What's new

Question About Staff Grab

elegie

Noob
How useful is this move outside of combos, is there any way to take advantage of the position reversal, maybe put your opponent in the corner?

I also noticed it can interrupt a number of specials, though there doesn't seem to be much point in trying to do it in most cases, but I am curious what you can pull your opponent out of, and whether or not that aspect could be used in some cases.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
It's kind of a pick your position type of move. At the end of her bnb's you can choose between shadow kicks for corner carry or staff grab for a positional switch. Sometimes it's a good move to use during footsies if you know the opponent is going to dash block in. If it's jumped you are in for a word of hurt tho.

I very rarely use it outside of combos and strings.the only time I use this move by itself is when Im up against cage or kabal.But I don't abuse it,I may do it once or twice at the beginning of the match and that may be enough so that they can tone that bullshit down.well sometimes it is.But like Chance said,if it's jumped,you're in a world of hurt.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I am a huge fan of staff grab. Great range, great when walking back. I tend to do d1~staff grab about as much as I like to do d1~cutter...

elegie

Noob
What about hitting people with it during specials, the other day I took LK out of the flying dragon kick or whatever it's called, I think you can get Sub during slide though that seems pointless since I don't think you can do it on reaction and I think he's -35 on block. I was wondering if there are any situations were you could bait an advancing special like that and hit them with the grab for corner pressure.
I also wanted to know if you could use the grab when you are getting hit with cross-up, as explained in that thread about Ermac, dashing the opposite direction and hitting the opponent with TKP or TKS.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
What about hitting people with it during specials, the other day I took LK out of the flying dragon kick or whatever it's called, I think you can get Sub during slide though that seems pointless since I don't think you can do it on reaction and I think he's -35 on block. I was wondering if there are any situations were you could bait an advancing special like that and hit them with the grab for corner pressure.
I also wanted to know if you could use the grab when you are getting hit with cross-up, as explained in that thread about Ermac, dashing the opposite direction and hitting the opponent with TKP or TKS.
Problem with that is that most advancing special are hella punishable. You want to block and full combo sub on a slide, same with Liu Kangs kick. Nightwolf and Reptile make you have to guess whether they are going to dash or not for it to be effective.

elegie

Noob
Problem with that is that most advancing special are hella punishable. You want to block and full combo sub on a slide, same with Liu Kangs kick. Nightwolf and Reptile make you have to guess whether they are going to dash or not for it to be effective.
That is pretty much what I was thinking but I wasn't sure, the couple of moves I did look up have enough time on block to easily get a combo starter in.
And at 19 frames staff grab doesn't seem very easy to land in those circumstances. Some people do like to do those types of moves to get in though, when you are at full screen and using flash.

Well, thanks for the response :)

I didn't read through other replies but this is what I use it for.

combos? for positioning/damaging purposes.

For pressure?
Although this is a pressure ender, this is what opens the pressure for you.
If you do B3,2, and shadow kick afterwards. they'll naked duck uppercut right? if they do that. the staff grab will keep hitting them.

Once they respect the staff grab during strings, that opens up your ability to do shadow kicks/boomerangs ect ect.

You can cancel pokes with your staff grab. If someone tries to counter poke your blocked pokes. you can cancel your pokes into staff grab. to make them respect the staff grab after pokes.

and it has great range.

it's weak to jump ins so be careful.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I didn't read through other replies but this is what I use it for.

combos? for positioning/damaging purposes.

For pressure?
Although this is a pressure ender, this is what opens the pressure for you.
If you do B3,2, and shadow kick afterwards. they'll naked duck uppercut right? if they do that. the staff grab will keep hitting them.

Once they respect the staff grab during strings, that opens up your ability to do shadow kicks/boomerangs ect ect.

You can cancel pokes with your staff grab. If someone tries to counter poke your blocked pokes. you can cancel your pokes into staff grab. to make them respect the staff grab after pokes.

and it has great range.

it's weak to jump ins so be careful.
Yup. I tend to pressure with d3, d3 then back dash with B32 or naked staff grab. Just as I would d4 and back dash into F21 with Kitana.

on the topic of stuffing D1 into staff grab.

I find that doing pokes into Staff overhead beat out some counter pokes also. or are the people I'm fighting counter poking too slow?

like a max ranged D4, canceled into DB2, I always punish anyone who tries to D3 me back after a blocked D4.

Problem is they can just wait for the DB2, and since I'm not max range I end up giving them free pressure.

but if they wait for DB2, or try to uppercut that. The Staff grab will become viable again.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Staff Grab as a stand-alone:
- Pushback
- Great block meter building
- Puts opponent back in corner if not blocked
- Mindgame to use repeatedly in blockstrings when the opponent is in the corner if they know it gets them out of the corner. They will want to release block to get out of the corner. That is when you end your blockstring in overhead instead. <3