What's new

Video/Tutorial Ares - Corner Setups/Cross-Ups

InFlames

dead
Posted and recorded on behalf of 4x4lo8o

112~Tele(Behind) - The basic set up is 3d2, f23, f23, 112~tele, but it works at the end of most combos. The higher the gravity/sooner they hit the ground as you teleport the more likely you end up in the corner, so with set ups like 3d2, f23, f23, 112~d4, j2, 112~tele it's difficult to keep them in the corner. After you've teleported it always looks like you're in the corner until the second you hit buttons or until they stand. This can flip up their inputs and make it hard to block. There are a lot follow ups. 3d2 is a good follow up because there's a good chance any wake up they may have tried to do got messed up and it'll catch that and most other things they're trying to do before they can react to which side you're on. They can beat it by holding down, but the second hit's an overhead and will catch them if they're not fast and even if they block it you've still got all the mix ups and frame traps that come from it. It's also better to keep your Sword Trait to have a low mix-up after F2 or standing 3. Adding an MB Invisibility into the combo adds to the mind-games and allows for more mix-ups.

Ending in B13 - If the opponent does not tech-roll out of B13 you get the opportunity for an ambiguous cross up. Taking a slight step forward into J2 will cross them up and a normal J2 will not. You can also add in a Stance Switch after taking a step to make it harder for the opponent to know where you will land. Stance Switch also makes it easy to spot tech-rolls and start pressure. Adding an MB Invisibility to the combo gives you more options such as D1D4 as they will be blocking high expecting the J2. As far as I can tell it's not affected at all by gravity or what you do in the combo so you can basically tack this on to the end of whatever you want. More information about this is in this thread: http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/corner-bounce-cross-up-tech-for-multiple-characters-mmh-as-well.36412/

Also with these setups if you don't know where you're going to end up you can do F23 and it will auto-correct into B23 if you cross up, both strings are safe on block.

Godsmack Corner Reset - This cannot be back-dashed or jumped out of if timed right. They can tech roll, but it pushes them into the corner so it doesn't get them out. Mid GS reverses their wake up inputs, Close GS doesn't. Here are some follow up combos if you do MB Godsmack:

Close GS: MB GS-F23-F23-112
Mid GS: MB GS-B3-*dash under opponent*-F23-F23-112 (keeps opponent in corner)

F23 Cross Up - So far this only works off F3-F3 and is possibly either character or stage exclusive(or my timing just plain sucks). If you have the timing down you can start making your opponent respect it and be eager to wake-up. You can bait their wake-up with a f2 then block and punish.

Thoughts?

Mr Aquaman
Dislexsik
xInfra Deadx
WaywardStranger
DownfouralitY
@I'm pretty sure I forgot a lot of people

4x4lo8o

Noob
Very good, thanks for recording this for me.

Reserving this spot for likes. And comments I'll have about the set ups when I have a little more time

Ares corner combos are great. They all pretty much follow this pattern of [combo starter], f23, f23, [combo ender]. So after just about anything you land in the corner(3d2, d1~d4, f3, 123, 112~d4, raw d4, etc) you can convert for decent damage and go into set ups. You don't need a bunch of complicated or suboptimal combos or weird combo starters or whatever to get his set ups started and once you land a hit with one you can straight into another one. You can also add invisibility to any set up by doing f23~mb invis instead of the second f23.

For the 112~tele stuff, it's explained briefly in the video but the way that works is if you delay the 112 you end up in the corner and gravity plays a big part.
The best set up is [combo starter] f23, f23, 112~tele, but you can add the teleport safely at the end of any special cancelable string you happen to end the combo with. The higher the gravity/sooner they hit the ground as you teleport the more likely you end up in the corner, so with combos using d4 near the end to keep the juggle going longer it's difficult to keep them in the corner. I know with 3d2, f23, f23, 112~d4, j2, 112~teleport it is possible to leave them in the corner, but it might not be possible to do consistently or with different starters and similar enders. It still works alright because it's safe and visually jarring, but the mix up doesn't actually exist if you want to take the extra damage during the combo.

After you've teleported it always looks like you're in the corner until the second you hit buttons or until they stand. This can flip up their inputs and makes it hard to block. They also can't tech roll out of it. They'll always tech roll into the corner and it doesn't do much to make things less ambiguous

There are a lot follow ups. Neutral jump works well. Once they've seen it a few times and the initial confusion is gone they can see it and block correctly(once you jump it auto corrects so they can see which side you're on), but it does blow up a lot of wake ups and lead to a lot even if blocked. I like to just go for 3d2 because there's a good chance any wake up they may have tried to do got messed up and it'll catch that and most other things they're trying to do before they can react to which side you're on. They can beat it by holding down, but the second hit's an overhead and will catch them if they're not fast and even if they block it you've still got all the mix ups and frame traps that come from s3. b23/f23 like shown in the video also works very well. The position reversing b23 combo with your back to the corner as show in the video is b23, 1, f23, f23 [combo ender]
One last thing about this set up is that you can use it to hit them with corner interactables at the end of your combo. For example 3d2, f23, f23, 112~d4, f3, 112~tele, mb interactable on Atlantis does 76% and is near inescapable. Cars, the ship on Fortress, and others also work great with this set up.
One other small note, use of 123~tele will change the timing on the knockdown and always put you in the corner.

The b13 ender is kind of gimmicky since it doesn't work at all if they tech roll. It's also a set up a bunch of characters have so eventually a lot of people will just know to tech roll once they see that knockdown animation. But if they don't know how to tech roll this set up is crazy ambiguous, and if you do cross them up it flips wake up inputs and you can easily just keep looping it until they tech roll or guess right.

The f23, f23 reset is similarly brutal if they don't know to tech roll. They literally can't get out with anything except an invincible wake up, and you can flip up their controls if they don't tech roll. The other real strong part about this particular reset is that it's not telegraphed at all. They're getting hitting with that f23, f23 in the middle of every corner combo everywhere and their mind is probably still on the last reset you hit them with, so it's unexpected when they suddenly drop and the GS comes. Also works very well in conjunction with invisibility because it takes longer for them to notice the combo got dropped(possibly eliminating their chance to tech roll) and it's difficult to see that you're doing something that they need to respond to immediately or that their controls might be getting reserved. And like everything else it ends with them in the corner again

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Awesome, I actually use this very often, especially stage dependent, I'll post a response of setups I have with this exact setup. Love it. At work I'll get back to this tonight.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Thanks! When ares had you in the corner he becomes top tier :)
Can't look at the video now but will look tomorrow and cant wait to see it.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
i started putting together a video, its ending up being every stage ares interactable setup. But my favorite use of this setup is on home turf themyscira temple. 52% corner combo ending with 112 tele. Interactable the tree, most WU's are nullified, still testing. but you are actually at advantage on land, 3, d2 combo or starter of choice. Nice shennanigan

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I just watched the video. I was kinda confused why my teleport was so randomly ending in front or behind in the corner but know i know why :p

That ambigious cross up tech with the b13 ender is very nice, i like it alot!

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
i started putting together a video, its ending up being every stage ares interactable setup. But my favorite use of this setup is on home turf themyscira temple. 52% corner combo ending with 112 tele. Interactable the tree, most WU's are nullified, still testing. but you are actually at advantage on land, 3, d2 combo or starter of choice. Nice shennanigan

If you're in the corner where the tree is, and you do the 3d2, f23, f23, 112d4, b3 so they bounce out of the corner and throw the tree, does this have the same effect? Its kinda the same as that 100% reset combo in fortress with the spaceship

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
it only does about 80%, for higher damage i actually whiff the tree and combo back into the corner lol