What's new

Strategy AIr to Air(?)

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I might have missed it.

A lot of times, I've noticed that if I win an air to air fight, there's not really much I can do outside of Dash 1 Gunshot, while others Have high damaging combos in the same scenario(Scorpion and Liu Kang, for example). Is there anything else I and others could do if we hit the Jump Punch? I've tried to dash in and get the 1 roll, but It whiffs everytime. I also tried just 3, but it hits about 25% of the time. Many thanks in advance.

A side note, I can't hit 1,2 Roll or 1,2 Gunshot for my life. It usually will hit the 1, then roll or shot immediately, or do the 1,2 and miss the roll/gunshot completely. Or worse it'll just hit the one and then does nothing, losing that extra 8-10%.

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
I just started picking up stryker as a back-up, so take this with a grain of salt.

I found that 4xxRoll works consistently(16%) and that the reset is just dependent on where you meet them in the air. I'm gonna spend some time with stryker in the lab today, so maybe I'll find something more.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Well isn't this a coincidence? It's been a solid 10 days since I last played ya

As for 4 to roll, I'll end up using it most likely, Thanks for the help there. I still can't nail a 1,2 shot/roll though. I'm gonna spend a few hours nailing that down later

Quantus

Yea, from what I see the 1,2xx is just a timing thing. You hit it to early and the shots will go under 'em. Just lab time, haha.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
My bnb's after air to air punch are this:

Air to air punch; 1xxgunshot; dash; 4xxbatonsweep (16% damage; baton sweep is not part of the combo, but may hit the opponent if he doesn't use a wake up to get up)
Air to air punch; 1xxgunshot; dash; 1,2xxrolltoss (this works only if you notice that you are very close to the falling opponent after landing the air to air punch)

RamenO

It Stinks!
After a jump punch in mid air, I always try to do 4xxRoll Toss like Quantus, but the amount of brain fart after doing an AA JP usually makes me stand there with a bewildered look. Still, it's likely your most consistent and easiest execution wise for decent damage. You can also do dash standing 3 for a reset, but as stated in the OP the timing and spacing are a bit tight and tricky.

That's just what I use, though. I think I've seen Vulcan use an extended version of 1xxGunshot in some of his videos. Best bet would be to wait for him or PB to answer that. :)

CRKFIEND

Noob
Yea, from what I see the 1,2xx is just a timing thing. You hit it to early and the shots will go under 'em. Just lab time, haha.
100 percent correct. 1,2 gunshot (hold down 1 for about a quarter second) release. basically you want to try to shoot the opponent in the asshole when they fall.

What's wrong with FJP, dash, 1, gunshot, dash, 1, 2, roll? Or: FJP, dash, 1, 2, gunshot, dash, uppercut?

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
I mostly go for standing 3 after winning a jumping punch. Back in the days I usually go for standing 4 xx roll toss, but the timing on that as someone mentioned is a bit tricky and you have to take into account where you meet them in the air. I have fooled around with it in the past as well and use to land 4 xx EN gunshot (waste of meter imo), 4 xx baton sweep and EN version, and good old 4 xx roll toss. I find dash standing 3 reset more successful in my experience... and for the characters with shitty uppercuts ahem* shang tsung you get a free cross up. The key to consistently landing a standing 3 after the Air to Air punch is to get into the habit of dashing as soon as you land the punch.

I would not recommend doing air to air with Ermac. I swear this character's hitbox is none existent in the air :taz:

I have seen Reo landing 12 xx gunshot ~ dash D4 xx roll toss...maybe you guys can practice that as well :)

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot
Strykers hitbox should be made the size of the robots and Mileena imo. I want to be top tier I won't lie to you I think the Kung Lao matchup would be easy peasy if I could just duck teleports. Why does Stryker need a big gigantic hitbox.

Generally on an air to air you can mash out a lot of stuff its all depending on what and if it cancels into something. Like stand 4 toss is actually pretty easy to match beat down on the 4 and then directional forward back rapidly. But uh; I'd take a reset into a grab low or high. Mix that up. Check them with the baton twice for a wall carry...

Learned this from REO:

jump punch > dash xx 1 xx gun shot, dash xx D4 xx Roll Toss (18%)

I find it pretty hard to do. 4 xx roll is probably your best bet imo even if it's 2% less damage. I personally don't like the JP xx reset because it puts the opponent too far away with not enough stagger to do anything interesting afterwards.

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot
Learned this from REO:

jump punch > dash xx 1 xx gun shot, dash xx D4 xx Roll Toss (18%)

I find it pretty hard to do. 4 xx roll is probably your best bet imo even if it's 2% less damage. I personally don't like the JP xx reset because it puts the opponent too far away with not enough stagger to do anything interesting afterwards.
Depends. If they're in the corner you might be in range for something. If they're really mashy you could back 2 X-Ray them for their wrecklessness.

I can't do anything off of jump punch yet or at least not consistently. I would need someone offline to help me practice that combo.

Or can I do it with dummy set to jump? Because if so I owe practice mode some time.

also ggs cheers

Quantus

Or can I do it with dummy set to jump?
This is how I practice most of my A2As.

Again, I can't recommend 4xxRoll Toss more. It works so consistently (I can't remember the last time I dropped it).

For the people who main stryker, they might want to look into an option that keeps certain characters closer (landing that standing3 is a PITA for me). But I picked up stryker for characters that I need to keep out, so 4xxRoll Toss is GDLK for my purposes.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
hey guys, any idea on follow ups for jump back punch? I'm thinking dash forward 4 xx roll toss, but im not even sure I will reach on time to land the standing 4

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
thats usually all i go to

nothing else i know of that is more effective in that situation, could be wrong though
I was just thinking EN roll toss, but I think standing 4 xx roll toss is best in this situation. That way if standing 4 whiffs we dont have to worry about being vulnerable after a whiff EN or regular toll toss lol