What's new

Question A question to Skarlet's players

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I have nothing against the gimmicks. If they work then go for it, but as of now no one knows how to fight her which is the reason why they work. I stated countless times that once people learn her, the gimmicks won't work. This is similar to Sub-Zero's "Shoryuken Prison". 100% escapable, but if the opponent doesn't know how to escape, it works. We're talking about the highest level, where both players know how to fight eachother and the character they're using.

I've been thinking about making a How to Fight Skarlet video but I'm saving it for after EVO. It'll probably be my last gift to the community before I have to leave.

Wait what? You are leaving?

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Not the forums but I have to head off to college mid August and I'll most likely not have access to MK. I won't be able to test stuff or make vids so there won't be much to talk about on the forums.
Congrats on going to college man! I'm sorry to hear you won't get to play games while your there though :(

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
As a Offline consistent player i do aprove Ninj post, this is what makes skarlet solid, not playing on a fly.

Skarlet play style needs to be balanced in every way and consistently adjusting to the opponents Offence/Defense.

As i said before, in order to your game as Skarlet work, you need to be in "control" of the fight, and this happens with some slight factors on her footsies that needs to be taken in consideration

a) A skarlet player needs to manage her meter (having meter is already a thread, having more will forces your opponent to go against his reads)
b) Spacing in important (a proprer spacing gives skarlet control of the match if you know exactly what you're doing "Range Check")
c) Slide conditioning ( late slides are pokeables, and interruptibles by a 6 frame moves, so exange between very early, early, late, and empty ;Will keep them guessing when to interrupt if they're getting frustrating with it.
d) Know what to do after a blocked slide (if your pressure ends, it doesn't actually means he has the upperhand now, this is when you will have to learn what to do next to be on advantage)
e) Fast decisions (Be able to react to anything quickly with a step ahead of what he expects you to do, Skarlet can't get blown up if she is always doing unexpected things)
f) NO MARGIN FOR ERROR (When you do something, make sure you do well, dropping will endanger your victories)
g) Fast adaption ( Be able to adapt to the situation right away is huge, because if you do, with her comeback factor you can win if you keep patching the mistakes you're forced to commit on a match)
h) Never struggle against your reads( if you do, your skarlet will froze and nothing will come out well)
i) Be patient (like ninj said before this is one of the great keys of her game, remain calm at any situation and just don't fly into your opponent like DBZ)

I had some great matches against others players that were not the usuals, and it felt great to know that some tatics really paid out.

Next Step?
To me is filling up those holes on my game like AA where mosp actually excels at, and more conditioning to bait wakeups.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
The biggest problem I have is having the ability to get in.
When I play against jumpers everything whiffs what I do...
Zoning has been made fo you (air dagger, dager cancel).

Honestly, her biggest problem is the need to take risk. Both down slash and up slash are very risky and she gets blown up offline for using them.
+1. 2 weaknesses : lake of wake ups, and she's kind of risky. Her strings on block are quite safe but the combo starters are a pain if on block. I think, mindgame is the most important part in her gameplay. That's why I'm often doing f4, empty rd, f4, combo. F4 red dash is a good starter but we don't really have time to know if the opponent took the hit or not on the first shot.

@EMP_SCAR : You are a very skilled player, however I think most of your BnB aren't optimum. You usually do f4, down slash, f4, down slash, 2, dagger cancel, 1, 1, 2. You could add 2 free red dash for meter + corner pushing.

Btw, nice skarlet mirror (2 skarlets, we learn 2x faster ♥)

Indeed, when ppl know the mu we can see much more overheads xD

Btw, little message for the kommunity :

COMMENTATORS SHOULD LEARN THE CHARACTER ! MUCH BETTER TO COMENT A SKARLET MATCH !

Next Step?
Showing what she's up to to the kommunity for more overheads :D

Mosp

Noob
Honestly, her biggest problem is the need to take risk. Both down slash and up slash are very risky and she gets blown up offline for using them.

Really what needs to happen is skarlet players need to really focus on getting offline, and playing high level opponents and work on those MU. Does anyone know who

@emp scar
Red raptor
Mosp

Lost to? And which characters they used? Ultimately, we know she highly tourney viable but she needs more tourney experience over all.
I lost to DAB who used Kabal but we both were having problems with the laggy setup and I lost to Guamokun who I play all the time and I switched to Kabal which I guess was bad on my part :(

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls

Really what needs to happen is skarlet players need to really focus on getting offline, and playing high level opponents and work on those MU. Does anyone know who

@emp scar
Red raptor
Mosp

Lost to? And which characters they used? Ultimately, we know she highly tourney viable but she needs more tourney experience over all.
Scar lost to Tyrant (Jax) i think using Skarlet and Freddy both. Then in loser he lost to EGP Shoryuken who i believe uses lui kang.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Scar lost to Tyrant (Jax) i think using Skarlet and Freddy both. Then in loser he lost to EGP Shoryuken who i believe uses lui kang.
Liu Kang can be tough for Skarlet if she commits mistakes before the meter builds to the breaker again, those troll combos from liu blows her up on every mistake she does.

somehow i'm not surprised ^^

I lost to shoryu lui kang for the simple fact that i let him get too many jump in punches, it was basically a game of cat n mouse

Could have....I dominated the first match then the other 2 i just started playing his game instead of sticking to mine n payed 4 it... I usally always d1 punish for cross over jumps but its a miss or hit situation n i was getting blown up sometimes if the aa missed so my crew told me to refrain from attempting them much, and in doing so i think it cost me the lost..

