we all feel the pain of every single one of our wake-up options being duckable by our opponents.

I'm not so sure if this is like 100% viable, although I feel it is, but can be used to have the opponent respect b3 as a form of wakeup attack.

Most people like to wait for Kitana to wakeup with one of her specials, and then blow her up, but waking up with b3 (of course this is a slower form of a wakeup attack since it is not a special attack)
can be used to punish foes who simply duck.

B3 into cutter links, granting you an extra jump in into whatever choice you may wish to follow up with.
B3 into fan lift links but this is really risky, and a total guessing game, and I do not advise this unless you feel risky.

If your opponent seems to block but waiting on your wakeup, b33 is neutral on block, and b33 fakeout will jail your ducking opponent into blocking the fakeoutkick, although they can jump on a strict window frame, but hard to do during intense heat of the battle (credit for the jail goes to @osu 16bit)

Also, this opens up the possibility of them waiting for your b3, and allowing you to grab, etc.

This isn't a 100% form of a wakeup, it's just something you may want to incorporate if every single time you wake-up (whether it be with or without a special) they seem to duck waiting to captivate on a mistake.

B3 is 13 frames, and safe on block, standing 3 is 12 frames i believe, but b3 is more accurate in terms of hitting your opponent, it also shifts kitana's hitbox a bit away from the opponent.

Just some food for thought <3

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Fellow Kitana users, we all feel the pain of every single one of our wake-up options being duckable by our opponents.

I'm not so sure if this is like 100% viable, although I feel it is, but can be used to have the opponent respect b3 as a form of wakeup attack.

Most people like to wait for Kitana to wakeup with one of her specials, and then blow her up, but waking up with b3 (of course this is a slower form of a wakeup attack since it is not a special attack)
can be used to punish foes who simply duck.

B3 into cutter links, granting you an extra jump in into whatever choice you may wish to follow up with.
B3 into fan lift links but this is really risky, and a total guessing game, and I do not advise this unless you feel risky.

If your opponent seems to block but waiting on your wakeup, b33 is neutral on block, and b33 fakeout will jail your opponent into blocking the fakeoutkick, although they can jump on a strict window frame, but hard to do during intense heat of the battle (credit for the jail goes to @osu 16bit)

Also, this opens up the possibility of them waiting for your b3, and allowing you to grab, etc.

This isn't a 100% form of a wakeup, it's just something you may want to incorporate if every single time you wake-up (whether it be with or without a special) they seem to duck waiting to captivate on a mistake.

B3 is 13 frames, and safe on block, standing 3 is 12 frames i belive, but b3 is more accurate in terms of hitting your opponent, it also shifts kitana's hitbox a bit away from the opponent.

Just some food for thought <3
b3 is a move under-used by many Kitana players. Even though it is 13 frames, it has nice reach and is a mid. Even outside of your wakeup option, it is a nice move in itself. It's hitbox animation is kinda groovy too. I'll be sure to try to incorporate this more and see how it turns out.

Really smart theory. As you said, people shouldn't use this as a full wake up option, but more of a mix up between her other wake up options to keep an opponent guessing about their oki game. Especially like the grab mix up you suggested.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
My only problem is that it will be killed by crossovers, but of course it depends on the patterns you see your opponent doing on your wakeup.

And, obviously, the lack of invincibility.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Excuse my noob knowledge of terminology, but what exactly does "meta-game" mean?
Like...uh....well..meta-game involves everything possible.

Idk how to explain it but its something you just kinda get.

I'm probably making you more confused but....it isn't that complex of a concept really :)

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Like...uh....well..meta-game involves everything possible.

Idk how to explain it but its something you just kinda get.

I'm probably making you more confused but....it isn't that complex of a concept really :)
Put more simply, it's the theory behind the actual gameplay (e.g. how to use all of Kitana's tools effectively) rather than the gameplay at face value (e.g. the actual moves themselves).

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I started doing this about a week or two ago. I only had problems against someone who crossed me over. But against people who expect kitanas wakeups and duck, b3 blows them up. I wanted to talk to you about it, but it looks like we have the right idea.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
I started doing this about a week or two ago. I only had problems against someone who crossed me over. But against people who expect kitanas wakeups and duck, b3 blows them up. I wanted to talk to you about it, but it looks like we have the right idea.
Just curious... what's a good anti crossover strategy on wakeup? Standing 3 and standing 2 always whiff for me (it seems to be that they can aim at Kitana's head and completely miss her attack box.

xKhaoTik

Just curious... what's a good anti crossover strategy on wakeup? Standing 3 and standing 2 always whiff for me (it seems to be that they can aim at Kitana's head and completely miss her attack box.

You mean if an opponent tries to cross you up on your wake-up? I usually go for ex fan lift, d1 or3 or njp.

If you have good reactions, you can dash out of the cross up and since they most likely when for a jump in punch, the attack will whiff, causing the jump in punch whiff bug to occur(if they try to crouch block afterwards), and in most cases, kitana can attack with 21

Whenever I try to do a standing 3, a B3 always comes out =(

But anyways, for using it as a wake up I guess once in a while it would be good.

B3 is also good to punish pokes since it pushes Kitana forwards on doing it: this is a very clean and usefull move vs Kabal, Ermac

xKhaoTik

B3 is also good to punish pokes since it pushes Kitana forwards on doing it: this is a very clean and usefull move vs Kabal, Ermac

B3 shouldn't be used to.punish pokes. Most pokes are -13 on block and her b3 comes out in 13 frames. Not a very useful poke punisher

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
It depends on their timing. If they go for it immediately, stay down and when they go to the other side, roll away from them. If they delay at all, get up normally and when they get over you, do a jump kick~air fan combo for 38%+.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Is fan lift duckable?
Yes and no. If you get knocked down and allow yourself to stand (not hold down or do a wakeup attack), then you will enter a standing state BEFORE you duck. This is why after being hit by an Ermac combo and he throws a projectile and you let yourself get up, you are forced to block it.

So if someone does a fan lift next to you after they knock you down and you just hold down to duck it, it WILL hit you. Otherwise, you can duck it.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Yes and no. If you get knocked down and allow yourself to stand (not hold down or do a wakeup attack), then you will enter a standing state BEFORE you duck. This is why after being hit by an Ermac combo and he throws a projectile and you let yourself get up, you are forced to block it.

So if someone does a fan lift next to you after they knock you down and you just hold down to duck it, it WILL hit you. Otherwise, you can duck it.
Excellent explanation sir.