What's new

Question b2 guaranteed?

zYn

Noob
I saw there was a thread about this lower down, but it didn't really discuss what I was considering.

Is there a way to guarantee b2 in a combo? I was in the lab testing 22 xx ice ball, then timing it so that right as they unfreeze the b2 hits, resetting the combo.

The timing is super strict because if you hit it too early, it'll just meet the double freeze rule and end the combo, and if you do it too late, they'll have time to react.

People keep mentioning that it only works on block, however when I throw out a normal b2 without using a combo, if they aren't blocking...it hits. Why is this a factor?

The way I was setting up the timing, was when I landed 22 xx ice ball, I was dashing forward twice and then setting up b2. That seemed to work most of the time and does an incredible job lengthening combos.

Can anyone give me more verifiable data? I know Tom Brady put out a video about this, but I was having a hard time understanding his conclusion.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The unblockable freeze is never guaranteed after a freeze.

If they hit buttons or directions (including block and jump) then they will get frozen if you hit them right after they unfreeze. If they don't hit buttons, they don't get frozen.

If you delay the unblockable so that the double freeze timer wears off, they can get out by holding up or even by hitting you out of it. But if they're doing that you can time it with timing #1.

In that video, Tom Brady was suggesting that if you know they're not blocking you dash out of the b2 and do 22 freeze again because it's safe and hit-confirmable.

zYn

Noob
The unblockable freeze is never guaranteed after a freeze.

If they hit buttons or directions (including block and jump) then they will get frozen if you hit them right after they unfreeze. If they don't hit buttons, they don't get frozen.

If you delay the unblockable so that the double freeze timer wears off, they can get out by holding up or even by hitting you out of it. But if they're doing that you can time it with timing #1.

In that video, Tom Brady was suggesting that if you know they're not blocking you dash out of the b2 and do 22 freeze again because it's safe and hit-confirmable.
Thank you for these details. I suppose I was under the impression that b2 had armor when it was fully charged, so that you'd be able to absorb a hit. Almost like SF focus attacks.

As for Tom Brady's video, I understand that part. However it's a complete guessing game right? What makes you think you'll know if they're blocking or not? It's a 50/50 shot...if they think that you'll cancel into 22, they'll block, etc.

As for Tom Brady's video, I understand that part. However it's a complete guessing game right? What makes you think you'll know if they're blocking or not? It's a 50/50 shot...if they think that you'll cancel into 22, they'll block, etc.
It's a guessing game but with the 2 unblockable timings and the threat of refreeze, the opponent's best option usually is just to take the reset combo.

Most opponents don't recognize that it's a guessing game at this point and they think they can get out by jumping or not pressing buttons. Or they don't even know about how to get out of the setup and will get hit by it over and over again.

Let's game theory it up for a second. Let's call immediate unblockable #1, delayed unblockable #2, and 22 or b12 refreeze #3. If they think you're going to do #1, they don't block. But then they can get hit by #2 or #3. If they think you are going to do #2, then they are going to jump. But then they get hit by #1 or #3. If they think you are going to refreeze, they are going to block. But then they lose to #1 or #2. It's not a 50/50, it's a 66/33 guess in your favor and if they get hit by #3 they're put in the same guessing game. This guessing game is almost completely safe for you, the only thing you risk is combo damage.

Also the unblockable reset is great vs opponents with breaker - it gives you over 20% damage before they can breaker (unless they breaker the 22). If you think they're trying to breaker, you might as well try the reset.

Don't go for the reset if you don't have to obviously, but sometimes a successful reset can change a losing round into a victory. The reset also makes it more worthwhile to use xray in a combo, especially if you're trying to avoid a breaker. For example, jps b12 freeze b2 unblockable -> xray to take the round.

using b2 sounds interesting, how does it work?
Fully charged, it's an unblockable that puts the opponent midair and frozen for a followup combo. However, it's very slow and the double freeze rule stops them from being refrozen immediately after they recover. The major expection is that if the opponent hits any buttons, including block, the opponent will get refrozen anyway since it's unblockable.