What's new

Question A few newbie cat questions

Runiix

the only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta
Hi People.
Its nice to come back.
I havent been on these forums for a long time, since i stopped MK like 2-3 months ago, but i picked up Injustice yesterday, and i already quite like it.
But, im not a fighting game expert, and i always go to the community here for help, and normally it works out, because u guys normally know it all... It seems like people have been playing this game for months already, but i guess if u play fighting games all the time u adapt fast. But i dont, so i have a few questions for u.

I thought i was gonna be the Joker, but it seems he is not the best starter character for one who havent played for awhile, so i picked up the crazy cat lady today, and it seems she really fits my playstyle.

Q's:

1: What is the most important strings you HAVE to know and remember? Am i right by saying she is a "pressure" character? Not a rushdown like Cage, but pressure... It seems she got some cool high/low mix-ups and it would be really useful to remember those?

2: Should i always wait for scratch to reach 5 ? (thats what ive done so far)

3: How important is the cat stance? Is it good for mix-ups to evade inc high attacks and then scratch their face off with 3?

4: Im not quite following the high/low evade she got? Are they really important for her to survive, because it seems like u really gotta read your opponent and know alot of stuff about the whole character roster?

5: Should u always try to stay in your opponents face with Cat? Even if u are against Flash, Nightwing etc. Or what kinda playstyle is her strenght?

6: Meter Usage: Is it normally best for her super? It doesnt seem like her EX/MB are very useful, and her super is really easy to combo into if u first get your opponent into the air.

7: BnB combos... I know the forums are pumping with combo threads atm, and that is awesome to see. But as i said, im far from an "experienced" fighting gamer, and i cant really see why this is better than that, and u should do this when that happens, i normally go for some 30-40% combos, go practice and learn the sh*t outta them. 2 midscreen and 2 corner, what are the most useful to learn first? - Also when i get some simple combos down, i find it much easier to experience on my own, once i learned a few tips from the more pro players.

i think thats it for now.
as i said, i am abit newbie still on the fighting games, since i mostly play fps on the pc, and im sure u guys are gonna throw some fighting phrases and poetry in my face, and i hope i can understand it. I hope its not to much to ask in one thread, as i said, this page has always been very helpful, and i see myself becoming abit more active in the community now that i got this game myself, so i hope u want the community to grow aswell ; )
i hope everything makes sense, if some of u awesome "eager to help guys" are reading this and just love to help out the less experienced, please drop me a pm, i always have some questions on how to step my game up.

PEACE!

Rorshock

Noob
Hi People.
6: Meter Usage: Is it normally best for her super? It doesnt seem like her EX/MB are very useful, and her super is really easy to combo into if u first get your opponent into the air.
I'm also a noob CW so I can't say much about most of your questions, but MB Cat Dash is a full screen punish. It's very very good.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Hi People.
Its nice to come back.
I havent been on these forums for a long time, since i stopped MK like 2-3 months ago, but i picked up Injustice yesterday, and i already quite like it.
But, im not a fighting game expert, and i always go to the community here for help, and normally it works out, because u guys normally know it all... It seems like people have been playing this game for months already, but i guess if u play fighting games all the time u adapt fast. But i dont, so i have a few questions for u.

I thought i was gonna be the Joker, but it seems he is not the best starter character for one who havent played for awhile, so i picked up the crazy cat lady today, and it seems she really fits my playstyle.

Q's:

1: What is the most important strings you HAVE to know and remember? Am i right by saying she is a "pressure" character? Not a rushdown like Cage, but pressure... It seems she got some cool high/low mix-ups and it would be really useful to remember those?
F112- Combo starter, advancing
112- for punishing
B12d3- For a mixup
33b2
F2D31, F2U31- Both start combos, mixup
etc.

2: Should i always wait for scratch to reach 5 ? (thats what ive done so far)
Nah. If you want to end a combo with it it gives you about 5% more damage. You can also use it after a string is blocked to be safe or catch punishes.

