What's new

Guide A Noob's Look At Lobo

Dog With A Beer

Bane (noun): a source of harm, ruin or death.
First off let me say that in no way is this a comprehensive, original or even good guide to the beast that is Lobo. This is a guide for players who can't always pull off the perfect combo. This is going to be a bare bones look at Lobo. There are better combos. There are flashier combos. There are combos that land for far more damage. Here I compile the techniques and combos I felt were easy enough to pull off with minimal damage loss. This is about sacrificing a some damage for more reliability. It's written for noobs by a noob.

To give you an idea, you will not see a B3 after a MB Czar Toss because I can't land it often enough to be reliable. You will also not see MB Czar Toss mid combo. I can't land 113DBF2 more than 1/10 times let alone B1DBF2. But if you're like me don't despair... that doesn't mean you can't have fun rockin' the main man! Don't be fooled though, Lobo is a high execution character and requires practice.

If you want a more comprehensive look at Lobo or ways to maximize your damage there's an extremely well put together guide called: The Last Czarnian: Lobo Character Guide by Red Venom which also contains some excellent tutorial videos by PND_Ketchup

The best advice I ever read on Lobo was:

"While Lobo is a relatively high damage character, combos should not be the main priority, you'll need to give up damage in most situations for practicality and safeness. However, once the match is in your favor don't be afraid to go for your high damage options. Just remember that mix-ups are everything with this character."

As stated above Lobo lives and dies by his mix ups also known as his 50/50 game. You basically want to constantly force your opponent to guess if you're going overhead or low (50/50) and when you can land Czar Toss (DBF2) when they block in anticipation of a strike. So on that note we shall begin.

Trait: Lobo's trait now loads TWO nuke shells. These shells lead to a considerable increase in both range and damage from moves that use his shotgun.

J2: J2 is a nice tool for Lobo. It's good for cross ups and you can start almost any combo with it to increase the damage.

JD3: If you do it fast enough you can hit you opponent with an overhead strike to the shins. Catches a lot of people off guard.

3: Amazing anti air move. Also functions well as a 50/50 set up. 3 has great range and is surprisingly fast. Use it to check your opponent and even on block you can score a 50/50 if you throw BF3 (O) or DB3 (L). Just make sure it's a solid read on your part or you risk being countered. Make 3 your friend.

DB3 vs DB2: Note that ending combos with DB2 will result in more damage. I use DB3 because I like the placement of the opponent at the end of the combo.

MB: You will notice that I do not list combos that end in MB. This is because I feel Lobo's meter bars are best used for B3MB/F3MB, MB Czar Toss (DBF2), DF1MB, and BF3MB for the armor. If at any point you want to do more damage you can obviously MB at the end of a combo.

But for those wanting to MB a combo for more damage... be aware that DF1MB with two trait shells loaded does 28% and covers most of the screen... food for thought.

COMBOS TO SAFELY LOAD TRAIT

B12 4 (L) 11%
Low starter that safely loads trait

B2U1 4 (O) 12%
Overhead starter that safely loads trait.

F2 COMBOS - MID STARTERS

F23 (M) 12% / 17% (T)
Ends low. Results in a splat with trait.

F21 BF3 (M) 18% / 24% (T)
Ends overhead.

F21 DB3 (M) 19% / 24% (T)
Ends low.

F21 DF1D (M) 14% / 19% (T)
Ends low. Faster than DB3. Results in a pop up for extended combos with trait.

F21 DF1D 213 (M) 31% (T)
Only available with full trait.

113 COMBOS - HIGH STARTERS

113 DB3 (H) 22%
I use this in combos but it's not terrible on it's own. It starts high but is pretty quick and ends low.

21 COMBOS - MID STARTERS

21 DB3 (M) 19%
Second hit is overhead and third is low. Nice mix up.

21 BF3 (M) 18%
Ends overhead for another mix up option.

21 DF1D (M) 14%
Ends low. Better to use at close range than DB3.

21 DF1D 213 (M) 26% (T) / 29% (T)
Uses trait to pop up for an extended combo. Can use 1 or 2 nuke shells.

B1 COMBOS - LOW STARTERS

B12 1+3 (L) 19%
Low starter, standard string

B1F3 (L) 10%
Starts low and ends overhead. You're actually doing B1 BF3 but you can cheat the inputs and simply hit B1F3 and it will come out. Nice mix up, very fast.

B2 COMBOS - OVERHEAD STARTERS

B2U1 113 DB3 (O) 32%
Overhead starter.

B2U1 12 1+3 (O) 28%
Easier than the combo above.

D2 COMBOS - MID STARTERS

D2 B2U1 113 DB3 (M) 26%
The timing is kinda strict and you have to be careful not to Space Hook (DB2) instead.

D2 J2 113 DB3 (M) 23%
Easier than the combo above.

D2 213 (M) 16% / 19% (T)
The easiest option. Let the opponent fall a little before 213.

F3/B3 COMBOS - OVERHEAD/MID STARTERS

F3 J2 113 DB3 (O) 31% / 36% (T) / 37% (MB) / 44% (MB) (T)
Overhead starter. MB and trait add damage.

B3 J3 113 DB3 (M) 34% / 39% (T) / 40% (MB) / 47% (MB) (T)
Standard B3 starter. MB and trait add damage.

B3 J3 12 1+3 (M) 31% / 36% (T) / 37% (MB) / 44% (MB) (T)
Much easier to land than the version above. Decent damage.

DBF2 (CZAR TOSS) COMBOS - COMMAND GRAB STARTERS

DBF2MB B2U1 113 DB3 (CG) 38%
Unblockable throw starter. This is where the block conditioning pays off. The only real combo I can do with Czar Toss. The 113 comes pretty quick so be ready.

DBF2MB B2U1 12 1+3 (CG) 35%
Easier to land than the combo above.

That's all I've got folks. Hope it helps someone having trouble with the learning on Lobo. Let me know if anything I have listed is incorrect and I'll update when I can. Now get out there and frag some bastich!

P3irce

Noob
I think it's worth mentioning that 3 on block is a 50/50. I think most of my damage comes from getting them in range and then keeping them in check with 3. Just figure out if the opponent is black happy in one direction cause i think db3 is punishable and an un mb db2 is also

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
If you are looking for really easy combos, if you have double trait load and easy b2,u1, 1,2, mb shotgun, does 42% damage and is only dropped in the laggiest of laggy online matches.

Galactic Geek

Losing is learning; winning is succeeding.
Aside from the mistakes mentioned above, this is really good. I have issues doing many advanced combos with certain characters, Lobo being 1 of them. I appreciate how you show how even the shorter, easier to use combos can still be useful in the right situations. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you Dog With A Beer; I also have trouble doing his Czarnian Toss mid-combo & getting the B3 after the fact.

Dog With A Beer

Bane (noun): a source of harm, ruin or death.
I think it's worth mentioning that 3 on block is a 50/50.
Solid advice. I'll update my guide a bit later today. I noticed I have a few formatting errors to fix (in addition to what was mentioned earlier) but I'm always looking for little tips like this. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free