What's new

Strategy - Grandmaster additional EX Klone uses

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Sub-Zero's EX Ice Klone offers gives him a lot more utility than meets the eye initially, and a lot of people still don't understand how this move can be fully applied to their gameplay, or the move in general. I will continually update this for more findings. If you're looking for game breaking tech that skyrockets Sub-Zero to God tier, this isn't it. But it does play a part in making the Grandmaster variation a good character. This move can be slept on occasionally because people don't think it's worth spending the bar for, but in several cases it IS worth it. This thread will cover combo extensions and capabilities, clone cancels, and if and when to use it in open space.

1. Combo extensions: The EX Klone can give Sub-Zero increased midscreen damage, slightly increased corner carry, and swag when used as a combo extender.
Midscreen:
- B12 xx EX Klone, RC, B12 xx Iceball, JIP, 242, 1, F42 xx Slide(34%)
- B12 xx EX Klone, RC, F42 1+3, tech roll, NJP, JI2, RC, 123 xx Slide(32%)
- B12 xx EX Klone, RC, F4 xx Ice Ball, dash, cross up JI2, 24 xx Slide, 1, F42 xx Slide(31%) note- This combo doesn't have any corner carry, and is to be used in a situation that you may want your opponent to remain in the same position for whatever reason.
note- You can combo off of F1 xx EX Klone and F4 xx EX Klone, but the midscreen damage is so abysmal that it's not worth burning the bar.
Corner:
- (close distance) F4 xx EX Klone, F42 xx Slide, whiff Slide, NJP, JIP, JIP, F12(31%)
- (sweep distance) F4 xx EX Klone, F42 xx Klone Shatter, 1, B12 xx Slide(42%)
- (sweep distance) F4 xx EX Klone, F42 xx Klone Shatter, 1, B12 xx Frost Bomb, NJP, JI2, F12(46%)
note: B12 xx EX Klone whiffs in the corner so don't try it. It does work just outside of the corner and something like B12 xx EX Klone, B2, 24 xx Klone Shatter into whatever will grant a nice combo in the corner but be mindful of the range it works in. These off of B12 are mainly used for punishes.

2. EX Klone cancels:
- Klone cancels become safer with EX Klone but let me make this clear: things like B12 xx EX Klone and B33 xx EX Klone will more often than not be a bad move. Some characters with limbs that go through the Klone(think D'Vorah) will just smack right through. Even though he is safe from a full combo punish, he is minus and it is more or less the opponent's turn. The Klone goes away on block so you will have wasted the bar for nothing vs some characters. Backdashing IS an option, but once again: Sub-Zero is minus so use cautiously. Only to be used if you desperately need a Klone on the screen or if you are in a matchup that the opponent can't poke through the Klone and want to keep pressing.
- F4 xx EX Klone is plus 11 on block. In the corner this will jail into D4. If the opponent wants to get cheeky and armor through the Ice Klone after F4 xx EX Klone, D4 will occupy the armor and they will be frozen for a combo. This includes forward advancing armored reversals and worked on both Sub-Zero's and Reptile's EX Slides. It really comes into play in the corner as well. For a point of reference, this was tested against War God Kotal's ex launcher. Fast, armored, good range, goes through clone from a distance, checks all the boxes that Sub-Zero needs to respect. After a blocked F4 EX cancel, both B2 and B33 will armor break this launcher. Of course pressing buttons is out of the equation due to how plus you are. B2 may still get punished but the Klone with the EX version is out for extra long, so you may get away with this more often than not vs short limb characters. For the most part, you can use your advancing 12 frame mid and spend a bar to enforce a safeish 50/50 in the corner against most characters. Watch out for Lasher Takeda, D'Vorah, and Predator specifically.(This also breaks Warlock Quan's 11 frame armored launcher, but it is considerably harder. The only characters that can armor out a B2 attempt are Reptile, Sub-Zero, Cyber Sub-Zero, and Kung Lao.)
- 12 xx EX Klone is good to use in the corner sometimes. It will drop the Klone directly in front of Sub-Zero's opponent. It is difficult to combo off of B2 in this state, so the mixup is between B33 and throw. Your opponent can't jump out, so let them hang themselves trying. Sub-Zero is not at frame advantage here so keep that in mind. It will however put a Klone up closer and much longer than you normally can. Some characters can be relatively boned in this situation, but it is situational. This 12 series is a tip I picked up on from @C88 Zombieekiler and he could likely elaborate more on it.

Notes: The EX Klone activates in 6 frames instead of 8 and stays almost twice as long as the normal version, and has armor. Midscreen it isn't amazing, but just makes him safer, and gives him another way to put a Klone up and make the push towards the corner. I'm not trying to up play this move as some godly thing but it can kick ass in some situations.

