What's new

Strategy Ares Stage Discussion

Hi all, didn't see a thread like this so I figured I'd make one since I feel Ares strongly benefits from winning stage selection. Also using this thread to introduce myself to the Ares subforum, as I'm new to the site; Hail, gods of war.

Anyway, IMO Atlantis is far and away Ares's best stage. My reasoning is as follows:
- The throwable interactables on this stage deal 20%+ damage, go almost full screen, and are difficult to dodge in a lot of situations. I find these strongly favor power characters. Furthermore, I believe strong throwable interactables in general tend to favor Ares more than almost any other character; he has powerful zoning tools that synergize well with them, and furthermore exerts a lot of control over the interactables because of teleport, meaning he can punish other characters that would use them.

- The tank walls are absolutely amazing for Ares. Against characters who are forced to play rushdown against Ares's strong zoning tools, Ares can camp either side of the map using the tank walls as a persistent threat for anyone that would approach. Furthermore, if you launch someone into a corner, a quick teleport into a meterburned wall break is basically 22% damage guaranteed - this tactic is quite effective if the enemy is in the corner and you are at full screen away because no on expects someone to teleport themselves into a corner, nor will they be trying to use the wall/pump themselves. Once one tank wall is broken Ares can almost effortlessly escape the corner with teleport and then take the fight to the other wall.

- The lack of a stage transition works to Ares advantage because his b3 has horrible range, and because he lacks stellar setups for it compared to a lot of other characters.

- While Ares doesn't get anything from the sliding tube, Ares's horizontal axe is a strong deterrent to any gadget character that would use it.

So there you have it. All-in-all I'd say this stage nets Ares a LOT of damage, potentially >80% from interactables alone, to say nothing of the zoning damage from forcing people to approach you at transitionless, defensible corners. I also think Watchtower, Themyscira, and Ferris Aircraft to be fairly solid choices as well. I try to avoid Batcave and Gotham.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Atlantis is one of my favorite stages too, but there are some things you need to watch out for.

The pipe is annoying if you're trying to zone or keep people out. They get some invincibility frames while using and can over your fireballs really easily so you have to be constantly thinking about it in certain match ups. The characters that use the pipe can also use the valve on the side multiple times, while Ares can only use the side interactables once. So that can mess with your corner. Ares can duck the valve and punish, though. He's one of the few characters that can do so, so that could be used to your advantage.

The other thing to watch out for is the water on the sides. Pretty much any character can armor through it with a MB b3 or f3 and then dash cancel and full combo punish, so you have to be careful if you plan on using that. The flip side is that Ares can do that too and nets 50% or more.

If you're playing against a power character this is a pretty good stage for Ares, I think. It doesn't have any of those flying or hanging interactables that favor characters with air mobility nor does it have anything that's particularly hard to dodge or avoid. The table is easy to dodge and the globe is fairly easy to teleport and punish on reaction.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Best stage against non-power characters: rooftop (obvious)
Against power characters - mess hall

Atlantis walls can only be used once, whereas the pole can allow rushdown characters to get in on you free and dodge all of your attacks. Ferris is terrible for power characters as it's stacked with interactables the non-power characters can hit you with.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Against power characters - mess hall
What's your logic for this one? Teleport giving you control over the pig?

I sort of agree, but I don't recommend this stage against Wonderwoman. All her air options give her an advantage with the Stone Heads and the Chandelier on the one side, and she can avoid the pig with her d3 and her air dash.

Laboratory, Fortress of Solitude.

Ares gets additional damage with background interactables whereafter b3 can be reliably linked. The Doomsday bg-interactable has a very large range of effectiveness. Background interactables also give Ares more options--ergo more damage--in air-to-air follow-up combos and other improvised combo scenarios. (Btw, b1~interact and 12~interact and d1~interact, for improv.)

The laser-beam interactable in the right corner can be linked after Ares' projectiles. Facing right, you can do a full combo ending in j3, f23~d4, df1 and easily connect the interactable afterwards. This technique is effective from ridiculous range (further than midscreen) and grants Ares a setup and/or combo extension every time. You can also link the laser interactable after a naked mb df1, which grants Ares a full--albeit scaled--combo.

Ares can post-up in the left corner as well, much like Atlantis, except he can do 60+% combos coming out of the corner, 100% resets, and 30+% unclashable on FoS.