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
Could have....I dominated the first match then the other 2 i just started playing his game instead of sticking to mine n payed 4 it... I usally always d1 punish for cross over jumps but its a miss or hit situation n i was getting blown up sometimes if the aa missed so my crew told me to refrain from attempting them much, and in doing so i think it cost me the lost..
have you tried using d3 when people cross you up? I think with her it will lower her hitbox enough so a jump punch will whiff. It works for shang and i think for her too.

ryublaze

Noob
I've played Shoryuken online the other day and his Liu is pretty sick. He crosses you over in the corner after a knockdown so it'll reverse your wake-up inputs. Red Dash is probably your best bet to get out or get up and block. Sometimes I would get hit out of Red Dash or Blood Drop wake-up. EX Red Dash saved me because of it's invincibility and armor but it wastes a bar of meter. Down Daggers also screwed him over when he tried to parry jump-in punches. I don't think it's that hard for Skarlet as long as she keeps him out and counters his fireballs with EX Red Dash.

I've played Shoryuken online the other day and his Liu is pretty sick. He crosses you over in the corner after a knockdown so it'll reverse your wake-up inputs. Red Dash is probably your best bet to get out or get up and block. Sometimes I would get hit out of Red Dash or Blood Drop wake-up. EX Red Dash saved me because of it's invincibility and armor but it wastes a bar of meter. Down Daggers also screwed him over when he tried to parry jump-in punches. I don't think it's that hard for Skarlet as long as she keeps him out and counters his fireballs with EX Red Dash.
Thats exactly where he got me, with corner jump in punches, the match isnt hard for skarlet to win, its just i wasnt doing what needed o be done

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
FCP/EMP SCAR i would invite you to participate more into the skarlet threads, share your thoughs, and since you, Mosp and L0rdoftheFLY are playing her in the majors, i want to see your games grow, and i really want you guys to take on a Major

As my tournament nerves wear down my playing will be on point, mind u this is my first time being on a big stage and being in the presence of guys like wafflez, tyrant, maxter, dizzy, cd jr n other big name players, top 16 isnt bad but i really wanted to shock the world with a top 8 placement 4 the skarlet community i will do better in tournaments to come 4 u guys, and share any tech i come to find, i got some stuff in the works...

The Scarlett match is not in Liu's favor in anyway. I was playing alot of casuals with Scar and didn't like the match at all, it was really hard to even get one game off of him. She eliminates his wake up with her otg dagger and its hard for me to rush her or zone her cuz she has better tools for either of my options. When I found out I had to play Scar, I felt I had a very slim chance of beating him, in all honesty I don't think I beat Scar, I think he beat himself. I think the advantage I had, was going into the match not caring what the out come would be and had 0 tournament nerves or pressure since I felt the match was so 1 sided. Either way Scar is going to wreck a lot of ppl in the future, as long as he doesn't get what so many players get on the big stage, tournament nerves.

The Scarlett match is not in Liu's favor in anyway. I was playing alot of casuals with Scar and didn't like the match at all, it was really hard to even get one game off of him. She eliminates his wake up with her otg dagger and its hard for me to rush her or zone her cuz she has better tools for either of my options. When I found out I had to play Scar, I felt I had a very slim chance of beating him, in all honesty I don't think I beat Scar, I think he beat himself. I think the advantage I had, was going into the match not caring what the out come would be and had 0 tournament nerves or pressure since I felt the match was so 1 sided. Either way Scar is going to wreck a lot of ppl in the future, as long as he doesn't get what so many players get on the big stage, tournament nerves.
Out of everyone at that tournament theres no one i would rather take a lost to then u shoryu, i was rootin 4 u man, yea ur right, i exploded in the first round but after that the nerves got to me n i beat myself mentaly and started playing wreckless if i play anywhere as near as i do in casuals i should have no problem taking a major, once i get that detroitballn mentality in me id be good, man that guy is so calm at tournies..

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Out of everyone at that tournament theres no one i would rather take a lost to then u shoryu, i was rootin 4 u man, yea ur right, i exploded in the first round but after that the nerves got to me n i beat myself mentaly and started playing wreckless if i play anywhere as near as i do in casuals i should have no problem taking a major, once i get that detroitballn mentality in me id be good, man that guy is so calm at tournies..
Yeah you got me pretty bad.

I want to run that back at some point, I think I have a better idea of the matchup with Sektor now.