It is also a great tool for punishes. This thread was made in conjunction with the @RM Ree punish thread, so check that out for more info. I'm not able to link it for some reason, so can someone please do that?:)

Last edited:

KingJerm731

Psn: kingjermx
I don't see a problem with going for a b2 after 12 ex clone. You still get damage and it's not that much less than a b33 or throw starter.
The midscreen b12 ex clone b12 combos still get me. That shit is hard.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Good thread. Whomever decides to undertake the Grandmaster guide task, I'd urge them to link this thread or elaborate on it themselves.

@Dankster Morgan how does Grandmaster's EX clone stack up to Unbreakables EX parry? Or beyond that, have we tried applying EX clone to string gaps from the UB sticky?? I'm wondering if it has armor on frame 1 or not, making some previously unpunishable strings, punishable.

Now knowing the ex clone start up, the HQT MU comes to mind as well. His d4 xx low plasma shot specifically. We could reversal ex clone the d4, and maybe follow-up with a run b12... But would that be a true punish?

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
I just wish EX IC cancels were more plus on hit to be able to combo off of it easier and that it added a bit more damage yo your combo!

Mid screen.
1 EX IC Combo 38%.
2 EX ICs in a combo 47% for when you wanna end a match with big damage.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Good thread. Whomever decides to undertake the Grandmaster guide task, I'd urge them to link this thread or elaborate on it themselves.

@Dankster Morgan how does Grandmaster's EX clone stack up to Unbreakables EX parry? Or beyond that, have we tried applying EX clone to string gaps from the UB sticky?? I'm wondering if it has armor on frame 1 or not, making some previously unpunishable strings, punishable.

Now knowing the ex clone start up, the HQT MU comes to mind as well. His d4 xx low plasma shot specifically. We could reversal ex clone the d4, and maybe follow-up with a run b12... But would that be a true punish?
I'll check out HQT later today. The ex Klone is the best parry in the game because of how low risk it is. Unbreakable's ex parry is okay on paper, but he has the worst meter building in the game out of all 100 variations, so he realistically won't have the bar that Grandmaster has. Even then I still think ex Klone is better.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I don't see a problem with going for a b2 after 12 ex clone. You still get damage and it's not that much less than a b33 or throw starter.
The midscreen b12 ex clone b12 combos still get me. That shit is hard.
Iv realized that you need to run up a bit further than you thought, and you can actually run a bit more than seems possible to combo. Just practice I guess. That's really all that can be done.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I'll check out HQT later today. The ex Klone is the best parry in the game because of how low risk it is. Unbreakable's ex parry is okay on paper, but he has the worst meter building in the game out of all 100 variations, so he realistically won't have the bar that Grandmaster has. Even then I still think ex Klone is better.
As far as MB clone acting as a parry between string gaps, I find that a few things go wrong and I'm not sure why. The clone doesn't form (no freeze), SZ receives no armor despite using meter (gets hit clean dispute spending a bar for said armor), or no input is recognized at all.

Good things that happen are the opponent is frozen or, SZ receives armor and whiff punishes. The latter is preferred. I'll play around with this a bit myself. It might be MU specific or just too inconsistent.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
As far as MB clone acting as a parry between string gaps, I find that a few things go wrong and I'm not sure why. The clone doesn't form (no freeze), SZ receives no armor despite using meter (gets hit clean dispute spending a bar for said armor), or no input is recognized at all.

Good things that happen are the opponent is frozen or, SZ receives armor and whiff punishes. The latter is preferred. I'll play around with this a bit myself. It might be MU specific or just too inconsistent.
It doesnt form between a lot of gaps. For example it will only form in Cassie's b124 if the b1 part of the string whiffs.

Snoop88

Noob

From my last set with friend. I've managed to get ex clone out, connect string after it, get my opponent cornered but I was too far away from the klone to shatter so I went for standard B2 B2 D1 B12xxSlide for 40%. Don't know if this is the best opt for this kind of situation but dmg is pretty decent.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way

From my last set with friend. I've managed to get ex clone out, connect string after it, get my opponent cornered but I was too far away from the klone to shatter so I went for standard B2 B2 D1 B12xxSlide for 40%. Don't know if this is the best opt for this kind of situation but dmg is pretty decent.
I think you made the right move. I would have gone for the F12 setup but the 40% is also really good.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer

Very nice. That spacing was tempting. I think f42 xx ice burst would've given you the shatter. The hit pushes SZ back more than b12 hits would. You totally did the smart thing, just something to think about in casuals.