What's new

Tech B13,close rocket power on block.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Ok so Tom Brady showed me this at my house about a week ago and Ive been messing around with it ever since. Its got some positives and some negatives.

Basically when most of us do B13 and its blocked we usually cancel into minigun to gain some distance or MB minigun to gain more distance and extra chip damage. And though both those options are basically safe, that's basically the end of it, your back to the neutral game after that. Which is fine, GL likes the neutral game and even more so hes in his prime range at this point. Still when opponents block B13 they almost always know,"ok here comes the minigun I block that and Im home free" In other words GL is not a pressure monster on block. He has great mixups on hit and after combos his oki game is sterling, but hes not a "on block" pressure type of character.

B13,close rocket power is a chance to gain a little of that type of pressure, especially against opponents who are confident and snug that you will always go into minigun after B13 on block and they can just wait it out.
Rocket power as everyone knows is +20 on block, with 14 frames of recovery on the move itself leaves you at a 6 frame advantage before your opponent is out of blockstun. On hit Rocket power is +22 so your left at an 8 frame advantage. So either on block or hit another B13 is basically guaranteed.

Now this isn't a block infinite or anything. You cant do B13,RP B13,RP over and over again.(well I guess you could if your opponent just stands there blocking and does nothing like I did the first time Brady did it to me lol) B13,RP is not a true cancel combo. Rocket power has a whopping 44 frames of startup and there is a big gap in between B13 and rocket power. Your opponent can forward dash and full combo you. Back dash to escape or MB B3 through it. Some characters like catwoman who have a low crouching hitbox just duck it all together so you cant use it on these characters at all. In other words its got a lot of holes.

This is why B13, minigun is still important. Your opponent still has to respect this option and you have to make him respect it by using it. B13, minigun isn't interuptable and you cant backdash it. Having a stock of meter will always make them respect b13,minigun even more because they know if they get hit you can MB it for like 20% damage.
The respect for B13,minigun is what allows you to bring B13, RP into play against characters that don't have a low crouching hitbox(as I said, don't even bother trying it on them)

The gap between B13 and rocket power is not so big that your opponent can wait and see whether you do rocket power or minigun after B13 and THEN decide what to do. They have to commit one way or the other after B13. If they hesitate expecting minigun they will either have to block rocket power giving you that +20 advantage and a guaranteed follow up B13 or they will get hit by rocket power for trying to act to late. If they are going to interrupt between B13 and rocket power they have to just go for it on that read.

Also if they try to jump out of it rocket power will still hit them due to its giant hitbox and knock them backwards. Look for this because as they get knocked back you can grab them out of the air with Lanterns might and MB it for a full combo.

Again, the key to using this is to mix it up with B13 minigun(having a bar of meter helps here because then they really have to respect minigun). Your opponent must always respect this option. If you always try to go for B13 RP on block , I promise you will get lit up for it.

Unfortunately this is nothing ground breaking,overpowered or broken, and it damn sure doesn't make up for losing B1 as an OTG after MB lanterns might. But hey, every little bit helps.

Also Ive only been messing with this for about a week and I hardly claim to be any kind of expert on it. So if anyone has already known about this and knows of better or further ways to use/exploit it, by all means post up that tech and I will add it to the first post.

Good hunting fellow Lanterns.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
Good advice here. I've only seen one lantern use this online and it's good pressure.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
I have been using that set up for a whole now, and is actually pretty good, btw the b1 otg after meter burn lift isn't gone, the timing is just stricter. If you don't believe me, go to the training rom set the com on whatever wake up you want and do mb lift and right as the opponents hands are about to hit the ground, do b1 and you'll reset the opponent standing, @darkrob and if your on psn ill be glad to show it to you if you can't do it.

Ca$hFlagg

Online » Offline
I like b+13~db2 on block. My problem is I tend to hit when I b+13 which makes me kick myself for trying to be too cute and dropping my combo.

KamikazeJD

Makes women fap
Im surprised this is the only thread on this... this shit is hella annoying online.. Offline its beatable

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
I enjoy catching them by surprise by doing b13~trait~rocket power, which becomes a launcher if they're hit. Then you can catch them in the air with a lantern's might and follow up with your combo of choice. Looks so dirty.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
The missiles will whiff on low hitbox characters, so we should get a list together of who it does and doesn't work on.

I'm almost positive that it doesn't work on catwoman or Killer Frost. Raven is unknown.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
it works on:
batman, flash, NW (in staff and escrima), Cyborg, GA, Supes, Raven, Aqua, WW, Scorp, HG, Shazam, GL, Lobo, Joker, Harley, Grundy, Zod, Lex, DS, Ares, DD, Sinestro, BA, and Bane.

It whiffs on:
Catwoman, KF, and Batgirl

Pesonally I don't like using B13 DB2,as you said "GL is not a pressure monster on block" so since it's unsafe you are risking to get full comboed to get a little pressure.I think you made a great analysis but I can't agree with this "They have to commit one way or the other after B13. If they hesitate expecting minigun they will either have to block rocket power giving you that +20 advantage and a guaranteed follow up B13" rocket power has 44(!) frames of startup and some characters don't even have to dash to punish you.

B13 rp has been done for a very long time, and was even done in the semifinals against Chris g. G.l basically uses it to create f23 pressure since it becomes a guessing game between rocket power, trait gatlin, gatlin, mb oa rocket, lantern might, trait lantern might, nothing into grab, nothing into j3, nothing into b13, or a b12. Even an f2 d1 3 for the adventurous, not to mention potential for f3 or continuing chains, g l can be very frustrating to play against, cause blocking does not give too much reward on most of his different options.