3: How important is the cat stance? Is it good for mix-ups to evade inc high attacks and then scratch their face off with 3?
Cat stance 3 is really good. It can punish projectiles and you can make them fear it. After that cat stance 2 can get those waiting for the 3. Cat stance 1 can be used in combos I think

4: Im not quite following the high/low evade she got? Are they really important for her to survive, because it seems like u really gotta read your opponent and know alot of stuff about the whole character roster?
I wrote an evade guide, just read it and see unusual stuff. Most command grabs can be low evaded for full combos, prohectiles can be high evaded for full combos etc.

5: Should u always try to stay in your opponents face with Cat? Even if u are against Flash, Nightwing etc. Or what kinda playstyle is her strenght?
Too early to tell. I personally have been trying to stay in their fac ecause at fullscreen she doesnt have much. I find it better to try and be patient and wait for mistakes.

Lol no. EX Cat Dash goes fullscreen, is a combo starter, and can anti air. Her super is super ineffective. You can also use it to clash which if you have more meter gets you health regen.

7: BnB combos... I know the forums are pumping with combo threads atm, and that is awesome to see. But as i said, im far from an "experienced" fighting gamer, and i cant really see why this is better than that, and u should do this when that happens, i normally go for some 30-40% combos, go practice and learn the sh*t outta them. 2 midscreen and 2 corner, what are the most useful to learn first? - Also when i get some simple combos down, i find it much easier to experience on my own, once i learned a few tips from the more pro players.
Learn combo starters and like 1 combo for them. As long as your prepared when you get the starter, you will be good

i think thats it for now.
as i said, i am abit newbie still on the fighting games, since i mostly play fps on the pc, and im sure u guys are gonna throw some fighting phrases and poetry in my face, and i hope i can understand it. I hope its not to much to ask in one thread, as i said, this page has always been very helpful, and i see myself becoming abit more active in the community now that i got this game myself, so i hope u want the community to grow aswell ; )
i hope everything makes sense, if some of u awesome "eager to help guys" are reading this and just love to help out the less experienced, please drop me a pm, i always have some questions on how to step my game up.

PEACE!
Response in red.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
@Zoidberg747

Zoid, can you tell me if MB Dash has armor on it? And what about the trait? Does it have any armor? Does it hit mid?
You know, I believe that MB Cat dash has armor, but I never really tested it tbh.

On the trait thing I am not sure either. Im pretty sure it hits mid but not 100%. I can test it whenever I get back into the lab though.

Rorshock

Noob
Under_The_Mayo
I'm rather sure that the MB Dash has 1 hit of armor on it. It can go through single-hit projectiles or normals, but it can't go through, say, Deathstroke's guns.

Also, the armor doesn't seem to start until you get to the "meter burn portion" of the dash (i.e. when she glows blue). So for the first half of the dash, there's no armor.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Under_The_Mayo
I'm rather sure that the MB Dash has 1 hit of armor on it. It can go through single-hit projectiles or normals, but it can't go through, say, Deathstroke's guns.

Also, the armor doesn't seem to start until you get to the "meter burn portion" of the dash (i.e. when she glows blue). So for the first half of the dash, there's no armor.

That is correct. There is one hit of armor on the second dash of MB Cat Dash. MB Cat Dash is basically a full regular Cat Dash then a second one, unless she's in the range for the first dash to hit, then she comes back around.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So a few things:

-Although you'll rarely have meter for her super, it is highly effective for one thing: it's practically a guaranteed anti-air. If your opponent jumps at you, activate it and they're toast
-Also, learn the upside/downside of cat stance 3 -- it's super useful for getting through certain things, but it also moves you far back from your opponent afterwards. So pick your spots. Cat stance 1 can be used for cancelling out of blockstrings to bait punishes for full combo.
-As far as which BnB is better than another, usually the following things are consideted:

1) Damage - Which does the most?
2) Ease of execution - A BnB isn't much use if you drop it due to the difficulty of connecting it. So reliable = good
3) Ender - Does it keep you close? Does it push them away? Does it give you time to run in and get close before they can get up? etc.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Her 50/50 is b+1 vs. b+2 or f+3. Although the difference in speed means it can be fuzzy guarded. You have to delay the b+1 to mess up their timing.