Lastly, Ares can do up to 62% meterless damage in the corner by ending his biggest combo with a stage transition. Fortress of Solitude, unlike Atlantis, has a stage transition.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
My personal stage is themyscira baby, once the lion heads are gone theres no interactables till corner, which are easily avoidable. No interactables is a great ares for Ares, controls the space. Interactables do both way, they can cost you a match or win you a match, i try and keep it on level ground myself.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Tbh i really love atlantis and the pig stage. Fortress is still my favor but in atlantas your teleport is so good for abusing the corner water interactable, and the pig stage, what more can i say :p
Another one i really like is insurgency, i dont know why but i love that right side stage interactable that u can cancel. Awesome footsies :p

InFlames

dead
Stryker's Island is my main choice. There's only 2 interactables that you can throw, interactables don't respawn, and it has wide-open space. I find stages filled with interactables bad for Ares since his backdash is rather slow making it hard to dodge them.

Stryker's Island is my main choice. There's only 2 interactables that you can throw, interactables don't respawn, and it has wide-open space. I find stages filled with interactables bad for Ares since his backdash is rather slow making it hard to dodge them.

Can't you just teleport behind the thrower?

InFlames

dead
Can't you just teleport behind the thrower?
Not a few of them. Themyscira for exampla has fast moving interactables, and if you teleport too fast against tracking interactables the blast radius will still hit you which is stupid. I would rather stay safe with empty stages. lol

4x4lo8o

Noob
Notations and damages? It's hard to see on my phone.

I like the corner combos that end with a ship or MB ship reset. Gotta love those 90%+ set ups. My favorite is Batcave Lagoon though. Those electric cables are sick

Got anything good in the other corner? I always thought the laser was the reason people chose that stage, a few characters get some broken shit off that. I haven't found anything particularly noteworthy with it for Ares though.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'll get my tags right next time haha, i just copy pasted. Give me a day or so Ill write up all notations and damage. Thanks guys

I didn't get tagged either (boo). I've been saying this is Ares' best stage since about day 10.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/ares-stage-discussion.34673/
Laboratory, Fortress of Solitude.

Ares gets additional damage with background interactables whereafter b3 can be reliably linked. The Doomsday bg-interactable has a very large range of effectiveness. Background interactables also give Ares more options--ergo more damage--in air-to-air follow-up combos and other improvised combo scenarios. (Btw, b1~interact and 12~interact and d1~interact, for improv.)

The laser-beam interactable in the right corner can be linked after Ares' projectiles. Facing right, you can do a full combo ending in j3, f23~d4, df1 and easily connect the interactable afterwards. This technique is effective from ridiculous range (further than midscreen) and grants Ares a setup and/or combo extension every time. You can also link the laser interactable after a naked mb df1, which grants Ares a full--albeit scaled--combo.

Ares can post-up in the left corner as well, much like Atlantis, except he can do 60+% combos coming out of the corner, 100% resets, and 30+% unclashable on FoS.

Lastly, Ares can do up to 62% meterless damage in the corner by ending his biggest combo with a stage transition. Fortress of Solitude, unlike Atlantis, has a stage transition.
^This still works against noobs. Can hold the b+3 for a bit, hit d+3, then mb the interactable gauranteed reset.

Also, maximize damage with j3 instead of j2 after the throwable interactable.

With your back in the corner:
3d2~interact, walk half step, j3, walk half step, 3~interact, b3, f23~d4, mb far GS, d3 (or b13)

InFlames

dead
The laser in the right corner is also good for Ares. I mostly use it in the corner after BnBs then go for mind games with MB invisibility into d3 into jump in mix-ups or Godsmack mix-ups.

Can anyone find any use for it in midscreen? I go for the same setup above but in midscreen you can't go for GS mix-ups so it's not as useful.

The laser in the right corner is also good for Ares. I mostly use it in the corner after BnBs then go for mind games with MB invisibility into d3 into jump in mix-ups or Godsmack mix-ups.

Can anyone find any use for it in midscreen? I go for the same setup above but in midscreen you can't go for GS mix-ups so it's not as useful.
Link it after mb df1 from anywhere onscreen as long as the opponent is within range. I reference it in the quoted text from my previous post.