What's new

Tech B2 cancels after B121

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
Since everyone is sharing their Sub set ups and tool...I figured I'd jump on board...

Something I don't see many Subs use are B2 cancels which is a great tool for Sub's pressure.

After I have frozen an opponent on the ground with either trading projectiles, punishing with 22/b12 freeze or a jip combo into freeze I almost always end it with b121. To establish a guessing game with the opponent I like to follow up with a b2 cancel, b2 normal or a b2 fully charged.

Now Sub is +24 after a b121 and b2 can be canceled after frame 18 so this leaves Sub at +6 (give or take including the dash and you're timing) so it does allow opponent to poke out of the cancel but that's where the mind games begin.

Jump Out:
If you're opponent tries to jump out, cancelling the b2 will result in catching them mid jump into a 212 freeze (b1)2 212 slide for 29% and if this is off a punished string then they took 26/28% (depending on whether your punish string is 22 or b12) so that's 55/57% of their life gone.

Blocking:

Once you've established that your opponent has to keep blocking is when you can start taking risks. By cancelling the b2 once, twice or more (especially if you catch them jumping) your opponent will most likely decide to keep blocking in fear of eating more damage. Fully charging the b2 is a huge risk but pays huge dividends especially if you catch your opponent blocking then they get refrozen into b2 1 b12 212 slide for 37% and again if off a punish freeze that makes it 63/65% of their life gone.

For you X-ray junkies like me or Brady, Sub's biggest X-ray combo in open space is off a b2 [b2 (b1)2 214 X-ray] = 54% + the 26/28% = 80/82%

Poking:
If you are constantly being poked out of these set ups then it's time to add the final piece of the mind game into the equation. This happens a lot with people you play with often that are used to you b121 follow up. The best counter for this is to simply move in and apply 21 pressure to catch them mashing d1/3/4 into your 212 bnb for the same result in the "Jump Out" section. 55/57%

Sadly the I have to do this but the only time this was caught on video was during Phil's 9.95's 24 hour stream at the end and it was against Brady (so no I'm not trying to troll him). The link below will give you an example of what I mean by catching your opponent in a jump out and catching your opponent blocking.

http://www.twitch.tv/kombatnetwork/b/309826333
(0:25 and 5:15 are the points in the video to watch)

Hopefully I see some Sub's using this in the futrue, thanks for reading :).

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
This is fun to do.
A wrinkle from how you would normally play.
I still believe that the simple throw/21 or 22 is better to follow up. But if I'm down and NEED that damage... I do this. I

Just so unsafe.
Good stuff though... :) thanks capt.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
This is fun to do.
A wrinkle from how you would normally play.
I still believe that the simple throw/21 or 22 is better to follow up. But if I'm down and NEED that damage... I do this. I

Just so unsafe.
Good stuff though... :) thanks capt.
The fully charged b2 is unsafe...like I said, you shouldn't abuse this just add it to your follow up after b121. Sub's ''pressure'' is smoke and mirrors as Brady said so you need to have some kind of mind game.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
These are a blast to do. I usually cancel it into a block string after hitting them with the standard follow ups a few times. I get blown up sometimes, but man, when the stars align and my 2 catches them coming off block or trying to punish the b2.......nailing that second combo is so satisfying. I use b2 cancels alot though. Its just so fun all around and pretty integral in mind fucking the opponent imo

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
This is why I miss the user: mechacide. Man, you guys have no idea how much of this stuff he went over in this forum not long after the game's release. Where is that guy now?

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Why is that? What was he posting?
He used the b2 setups after a b121 and that was a long time ago. He was also the first person to post about the slide into clone after a 212, clone blockstring in the corner (at that point, people weren't doing 212, clone in the corner), and we both compiled a list of the characters you could do the regular slide on and those you had to use the ex slide on.

All of that stuff is buried in the past now but I remember it clearly because he posted about the slide into clone after 212, clone in the corner and that allowed me to find the ex slide into clone in the corner. At the time, Sub didn't have armour on his slide, but it's used a lot now due to the fact Subhas amour on his slide.

He was an innovative Sub.

Dark_Rob

Noob
This is why I miss the user: mechacide. Man, you guys have no idea how much of this stuff he went over in this forum not long after the game's release. Where is that guy now?
WOW Mechacide! Whatever happened to that dude?? I remember in the staff forum when we first started kicking around the idea of having moderators for specific character forums, Mechacide was at the top of my list for the Sub forum. Then he just dropped off the face of the earth. Its to bad because he was one of the biggest contributors to this board early on. He had a good head on his shoulders for Subzero.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
WOW Mechacide! Whatever happened to that dude?? I remember in the staff forum when we first started kicking around the idea of having moderators for specific character forums, Mechacide was at the top of my list for the Sub forum. Then he just dropped off the face of the earth. Its to bad because he was one of the biggest contributors to this board early on. He had a good head on his shoulders for Subzero.
Exactly my thoughts. He posted up some really good stuff for Sub, and a lot of it was well ahead of its time. The 212, and 21 clone stuff in the corner especially.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Exactly my thoughts. He posted up some really good stuff for Sub, and a lot of it was well ahead of its time. The 212, and 21 clone stuff in the corner especially.
Yea I remember. Him and Shory were two of the first to work up strats around the 2,1 string. 2,1 was also alot better then because we were always hunting resets like Elmer Fudd hunts Bugs Bunny.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
Godd sfuff, man!

I've been using B2 fully charged and B2 cancel (mostly to bait wake up) after NJP, 1, 2,1. Been working like a charm.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
These are a blast to do. I usually cancel it into a block string after hitting them with the standard follow ups a few times. I get blown up sometimes, but man, when the stars align and my 2 catches them coming off block or trying to punish the b2.......nailing that second combo is so satisfying. I use b2 cancels alot though. Its just so fun all around and pretty integral in mind fucking the opponent imo
I don't see how you guys can do this stuff...

every time I try a B2 anything, I get blown the fuck up. I guess I'm just too slow... lol

So I just stick with boring ol throws, 212s, and F4s.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I don't see how you guys can do this stuff...

every time I try a B2 anything, I get blown the fuck up. I guess I'm just too slow... lol

So I just stick with boring ol throws, 212s, and F4s.
And your better off for it. B2 shenanigans are nothing but blind guessing games. Not that I wont take a guess with Subzero when I need to. I will. But not when there are better,safer options.

GlacialEternity

Maverick Hunter
Hmm...This just may be the mix up I need against my friend who's probably fought my Sub over 50 times. Maybe this will keep him guessing.