Runiix

Alright, here are some of my problems/questions i found while playing her all day yesterday.
i hope i make sense.

-The jump in 2 can be very difficult to land, it has sort of odd range properties.
-Normally i do: Ji1, f112, cat dash into a combo. I know cat claws does more damage, but again, i find it kinda hard to land the b3 after the cat claws?
-What sort of strings, both block and normal strings are best used for pressure game? Besides the normal forward and standing 112, b12d3, 33b2 - im trying to get used to these, course that is what Zoidberd advised.
It seems if u use her full strings, they are not all to good if they are being blocked?
-I cant seem to figure out her best AA? I dunno how to do all the fancy stuff in practice mode tbh.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Alright, here are some of my problems/questions i found while playing her all day yesterday.
i hope i make sense.

-The jump in 2 can be very difficult to land, it has sort of odd range properties.
-Normally i do: Ji1, f112, cat dash into a combo. I know cat claws does more damage, but again, i find it kinda hard to land the b3 after the cat claws?
-What sort of strings, both block and normal strings are best used for pressure game? Besides the normal forward and standing 112, b12d3, 33b2 - im trying to get used to these, course that is what Zoidberd advised.
It seems if u use her full strings, they are not all to good if they are being blocked?
-I cant seem to figure out her best AA? I dunno how to do all the fancy stuff in practice mode tbh.

You use jump 2 at far range to get in or blow up a projectile you jump over. Jump 2~Cat Claws is good because it's combo on hit and safe on block. Use jump 1 and 3 when you're closer, around sweep distance, or to cross up.

Practice. After a Cat Claws hits I pause slightly, let them begin falling down and then do b+3.

Probably her best string besides b+1,2,d+3 is the f+1,1,2,3 string. It's range is at sweep distance and the first hit is +1.

MB f+3, preemptive jump 1 or let their jump attack whiff and punish their landing with d+1~cat claws.

Runiix

You use jump 2 at far range to get in or blow up a projectile you jump over. Jump 2~Cat Claws is good because it's combo on hit and safe on block. Use jump 1 and 3 when you're closer, around sweep distance, or to cross up.

Practice. After a Cat Claws hits I pause slightly, let them begin falling down and then do b+3.

Probably her best string besides b+1,2,d+3 is the f+1,1,2,3 string. It's range is at sweep distance and the first hit is +1.

MB f+3, preemptive jump 1 or let their jump attack whiff and punish their landing with d+1~cat claws.
- Alright so is it best to go for the Ji1, when u are trying to go for a combo? And can u do anything after Ji3? course i havent found any use of it.

- Yea, i figured it would just be practice. Because when people get better at this game, u will get blown up after a blocked cat dash.

- Normally i use the f112 the most, course it combos into cat dash/claws, and then i can go into the full combo. the b12d3, is really good for mix-ups and pressure it seems. Are those the 2 strings i wanna stick to, together with maybe 33b2?
Course i remember in MK u only had to remember 3-4 strings on each character, to be covered all around. but i dunno if it is the same in Injustice?

- Do u mean that both f3 MB and standing 1 is the best AA?
But i guess the best thing is really to punish, if u know they are going for a Ji attack.

btw, just some ass kissing... I loved your Kitana in MK 16bit, so fun to watch. are u gonna be CW main in Injustice?
Cheers!

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
- Alright so is it best to go for the Ji1, when u are trying to go for a combo? And can u do anything after Ji3? course i havent found any use of it.

- Yea, i figured it would just be practice. Because when people get better at this game, u will get blown up after a blocked cat dash.

- Normally i use the f112 the most, course it combos into cat dash/claws, and then i can go into the full combo. the b12d3, is really good for mix-ups and pressure it seems. Are those the 2 strings i wanna stick to, together with maybe 33b2?
Course i remember in MK u only had to remember 3-4 strings on each character, to be covered all around. but i dunno if it is the same in Injustice?

- Do u mean that both f3 MB and standing 1 is the best AA?
But i guess the best thing is really to punish, if u know they are going for a Ji attack.

btw, just some ass kissing... I loved your Kitana in MK 16bit, so fun to watch. are u gonna be CW main in Injustice?
Cheers!

