What's new

Any PS3 players interested in a weekly "league"?

So I've got this idea, it would at least get us playing with some regularity.

It would essentially be a league, or sorts. Once or twice a week in the evenings, 2 players would play each other in 3, 3 out of 5 sets - or it could be more depending. "points" are awarded based on set wins and total wins.

Example: player A vs Player B

Set 1: Player A wins, 4-3
Set 2: Player A wins, 4-3
Set 3, Player B wins, 4-0.

Player A would get 2 points for winning 2 sets, player B would get 3 points for winning 1 set (one point) and total matches won (12 vs 6, 2 points).
So, 1 point for every set won, and 2 points for total match wins.

That sound like something y'all would be interested in?

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
seriously? No one? What about a PS3/Mame league? If both players have Mame use Mame, but if not use PS3?
A couple things
  1. This has been tried in the past, not only in UMK3 but also in MK2. It traditionally does well for about a month (at best) then dies out.
  2. There is not enough interest in the classic games at this point in time for it to work.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
seriously? No one? What about a PS3/Mame league? If both players have Mame use Mame, but if not use PS3?
Yeah good luck. I tried running an MK2 league last year with very limited success.
Also tried putting together a few tournaments that no one cared at all about.
When MK9 came in, it seemed to take all the attention away from the classics.
Now it's Injustice, or whatever the current flavor of the day is, pulling people away from old MKs.

I must say that the shitty MKAK servers don't help any.
And Mame lagged worse than PS3 for me, I finally said screw that.

I'd be interested in an UMK3 tournament if there are any coming up.
Especially if it's low tier only, or banned top tier.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Who would we ban? Everyone better than kitana? ;)
I wouldn't ban anyone really.
In MK2 tournaments sometimes top tier is banned. I don't really mind either way though, I'll play any tournament.

If we banned everyone better than Kitana there would only be about 7 fighters to choose from LOL.

So, I play on a near daily basis and I see and play people on there almost every day, I see @ReallyMontana on (sorry we didn't get to play our connection was messed up the other night), @MaskedGuard_ , ClevelandMenace, and several others. I can't see how there wouldn't be enough interest in some kind of score keeping/league setup. FT5 once or twice a week wouldn't be that bad over PSN...

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
So, I play on a near daily basis and I see and play people on there almost every day, I see @ReallyMontana on (sorry we didn't get to play our connection was messed up the other night), @MaskedGuard_ , ClevelandMenace, and several others. I can't see how there wouldn't be enough interest in some kind of score keeping/league setup. FT5 once or twice a week wouldn't be that bad over PSN...
From my experience on here with running the MK2 league, and doing tournaments....
People just can't/won't commit.
Look at last weekend's flopped UMK2 tournament.
8 people signed up but only 2 people actually showed.

My MK2 league had some interest at first and then died down.
Nature of the beast I guess.
Unless you're working with a game from the 2010's, you won't get much interest :(

nwo

Noob
People are afraid of commitment it seems. I ran an online UMK3 teams tournament in 2011, and it was a BITCH trying to get everyone together. I was smart enough to plan it taking 2 days, the grand final ended up being on the 3rd day.

ReallyMontana

Making Proper Adjustments
Sorry about the connection.. But that sounds like a good idea to me. :).. If everything comes together then I wouldn't mind