What's new

Another joins the TYM ranks!

I'm relatively new to the competitive MK scene. Started leaning how to play MK9 on a decent level about 2 years ago, now. As well as started working on UMK3 and MKX earlier this month. The problem I face is I'm not big on online gaming. Two main reasons.. Becuase my Internet is garbage and I prefer sitting on a couch with my competition. Any advice on how to get friends interested and motivated?

As of now, in UMK3 I've been playing Robo-Smoke (yes, I know the stigma. Happy I can say the tele-uppercut is used mid combo or projectile punish ONLY) and Ermac. In MK9, I main Reptile and play a bit of Ermac, Noob, Sektor, and Rain. MKX, I tend to use Reptile (Noxious and Nimble), War God Kotal, and Sektor.

I've been looking over the character specific thread for a few days now trying to pick up extra tidbits of information to improve my play. Here's hoping for the best!

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Welcome to the foray. I'm an MK2 player so if ever want to hit up that game just let me know.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Welcome to the community! If you have any questions you let me or really any staff member know and we'll be happy to help.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Welcome to the site of the trolls, TYM. :DOGE

Can you tell us where are you coming from? We could tell you some fellas from around here to help you out with this.:cool:

Please ignore the doge posters, this place isn't so bad.

It's a rough climate to be a couch FG player, innit? If you want to play competitively without traveling then you have to locate your local scene (assuming you have one, and assuming they play your game) or you have to jump online. Sucks, but it is what it is.

As for getting your friends interested, just ask them to play. Teach them some stuff if they're interested. I'd always show a newbie some really simple bnb for a character they liked and let that intoxicating feeling of "omg i can hit a combo" be the incentive to further learn the game.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
As for getting your friends interested, just ask them to play. Teach them some stuff if they're interested. I'd always show a newbie some really simple bnb for a character they liked and let that intoxicating feeling of "omg i can hit a combo" be the incentive to further learn the game.
Easier said than done. Depends of their fancies. To make them competitive and like the game, you need to propose for a casual tournament. This is how I got myself into Fighting Games World 2 years ago. To hit the jackpot, you need to find some fellas that have played FGs in the past. Otherwise, to convince them to like it, you need to let them try it, and if they like it, they will most likely try buying the game and start practicing. If someone didn't play any FGs in the past, it's a bit tad difficult for him. He would need to learn everything about them.

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
Please ignore the doge posters, this place isn't so bad.

It's a rough climate to be a couch FG player, innit? If you want to play competitively without traveling then you have to locate your local scene (assuming you have one, and assuming they play your game) or you have to jump online. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Man I wish we had a bigger local scene here in NS. I went to one local tournament (thanks to @ArmedCalf for letting me know about it.) and I'm pretty sure mkx was the only game with noooo setups. So we had to borrow someone's system to play casuals. I think a total of 8 people signed up for mkx. As bad as I played I still came 2nd and won gas money lol. There was a few who played together time to time, but didn't want to play against me in casuals or online later :/. So if I want to play a local player I'm looking at a 5-6 hour drive XD.

Welcome to the foray. I'm an MK2 player so if ever want to hit up that game just let me know.
I'll keep that in mind... For now, I'm going to focus on getting okay at UMK3 and MKX, though.

Can you tell us where are you coming from? We could tell you some fellas from around here to help you out with this.:cool:
I'm in East Tennessee on the border of VA.. About 5 hours from where they hold KIT.. But that's a bit far for me.

It's a rough climate to be a couch FG player, innit?
It really is... It sucks that it isn't the norm anymore.. It's just so more exciting for me. Haha