If a jump 3 hits you can do 1,1,2 into a combo.

Those are the main strings I use, yes. In my opinion Catwoman is not truly a pressure character. Not continious pressure at least. She's about conditioning the opponent to sit still and block so she can do her 50/50 mixups.

Not standing 1. I mean her jumping 1. It's her fastest jump attack and one of the faster jump attacks in the game. By preemptive jump 1 I mean if you think they're going to jump you jump. Then when you're jumping if you see them begin a jump you hit 1 to do jump 1. You'll beat them out. Also by letting them land and doing d+1~cat claws I'm talking about the recovery of a whiffed jump attack. In this game if you do a jump attack, hit nothing and then land there is a lot of recovery. You can actually see it, when they land they'll kinda hunch down and then stand back up. They're vunerable during those frames. So if they jump attack and you walk back and it whiffs...you get a free d+1~cat claws.

Thanks for the props! I am not sure who I'm going to main as my tournament character. Right now I play Catwoman and Killer Frost. I enjoy playing Catwoman more and love her character, both in this game and in comics/TV/movies, but I do much better with Killer Frost. Not sure what I'm going to do it's making me emo lol.

Runiix

If a jump 3 hits you can do 1,1,2 into a combo.

Those are the main strings I use, yes. In my opinion Catwoman is not truly a pressure character. Not continious pressure at least. She's about conditioning the opponent to sit still and block so she can do her 50/50 mixups.

Not standing 1. I mean her jumping 1. It's her fastest jump attack and one of the faster jump attacks in the game. By preemptive jump 1 I mean if you think they're going to jump you jump. Then when you're jumping if you see them begin a jump you hit 1 to do jump 1. You'll beat them out. Also by letting them land and doing d+1~cat claws I'm talking about the recovery of a whiffed jump attack. In this game if you do a jump attack, hit nothing and then land there is a lot of recovery. You can actually see it, when they land they'll kinda hunch down and then stand back up. They're vunerable during those frames. So if they jump attack and you walk back and it whiffs...you get a free d+1~cat claws.

Thanks for the props! I am not sure who I'm going to main as my tournament character. Right now I play Catwoman and Killer Frost. I enjoy playing Catwoman more and love her character, both in this game and in comics/TV/movies, but I do much better with Killer Frost. Not sure what I'm going to do it's making me emo lol.
Alright, it makes sense. Gotta get used to all the mix-ups i gotta use then, and playing some sort of mind-pressure games with my opponent.

What 3-4-5 strings (sry for asking again, but this is the thing i really wanna get used to the fastest) do u use with CW? and do u ONLY use those? besides the normal attacks d1 etc.

f112
standing 112(3)
33b2
b12d3

and... anymore than that?
and it also sounds like i gotta do a d1 quite often for the 50/50, and then hit confirming into full combo.

appreciate the help a whole lot from everybody!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Runiix if I were you, I'd go through all her strings, look through the frame data try them out and see what they do on hit and on block, what the range is, how they space people etc. Set the AI to "Reversal" or "Wakeup" and see what they can punish and how quickly they get up. Try a bunch of different things out in real matches and see how your opponent reacts. You will learn far more from this than having us say "use these" or "don't use these".

The key is to use each tool in the right situation -- and to learn to do that, you have to familiar with all of the tools :) You might find a use we didn't think of, for something we didn't consider.

Runiix

Runiix if I were you, I'd go through all her strings, look through the frame data try them out and see what they do on hit and on block, how they space people etc. Set the AI to "Reversal" and see what they can punish. You will learn far more from this than having us say "use these" or "don't use these".

The key is to use each tool in the right situation -- and to learn to do that, you have to familiar with all of the tools :) You might find a use we didn't think of, for something we didn't consider.
Ah yes, u are quite right. I tend to ask abit to much sometimes lol.
The problem is also that i heard the frames in game are kinda messed up and untrue? + i dunno much about frame data, so that also makes me "doubt my own choices" - And then instead just asking the pros, but u are right. Learning on your own can be much more beneficial :)