What's new

An Old-School SoulCalibur Player with a Calmer View on Gear....

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I'd rather play without gear, but my friend would rather play with it. Now someone has to compromise.

IMHO anything that splits the community is a bad thing. We'll see how this turns out.

Reactions: d3v

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
but this is a terrible idea. If the game actually has moves and abilities linked to gear, then we need a event game mode where you can wear your chosen gear. All they need is a game mode with everything 100% unlocked, but I doubt this will happen.
You're overthinking it. NRS has absolutely thought about balancing concerns with unique special moves linked strictly to gear pieces. It'll likely just be bonus effects / stat effects / aesthetic effects. Hell even Super girl's legendary mask from the trailer only had +xp gain as a bonus effect.

I know Boon talked about the possibility linking things like frames and adjustments to combo strings to gear but to me it sounded more conceptual. I still think that there's no way a studio as steeped into their franchises competitive scene will not consider the implications of being able to manually adjust frame data or string data.

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
NRS has already said characters are considered "complete" even before gear, so gear moves / strings would be just as ignored as the rest of it.

Reactions: d3v

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
This is a money grab, make no mistake.

EA Sports and Take Two/Sega/2K have made so much money off of it. It was just a matter of time before others found ways to follow suit.

As long as it isn't all about the gear - and the best stuff is impossible (or super expensive) to get - like Clash Royale - then it will be fine.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Not a money grab when it's optional, we have only ourselves to blame for spending cash to get it easily lol.

I plan on grinding it, but if it's THAT much of a pain or my life gets hectic where I can't play I'll consider getting it depending on price of course. But it's better to have options than not.

But yeah Nobody is as bad as EA, Capcom etc

Last edited:

Esruck Cype

...or just call me E.C.
more like old fraud; Soul Calibur's weapon collection system debuted in Soul Blade.
I knew that much, but I only got into the Soul series seriously with SoulCalibur 1. I tried my hand at Soul Edge, but never got a grasp on it, so I never got Soul Blade for PSX.

Anyway, a bit more on this topic...

I did hear a few times NRS mention abilities that may be tied to gear. This could go two ways, in my speculative mind:

• The abilities end up like Tekken 6 and onward. Starting with T6, the Tekken Team introduced "item moves". T5 had items you could put on your char, but they went further by allowing some items to be usable, such as Kuma throwing a salmon, Bryan shooting a shotgun, and Bruce.... Making little chickens. Item moves were, for the most part, not very good. Only there for shits and giggles.
  • The abilities end up, like mentioned before regarding MMOs, actually useful and good, making the gear modes even more hectic and crazier to balance
If it's the latter, that would be interesting to see how it all pans out. But you have to consider, like a lot of people are already thinking, that there will the "no frills" competitive mode were all the gear and abilities are normalized. Also, seeing as how NRS is trying to be super tourney-friendly, I just can't see them having unlockable abilities being in that mode. How many tourneys have you been to or seen that don't have all the colors or outfits unlocked? That would be a tall order to have any kind of tourney standard where all the gear, including those max level pieces that gives Flash a teleport or makes Superman have a personality, has to be unlocked.

No one fully knows what NRS' plan is, but I can't see them doing something that's pretty much untenable in our grassroots tourney environment

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/06/22/injustice-2-preview-the-gods-are-still-among-us-ps4-e3-2016/

Not sure how many people have seen this article but it has a lot of interesting things to say about gear, most importantly:

"The new gear has different looks and statistics that can increase various character attributes like strength, defense, and overall HP. Gear is dropped on a random roll system for numbered stats, so though you may get aesthetic duplicates, the stat changes could be different."

And:

"Gear can also have extra modifiers like increasing the damage of environmental hazards, and character set bonuses will change some major visual feature about the character. The example I was given was Supergirl’s eye lasers changing color when she obtains her complete set of legendary armor, including during her super move."

So I gather from this that currently gear is not unlocking special moves, and if there really are 'thousands' of pieces of gear then there will not be thousands of aesthetic designs, which in my opinion is good because I have no interest in the stat changes and just want the aesthetic stuff.

