What's new

Advice on Throwing Tournament PLZ

Hi! I am looking to set up the first MK tournament here in Pohnpei, Micronesia. I found a location in the form of a local Australian bar which has a big flatscreen. I've never run a tournament like this before, so I could use some advice and helpful insight on things. I know the community supports MK9 being played around the globe, so I am counting on some generous advice here, plz.

We were thinking of charging $5 for an entry fee. Is that pretty standard? The owner of the bar is going to throw in a bar tab for 1st place too. How does the breakdown normally go for prize money? Assume 8 participants, what does 1st, 2nd, 3rd get?

Also, we only have the one TV and I am supplying the xbox, so there can only be one game at a time. How long does an 8 man tournament take if the games are played 1 by 1? Should it be best out of 3 or best out of 5 or some hybrid? How about a 16 man tournament? I honestly don't know how much interest we will get... it might be 8 people or it might be 16, or it might be some number in between, idk. I don't think the owner (or participants) would really want it to go much longer than 4-5 hours. Is there a bad number of entrants, like 11 or some other number that really screws the brackets? I'm trying to think if there should be a cut-off or something.

Please help with any and all advice you can give, since I am flying blind on this. Any insight would be very much appreciated and go towards seeing an MK9 tournament on a Pacific Island.

Goldi

Warrior
I read this as throwing a tournament, like losing on purpose at first lol :)

Let's see ... Our TOs that come to mind Mikemetroid 9.95 Phil ... Hopefully someone chimes in with more.

There's @CEOJebailey , I know he's always happy to give advice on event hosting, but you may have to grab him off twitter.

Best of luck! :)

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Lead Moderator
For your first tournament I would do 2/3 for pool play then 3/5 when it gets to finals.

Use http://challonge.com/ This is free to use for brackets.

Have everyone come in like an hour before you begin, then at a set time just have everyone play their matches.

I think if you have one system (with Komplete Edition so it has all the DLC, CSZ, Quan, and Human Robos...or just have them all unlocked on the regular version.) with 8-16 people. It could take probably 2-3 hours if people show up and play.

If there is an uneven number amount of players just randomly select a player to get a bye in the bracket like this

bye-

There for 1 already won his first match and will wait for the winner of 2 and 3. Challonge is a really nice tool to use and will help you quickly. In fact you won't even have to add a player called "bye" as challonge would do that for you.

If you do 5 dollar pay out the winnings should be 70/20/10

This means that First place gets 70% , 2 gets 20%, and third gets 10%.

Make sure people bring their own controller and know the tournament rules.

Sit back relax and enjoy some hype ass matches, remember you're the TO and can decide if something is tournament legal or not.

Justice

Warrior
An 8-person tourney shouldn't take more than an hour or two.

In my experience, there is a venue fee and a game fee. The venue fee is paid to the place where you are holding the tournament and the game fee is what's used for the payouts. In your case, it sounds like you have an arrangement with the venue so maybe you won't need to charge the venue fee as long as people eat and drink while they are there.

I think payouts are done 70/20/10% or 60/30/10% for 1-3 place.

Along with the other TOs that Goldfish listed, NeoRussell is a good person to ask as well.

Right on! Thanks for the help so far. Sorry if the title of the thread is misleading.

Question: Would it be improper for me as TO to play too? It isn't like I can cheat.

Also, I think if I make everyone bring their own controller, I am probably killing the tournament. I'm actually counting on a lot of casuals to show up, maybe ex-pats that just want to have some fun and do something a little different. Not sure how many xbox owners there are on the island.

Thanks again everyone, and please keep the advice coming! If the first one goes well then I can look towards making it a monthly event and maybe even doing some Injustice down the road.

Rosegoddess3

Diamond Dust
Thank's for your input everyone (John's my husband by the way, we're both in Micronesia). We really hope this is successful!