We back baby?

• WE BACK!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • NAH.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Shawnzzy

Scrub Extraordinaire
If you have played Raiden for any amount of time I'm sure you have noticed that his db3 is useless as an anti-air option. It whiffs in some cases and leaves you punishable in situations you shouldn't be. Well I think I found a way to use it effectively. Pardon my lack of videos in this thread, I'm not able to record at the moment so I will have to update with videos later. I do think that the notation will speak for itself though.

Now for the breakthrough.
I was in a match the other day and both of us jumped in on each other. I did a jump in punch and won the trade. I meant to do superman for the corner carry, but db3 came out and it connected. I thought that was odd because I typically eat a full combo anytime db3 comes out. I took it to the lab and found that db3 has some interesting utility as a supplement to the current Raiden anti-air strategy. If you connect with an anti-air move such as 4 you can cancel into exdb3 to continue the combo and corner carry them. The few examples I've come up with landed for about 25%-35%. While this doesn't seem like the greatest damage to meter usage I would like for us to consider that most of us use EXsuperman to punish most zoners.

Here are the inputs. I did these with TG as you can probably gather from my use of LRC, but the concept will translate to MoS and Displacer. I believe the tool will still be viable for our other variations at least to give a new corner carry off option of anti-air. There is a certain timing needed to make sure the second hit of exdb3 will hit. There is a sweet spot where you can consistently hit these. I mean we are the masters of the LRC, we can doing anything, right?

j1-exdb3-b14-LRC-214-ender(this can be a superman, shocker, or grab depending on what you like and your spacing goals.)*

4-exdb3-b14-LRC-214-ender

I also applied this to a typical TG anti-air strategy, lightning string anti-air. This is where you read the jump and use the large hitbox of the lightning string to catch the opponent as they fall.

b31(hold the 1 till hit confirm)-exdb3-b14-LRC-214-ender
f12b2(hit confirm 2)-exdb3-b14-LRC-214-ender
f2 2+4(hc2+4)-exbd3-b14-LRC-214-ender

Most of the time these come from hard reads and in many cases exdf2 works just as well for corner carry, but in a meterless situation sometimes regular df2 will not extend far enough to catch your opponent. In this case db3 will allow you to convert as well as change your position.

I feel this is important for the growth of Raiden as a character because this allows us to establish multiple layers of respect against opponents as well as establishing new avenues to get opponents right where Raiden wants them, the corner. First, we have armored superman to punish zoners who try to maintain space with projectiles, sending them to the corner. Second, we have the ability to cancel any connected j3 or j4 into superman, thus more corner pressure. Now with this use of db3 we can not only take our opponents to the corner, but do a nice amount of damage in the process.

This needs heaps of match usage before it is refined. Try it out, see if db3 works in your game plan. Let me know.

*note: using j1 or j2 may be character specific or jump direction specific because in some cases using one instead of the other will cause the second hit of exdb3 to whiff. For example, when SubZero jumps in j1 will allow you to consistently get both hits of exdb3 while j2 will not. j2 seemed to work when he was doing a standing jump, but this still needs to be tested in more situations.

#THUNDERBOIZ

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I personally think EX df2 is better in all the situations listed if you have meter. Otherwise superman is better without meter.

But since you have a hard on for the move I'll give you a situation where EX db3 is useful that some may not know about. You can use it to get a combo off anti-zoning projectiles with long recovery. For example, against Jax rocket launcher, at about 3/4 screen you can EX db3 on reaction, the first hit will whiff, but the slam dunk will connect before Jax recovers, netting a much larger reward than ex superman (considering it does 13% and you took 11% from the rocket).

Shawnzzy

Scrub Extraordinaire
As long as you acknowledge my hard on for db3 I am happy.
So projectiles with around -150 recovery can be punished at 3/4 screen with exdb3. This is good to know.