This makes me wonder how NRS are actually handling the attributes of gear though. Are they going to give every piece of gear attributes themselves, and have a limited amount of gear, or are they going to RNG the loot drops so that gear drops infinitely with random stat changes (ie Borderland's weapon system)? If it's the latter then I don't know how the pay-to-unlock system will work...

d3v

SRK
Probably going to be like other loot based games with the Diablo-like system of each piece of loot having a base as well as a set number of modifiers (e.g. So-and-so sword/shield/ of the so-and-so) that affect what stats it gets that are all determined by RNG when on drop.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/06/22/injustice-2-preview-the-gods-are-still-among-us-ps4-e3-2016/

Not sure how many people have seen this article but it has a lot of interesting things to say about gear, most importantly:

"The new gear has different looks and statistics that can increase various character attributes like strength, defense, and overall HP. Gear is dropped on a random roll system for numbered stats, so though you may get aesthetic duplicates, the stat changes could be different."

And:

"Gear can also have extra modifiers like increasing the damage of environmental hazards, and character set bonuses will change some major visual feature about the character. The example I was given was Supergirl’s eye lasers changing color when she obtains her complete set of legendary armor, including during her super move."

So I gather from this that currently gear is not unlocking special moves, and if there really are 'thousands' of pieces of gear then there will not be thousands of aesthetic designs, which in my opinion is good because I have no interest in the stat changes and just want the aesthetic stuff.

This makes me wonder how NRS are actually handling the attributes of gear though. Are they going to give every piece of gear attributes themselves, and have a limited amount of gear, or are they going to RNG the loot drops so that gear drops infinitely with random stat changes (ie Borderland's weapon system)? If it's the latter then I don't know how the pay-to-unlock system will work...

Nice post and link, hopefully they give us an option for "just aesthetic customization mode" and "overall gear customization"

I'd prefer a fully customizable color palette to mess with the costumes however we want, this way instead of having to unlock black supermans, white, orange etc just give us the mainstream costume and alternate costumes from movies, comics etc and let us literally color every inch of it however we want, like say standard superman injustice 2 outfit, I want to be able to have a fully black Superman outfit with Silver S crest, red boots and orange cape, white gloves.

I know that sounds weird but you get the point I'm going for. Or say a Black Flash, Red ear bolts, white boots, Gold chest lightning emblym, green forearm guards. Like this kind of freedom should be allowed, but I have a bad feeling they're going to limit this kind of customization with presets, preset trims etc which if you think about isn't fully customizable.

Esruck Cype

...or just call me E.C.
Nice post and link, hopefully they give us an option for "just aesthetic customization mode" and "overall gear customization"
I'm gonna go ahead and just bet that the modes will be exactly that. Just like SoulCal versions of old, the weapons or equipment you got in other modes could be put on your character in the "normal" modes; the stats were just turned off. Having a baseline competitive-standard mode should be a no-brainer, but I still want my BatmanBeyond-Destiny-Titanfall Batman outfit in that standard mode. Sega (and later Namco) both learned that being able to customize your fighter to be your fighter, even just aesthetically, is pretty damn cool (and at times, addictive) for players of all skill levels.

Kinda doubtful on full custom colors though. NRS has been stingy on that in the past, and who knows what kind of weird rules they have to abide by based on DC Comics intellectual property.

d3v

SRK
I'm gonna go ahead and just bet that the modes will be exactly that. Just like SoulCal versions of old, the weapons or equipment you got in other modes could be put on your character in the "normal" modes; the stats were just turned off. Having a baseline competitive-standard mode should be a no-brainer, but I still want my BatmanBeyond-Destiny-Titanfall Batman outfit in that standard mode. Sega (and later Namco) both learned that being able to customize your fighter to be your fighter, even just aesthetically, is pretty damn cool (and at times, addictive) for players of all skill levels.

Kinda doubtful on full custom colors though. NRS has been stingy on that in the past, and who knows what kind of weird rules they have to abide by based on DC Comics intellectual property.
Makes me wish my brother still worked at Warner's marketing arm. He used to show us the official "style guide" that showed how you could and could not portray the characters.

Esruck Cype

...or just call me E.C.
Makes me wish my brother still worked at Warner's marketing arm. He used to show us the official "style guide" that showed how you could and could not portray the characters.
That sounds intriguing. I'd bet money that there is a hard rule of "Superman will NEVER be portrayed in pink in any way, shape, or form"