What's new

All Mk9 Terminology and stuffs (Question)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Well, sometimes i get a bit confusing when i'm reading character's discussions, anyhow, it seems that because we're all from different areas some of us use different therminologies for the same tatics.

I need to write down an new article, but it will only be understandable if i manage to understand the most of the things you guys use when taliking about strategy, so if its mind asking, i would like to see a brief explanation of all the therminology you guys use for tatics, so i can understand what you guys sometimes talk about it.

If still getting hard to get what i'm asking lets make it simple.

What do you guys mean by:

Zonning? (Characters that aproach from the others easely? Or characters that can frame trap into zones easely (Killzone, bait)

Keep Away? (You mean Characters that throws projectiles often to stay away?)

Block infinity? (pressure that makes you block infintely?)
Spamming? (Same as keep away)

Reset (Haha i know that is Re-Setup)

Its there anything else i didn't put in here?

So please explain in to me

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Zoning is using your moveset to put yourself and your opponent in a position that favours you.
Keep away is what it says on the tin, keeping your opponent away from you.
Block infinite is a block string that can only be escaped out of by taking damage.
Spamming is repeatedly using the same moves over and over.
Reset is a tricky one because everyone seems to describe it differently, I'll let everyone else cover this one lol.

Matix218

Get over here!
As far as reset goes,

I would define it as following up a combo with a setup where, if your opponent guesses wrong or makes a mistake, they are re-set into another combo.

IE: Noob Saibots blackhole resets, sub zero b2 reset or corner ex ground freeze reset, scorpion's vortex etc.

Of course there are many resets in this game that are guaranteed that I believe are being patched out (jax corner resets, cyrax, smoke i believe has one too, etc) but if they are guaranteed they should just be called long (and generally very damaging) combos IMO because I think re-set implies that either the opponent guessed wrong or made a mistake which leads them to be caught in the second follow-up combo rather than them just being caught in an inescapable combo followup.

But I am sure the fighting game experts could offer you a better definition of what a reset actually is, I just thought I would put in my 2 cents anyway.

Sasuga

Dojo Trainee
Frame trap: You do an attack and during the recovery of that attack, your opponent thinks he* can retaliate. But you follow up your attack with an attack that is fast enough to stuff your opponents retaliation attack. A true frametrap doesn't allow any retaliation attack to come through, startup wise. So your opponent can still use armored moves for example to punish.

A thing about resets: they reset damage scaling on combo's. You can basically 'drop' any combo and mixup your opponent while he* expects you to finish your combo. And using the confusion caused this way, you can a such start a new combo. But this is not very much used in MK, as far as I know. That is to say, MK doesn't have reset states like Street Fighter, where your opponent recovers in mid air and lands back on his feet.

Another use of the word reset that is used very often within the MK community is when you end a combo in a way that puts your opponent back on his* feet instead of knocking him down, thus preventing him* from getting a wake-up opportunity.

*Probably also applies to female opponents. Unfortunately, I couldn't verify this.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I see see.

keep them coming

So hit confirming here is: any move that can be linked with any other move and give continuity to combos, they can be basic attacks, projectiles or any special move

Ex: Kabal's Air Gas Blast to Nomad dash....

those AA punch, to aything....

D4 to anything that links

Matix218

Get over here!
A "hit conformable string" is a string that allows you a window of time that is enough for you to make a decision based on if the string is blocked or if it connects. Example would be sub zero's 212 where you can input the string and you can see if it is blocked or if it connects. On block you can Hit Confirm (well technically block confirm lol) it into a clone to make it safer and add spacing. On hit you can Hit Confirm into a freeze and follow up with a dash b1(whiff)2, 22, slide punish.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
hmm completly different from what i wrotte, see, that is why i asked for this post, lets see what else has been left behind.

im getting the hang of doing resets but im not sure when to do them or what i should do straight after i land a reset. it puts you and the other player face to face and most of the time the other player will get a combo in on me before i even start one? any advice to help me? i also need a guide for armor moves if someone can guide me to the right place?? thanks:top:

wow, ALL of this is helping me. i watch reos vids to help with frame data, and what im reading here is very clear now. thanks to this thread.