What's new

aaHP

BustaUppa

Westbury Nathan's 4 Life
I had never used the aaHP much, other than in easy punishment situations (after a blocked teleport, midair containment, etc.). But last night I made a conscious decision to incorporate that aaHP into my game more.

I gotta admit, it takes a certain amount of "confidence" to start using this against jump-in attacks. Dude's coming at me with a jumpkick or an air-starter, and my instincts are telling me to just be SAFE and throw out a sweep or something. But NO, I tell myself to stand my ground. Stand my ground, throw out that HP, and try to time it right.

Well I definitely ate my share of JKs last night. But oh man! When I did connect that aaHP, it felt very empowering! I'd be using Sektor, just WAITING for that jump... then aaHP, teleport, walk in RH, throw out a bunch of homing missiles!!!! And I felt all cool doing Scorpion's aaHP, JK, teleport, spear, autocombo. I know these aren't especially impressive combos or anything, but I'm just stoked and mad with power over successfully using these aaHP's to my advantage.

So I really like these, and I wanna get better. What are some good tips on using aaHP's wisely??? Which characters have an especially effective aaHP? Who has a whack hitbox? Etc etc?

EDIT: I just noticed a similar thread here, http://www.ultimatemk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1679
so I'll move this or whatever if the mods would like!

Tim Static

Adminerator
Good on ya mate!

It takes big balls to try itt (especially if you cant do it very good, like me) and I admit I need to do it more myself.

aaHP is absolutely vital to being a good player. Kabal's is easiest for me, 49% no prob, the only kick that gives me trouble punching when I'm kabal is Usub's.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I can still aaHP Kano and Nightwolf 8)

Also Busta, remember to cancel all aaHP's with block no matter what. There's no situation where an aaHP cannot still be followed up after kara canceling. If the JK hits, the contact is made on the collision and pushing area of the punching sprite. In the case of auto combos many times a normal situation will cause the autocombo to whiff in the middle allowing a free counter.

Personally I'd reccomend doing it without cancelling first, cancelling with block is much harder for me. Maybe its just me though.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Canceling with block enables you the one frame of contact you need to hit them. If you don't connect and block, that means you would have never hit in the first place. By putting the jab out there, when they land next to you instantly, they are further away than they would be normally because they already start comboing based on the width of the punching frame's collision and then you go back to normal frame width with the opponent a little bit too far away.

This is a benefit of the kara jabbing which is why you should use it, at least against characters like NW and Kano.