What's new

Strategy - Quan Chi Advocating the use of B1

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
I've recently picked up Quan again, after having not played him for close to 6 months, and have found myself looking for new approaches to the neutral that I wasn't considering in the past. One of the first things that came to mind was finding a use for B1, which I don't typically see any notable Quan players using. The more I use it, the more I see that it actually has significant potential and was likely implemented into Quan's design for a very specific reason. Now, I don't know how ALL of the Quan players here like to use the character, so if you already understand how good this move can be then don't worry reading onwards. This is simply to get people talking about the move and understanding its place in Quan's toolset.

Let's look at the good and the bad of the move.

Good:

- B1 is a 14f mid
- It has a disjointed hitbox, making it great for whiff punishing between the hits of a mis-spaced string
- It can reach from round start
- It can be used as an AA and on the ground (meaning you can often 2-for-1 your read on either a run or jump in)
- Compliments backdash very well
- Great at punishing baited pokes

Bad:
- Both B1 and B12 are -9 on block
- The move is absolutely dreadful on whiff, with 29f of recovery
- If you hit with the tip of the sword, the 2 of B12 won't reach, meaning you can't always hit confirm into trance. It is often more reliable to simply cancel into mb rune as you would with b2.
- Requires thought of when to use. Not an "all applications" move.

There's a few circumstances that I've found b1 to be particularly useful.

The first is at round start. You can often catch people unawares or committing to a button by starting the round with a B1. B1xxEX rune, trance is decent option at round start. You risk losing to backdash so you could be punished for this, or you could potentially waste the bar. This approach is best used sparingly, but still serves a purpose.

Another option is to use it after a backdash. Often if you're negative, your opponent might use the frames to poke back or jump. A backdash gets you out of their counterpoke game, and if they've decided to counterpoke with a string you can often whiff punish for free with B1. Likewise, if they choose to jump B1 will anti air in this circumstance also.

My favourite situation to use B1 is after pestering with zoning. After annoying with skulls and runes, your opponent will often make a read on your zoning with a jump or a run in. Either raw B1 if they have poor spacing, or backdash B1 is a great option to punish them for trying to get in. Again, if this is baited it's terrible on whiff so have conviction in your reads.

The important thing to consider with B1 is due to the disjointed hitbox, it makes it much easier to get between hits of multi-hitting strings that Quan's other normals. 14, b3 and b2 CAN work this way if timed well, but it's much harder to consistently do.

I'm sure there's more situations where this normal is potentially very useful, but I just wanted to kick things off with this thread. If you have any other ideas of situations where this move is useful, let's keep talking about it! I'm going to keep trying to implement this move into my gameplan, since I think it fills the role of being a useful whiff punisher that he otherwise lacks. I'll have footage up of my progress with Warlock soon, so some video evidence will be here to support what I'm saying.

Let me know what you guys think!

@Rude
@Under_The_Mayo
@STB Shujinkydink
@michaelangelo
@all quan mains (sorry, been a while so I don't remember)

AeWhole

Noob
I exclusively start every round with a B1xxTrance.
They never see it coming when I am in online ranked warrior mode.

B1 punishes a lot but honestly D4xxTrance low profiles and gets the same spacing. Just not the same AA capabilities.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I'm a pretty big fan of B1. It's safe (for the most part), it has great range and can anti-air. I've been playing around with it as an answer to Sub Zero's ice clone.

Basically, because it doesn't advance him forward the way that B2 does, and because of it's hitbox, you can actually hit Sub through his clone provided your spacing is on point.

It's a very good normal.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
I exclusively start every round with a B1xxTrance.
They never see it coming when I am in online ranked warrior mode.

B1 punishes a lot but honestly D4xxTrance low profiles and gets the same spacing. Just not the same AA capabilities.
Not sure what you're implying with d4xxtrance here. Not a combo, less range and from memory slower than b1. Completely different moves. Or what it a typo?

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
I'm a pretty big fan of B1. It's safe (for the most part), it has great range and can anti-air. I've been playing around with it as an answer to Sub Zero's ice clone.

Basically, because it doesn't advance him forward the way that B2 does, and because of it's hitbox, you can actually hit Sub through his clone provided your spacing is on point.

It's a very good normal.
Absolutely, the fact that his hurtbox essentially doesn't move is what makes this move as good as it is. I haven't played against GM since I swapped back, so it'll be good to gove it a go when I get the chance. Sounds like a really good option, sonce you should be able to b1 on reaction to their movement, stuffing most of his options.

Aramonde

Noob
Sometimes B1 at the start will work against some characters but i usually get hit if they throw something out.

AeWhole

Noob
Not sure what you're implying with d4xxtrance here. Not a combo, less range and from memory slower than b1. Completely different moves. Or what it a typo?
Alcohol is one hell of a drug... I don't remember typing this carry on.

B12 is great for getting people to respect Quan's safe space. I do use B1 almost every match though haha. Lui, Kenshi, Shinnok, Predator, Kung, Alien, Takeda, Jin, Bo Rai Cho, and I think one more person beats out B1 at start. It's a great scrub check at the start.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
B1 is his best move in the corner when doing a chip rune trap in the corner when the opponent has no meter. makes it impossible to escape and you dont have to hit confirm MB rune for full combo if they try to get hit by the first hit of rune.

As long as your timing is right, of course :p

Goat-City

Banned
B1 is great, I mainly use it as a long range anti air. Bait people to try to jump forward to get over your runes, then try to get them in max range of b1 while staying out of their jump attack's range if you can and get a free combo. I wish they would speed it up 2 or 3 frames though so we could punish some things more easily and counter poke d4s slightly better.