What's new

Question Any uses for b231 and b13 strings?

The first one looks more flashy than useful, the first hit has very limited range.

B13 is a slow overhead start, can anyone tell me a situation where these strings can be used?

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
The first one looks more flashy than useful, the first hit has very limited range.

B13 is a slow overhead start, can anyone tell me a situation where these strings can be used?
B13 can be used after a hard knock down. For example, you can do AS or any other hard knock down and then B13. B13 is +7f on block and provides an additional hard knock down on hit. Also in the corner after a blocked 33 you have time to do B13 as well. Its a really good string if you know how to use. B231 is useless, at least atm. Only use i have found for this string is that it has some low crush properties.

B13 can be used after a hard knock down. For example, you can do AS or any other hard knock down and then B13. B13 is +7f on block and provides an additional hard knock down on hit. Also in the corner after a blocked 33 you have time to do B13 as well. Its a really good string if you know how to use. B231 is useless, at least atm. Only use i have found for this string is that it has some low crush properties.
Are you sure you can do a b13 after a blocked 33? There is a 10 frame gap between the two.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
B2,3,1 is CRAAAAP. If the startup were 16 frames then maybe, but it's too slow and too short to be anything practical.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Are you sure you can do a b13 after a blocked 33? There is a 10 frame gap between the two.
Its a mix up, not a guaranteed block string. Opponent will usually be expecting 4 thing after a blocked 33 in the corner. D3, d1x ES or other specials, a throw attempt, or another 33. People usually duck against DD in the corner, after a blocked 33, to avoid being further hard knocked down, cause thats what keeps going DD's game, especially in the corner. From there you can mix it up further by using B1xES, 3xES etc etc.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
B2,3,1 is CRAAAAP. If the startup were 16 frames then maybe, but it's too slow and too short to be anything practical.
True. I was thinking recently if it could be used as a "pseudo" cross-up after a hard knock down in the corner, but i ll have to lab it to see if it will actually work.

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
A use for B231 is on knockdown against grapplers. Since Doomsday is airborne. It's also +3 on block, which is good. It's also good tool as footsies to counter Grundys who use Walking Corpse a lot.
This is stage specific but if you are near the laser in the Fortress of Solitude. You can do B231~SI, and if its blocked you're at +3. But on hit the laser will hit them and you get a combo. Credit goes to FrothyOmen for the idea.

True. I was thinking recently if it could be used as a "pseudo" cross-up after a hard knock down in the corner, but i ll have to lab it to see if it will actually work.
I've tried. It pretty much doesn't. I remember finding a few cases vs a few chars wakeups that it worked against but the risk is not worth the reward imo

Sublime

Stop blocking my hits with your face!
I use both of them regular, nothing wrong with them :)

B13 is good for pushing ur opponent into corner and B231 is overall gd after cross up i switch between B231 and F23

GoodLifeGodLike,

This was our latest tourney, although its a month old.
Thanks for posting that Metzos

I dunno man, I picked up DD a couple weeks ago and was destroying scrubs and medium players with my eyes closed, and i love playing with him and his suffocating style. So as I got acclimated with the beast, I started challenging advanced players. The type that don't drop combos online, understand frame traps, know the weaknesses of ALL the characters and exploit them.

They are able neutralize the splash so there goes half his game, I can't use a random supernova because ill get full combo punished. The game says his standing one is 10 frame yet when I try to punish a blocked string or a special with it (like Sword Flip) it doesn't feel like 10 frames. Characters with good anti airs are hard to get in on unless you MB Venom, even that most can back dash out of.

I dunno I feel like if you don't have some kind of projectile or even trident like Aquaman has to keep the opponent honest you're already at a disadvantage. If you could dash block like MK then it would be a different story, but it's not and we have to work with the game mechanics we have.

Anyone feel what am I saying or should I just suck it up and keep practicing lol?

MetalPete

MACHKAAAAA!!!!!
Thanks for posting that Metzos

I dunno man, I picked up DD a couple weeks ago and was destroying scrubs and medium players with my eyes closed, and i love playing with him and his suffocating style. So as I got acclimated with the beast, I started challenging advanced players. The type that don't drop combos online, understand frame traps, know the weaknesses of ALL the characters and exploit them.

They are able neutralize the splash so there goes half his game, I can't use a random supernova because ill get full combo punished. The game says his standing one is 10 frame yet when I try to punish a blocked string or a special with it (like Sword Flip) it doesn't feel like 10 frames. Characters with good anti airs are hard to get in on unless you MB Venom, even that most can back dash out of.

I dunno I feel like if you don't have some kind of projectile or even trident like Aquaman has to keep the opponent honest you're already at a disadvantage. If you could dash block like MK then it would be a different story, but it's not and we have to work with the game mechanics we have.

Anyone feel what am I saying or should I just suck it up and keep practicing lol?
The best thing to do is try and bait a couple wake-ups or the classic rush 'n' grab if they think the splash is coming. Or Earthshake...seems to be the best anti-wake up move DD has. I know it's risky, but if you can mess with their heads regarding the MB shoulder drop they will start dashing right into it...I've come to find that DD is best when you pay attention to the opponents animation

Don't forget that the 123 combo can be continued with a venom charge; my favorite "easy" combo.

Vahfy

Noob
B231 is actually one of my favorite strings. As far as I know, it is his only overhead that can link to his MB ES low. I use B23>MB ES all the time. The 2 makes the MB ES whiff though, but the string is easy enough to confirm. If the 2 hits you let the B23 ES rip and are safe for decent dmg. If the 2 is blocked or whiffs, you mash MB and get a pretty hard to block overhead to low. Even if they have seen this before, it is hard to block. If either the overhead or low hits, you still get the float.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
B231 is actually one of my favorite strings. As far as I know, it is his only overhead that can link to his MB ES low. I use B23>MB ES all the time. The 2 makes the MB ES whiff though, but the string is easy enough to confirm. If the 2 hits you let the B23 ES rip and are safe for decent dmg. If the 2 is blocked or whiffs, you mash MB and get a pretty hard to block overhead to low. Even if they have seen this before, it is hard to block. If either the overhead or low hits, you still get the float.
any opponent unable to block from overhead to low in time vs doomsday is not someone that knows how to play vs him

A use for B231 is on knockdown against grapplers. Since Doomsday is airborne. It's also +3 on block, which is good. It's also good tool as footsies to counter Grundys who use Walking Corpse a lot.
This is stage specific but if you are near the laser in the Fortress of Solitude. You can do B231~SI, and if its blocked you're at +3. But on hit the laser will hit them and you get a combo. Credit goes to FrothyOmen for the idea.

Grundy can actually anti air grab b2