What's new

Guide Ares 3d2, 50/50's, and Hitconfirming

4x4lo8o

Noob
Ares 3d2 is a really good and pretty versatile string that is a high damaging combo starter and leads to set ups, pressure, and mix ups on block. It can be a difficult string to full utilize though, so I've put together a little mini-guide to discuss his options and help Ares players collectively level up their game, because I don't think this is being discussed or used enough.

The basic use for 3d2 is as a punisher and combo starter. Pretty self explanatory. It's Ares highest damage combo starter, both midscreen and in the corner, so it sees a lot of use off of jump ins and and as a punisher for highly negative moves on block.
The main combo for this midscreen is 3d2~mb far GS, b3, j2, f23~d4, fireball for 45%. There's more you can do with it, but it's all pretty straight forward so I'll leave all that to xInfra Deadx's combo thread

The second big, really important use of 3d2 - and the one that I think a lot of Ares players aren't getting full use of currently - is that it sets up a 50/50 where both options are advantage on block and lead to combos on hit. The second hit of the string is an overhead which can replaced with either of Ares low traits which creates a mixup that the opponent has to block anytime they block a standing 3.

The Low:
The important thing to remember when you're going for 3~d4 is that you only want to use it if the 3 is blocked. If the 3 hits the d4 will combo but the best universal follow up is a fireball for 20%(there are better character specific combos, but it doesn't change the fact that you don't want ever want to combo off of 3~d4 over 3d2). On hit 3d2 leads to much, much higher damage so you generally only want to go for the low in situations where you know the opponent is going to block the first part of the string. If there's a chance the string will land you should play it safe and go for one of your options off of 3d2. Generally I go for 3~d4 after a block j2(you can confirm that they blocked the j2 before deciding whether to go for the low or overhead) or after a d1 on hit after I know they've been conditioned to block the follow up.

If they block the 3 you have better combo options off of the d4. I don't know if there's a standard notation for this, but for this guide I'll be indicating blocked hits of a string before a combo by putting them in parenthesis, so (3)~d4 indicates that the stand 3 was block and they got hit by the linked d4.
Follow ups to (3)~d4 are the same as standard bnb's off of 112/22/d1. My bnb's are
(3)~d4, j2, f23~b4 - 29%
(3)~d4, j2, b23, 3d2 - 27%

If the opponent blocks the d4 Ares is left at +15 with a lot of space, and there's not gap between the 3 and the d4, so this option is completely safe.

Instead of using Sword you can also use Axe to set up the low. This leads to less damage and is inconsistent based on character and spacing because the Axe doesn't always hit the same number of times, but you can usually do 3~dd4, j1, b13 for about 18% and 3~dd4 is also a solid set up for a Godsmack reset.

The Overhead:
Comboing off the overhead is a bit harder, because (3)d2 by itself is not hit confirmable. To combo after the overhead hits you need to cancel into a special and you won't know whether they got hit by the overhead until after you've committed to the special. There a variety of ways you can handle this.

The first is to go for a normal GS combo. This is risky because you have to commit to the GS but you maybe able to see whether they blocked it and chose do a close GS that will catch them if they don't jump or a far GS to make space and be safer. Be careful though, because any character in the cast can full combo punish close Godsmack with a neutral jump and many characters have ways to punish far Godsmack. You can use your normal 3d2~GS bnb, but it may be character specific or the timing could change slightly because the overhead launches differently by itself so I recommend this combo:
(3)d2~mb GS, f3, f23~d4, fireball 37%

Another option is to use low sword. The damage isn't as high but it's easy and doesn't require any difficult hit confirming and leads to more safe mix ups on block. Unlike most string cancelled into low sword, 3d2~d4 is a true block string and doesn't have any gap for the opponent to poke out of. It requires the opponent to block overhead and then low immediately, so you'll often catch opponents that way. Overhead sword also combos safely after the overhead(on block there's a gap, but it's only interruptable by Supers). It leads to a standing reset, but Ares doesn't get much out of it.
(3)d2~d4, fireball 20%
(3)d2~d4, mb teleport, 112~fireball - 27%
(3d2)~d4, j1, b13 - 21%
(3)d2~u4 - 15%

Instead of committing to low sword, you can use a trait dash cancel to hit confirm and combo. Cancel into trait(4 or b4 work, the low and overheads have longer start up and will not work), hold 4, and dash immediately. On block the dash cancels are safe and you can either block or try to follow up with something like a d1 or a throw. On hit you have time to combo with 22.
(3)d2~tdc, 22~d4, fireball 23%
(3)d2~tdc, 22~d4, GS 26%
(3)d2~tdc, 22~fireball - 17%

One last option is to input 3d2~df3(Warp Behind, his normal behind teleport) and hit confirm from there. On hit let it go as a normal Warp Behind go into a combo, on block hold back for Warp Away or MB the teleport for a frametrap. 3d2~mb teleport is +4 on block allowing you to go into more pressure. Teleport away is unsafe against some characters, but it generally has to be on a read(they have to guess where you're going to teleport) so in most match ups it's safe and is useful for making space.
Comboing off this on hit can be problematic, because it launches differetly based on character and whether the 3 was blocked crouching or standing. In some cases it launches the opponent over you, allowing you to land a 112. Other times the opponent falls in front of you, leaving you with only enough time for a d1. If the opponent lands in front of you it's also a good set up to go into a godsmack reset. 3d2~teleport, GS and 3d2~teleport, d1, GS are both impossible to jump out of.
Because the combos off this one are kind of wonky and don't necessarily add much in terms of damage, I recommend using this mainly when don't expect them to hit and wanted the teleport after a block string anyway
Low launch:
(3)d2~teleport, d1~d4, fireball 21%
(3)d2~mb teleport, 112~d4, fireball 29%
(3)d2~teleport, GS(reset)
(3)d2~teleport, d1, GS(reset)

High launch:
(3)d2~teleport, 112~d4, fireball 29%
(3)d2~mb teleport, 112~d4, fireball 29%
(3)d2~teleport, 112~d4, GS 31%

PressBackToBlock

Always back the underdog
Great write up man, some really good information in here. I hate having to commit to the 3d2~special without knowing what to follow up with, and having the go to option of d4, and when they respect that DE(mb), I think is good for everyone to know.

ryublaze

Noob
When I try to do 3d2 trait cancel I can't connect the 22 afterwards for some reason. I have the AI set to stance block and crouching.

P3irce

Noob
I've been using another type of "50/50" basically after doing a basic combo end with f2,3 then tele behind. From there you can go for b2 or d1 for a 50/50. I recommend doing mb f3/mb godsmack as another option to make the opponent afraid to do wake ups . It's like one big mixup but I've had good results with it

Edit
Use things like d1, d ax, people won't expect you to trait combo without sword, you can also do mob godsmack for a reset after d ax

4x4lo8o

Noob
When I try to do 3d2 trait cancel I can't connect the 22 afterwards for some reason. I have the AI set to stance block and crouching.
Like Inflames said, make sure you're using straight sword or straight axe. Anything else doesn't let you dash out as quickly. The other thing is to make sure that you're dashing out immediately. You can input the dash as soon as the string is over, before the trait has fully appeared on the screen

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
This thread definately reminds me to keep using this string (and its shenanigans) more often than I am right now...