What's new

A.B.I.torial: Mortal Kombat 11 First Impressions

Gamer68

Fujin!
In summary:
  • Had to skim through the footage to find truly bad animations, whereas in MKX they were everywhere so he didn't really need to do that. Basically, most animations are significantly improved and are actually good.
  • Poses are better and don't have unnecessary movement, but characters seem to keep their upper body pose while walking which can make things look kinda stiff and unexciting. Not really bad, just not exciting.
  • Some characters like Geras has strings where they attack with the same arm 3 times in a row which can look odd, kind of a bad design decision.
  • Some characters like Raiden have legacy normals from MKX that are improved but still not perfect.
  • The Fatal Blows seem to look good.
  • Goes on to say that he doesn't hate the MK series he just wants better animations, and MK11 seems to be a big step up. Improvements are still needed at areas, though. He looks forward to the release of the game.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Remember, not everyone who critics NRS hates them, in fact most of them know they can push further in improvement and become even better that we know they can be..

Some of us have been bashed by some for making critics they can Improve, and NRS being NRS, i'm actually glad and relieved to know that they consider every opinion and that it has weight over the company.

I've been extremely vocal pointing out things i didn't like mechanical though i dunno to what impact this has been affected, yet i'm extremely happy to know that within the gameplay reveal one of the things i've been extremely vocal about was actually addressed, and no, i'm not talking about animation.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
i think i remember that. btw the stance switch troll button is still there (!!!)
Its, and it has a lot of aplications nows, according to Derek and Paulo's interviews

To roll on a wake-up is a combination of the stance button plus Forward or Backwards.

And to according to Paulo's interview some characters can actually use in their moveset, like it seems Sonya and Skarlet do have a Stance which can give access to other moves, so you have to hold that button.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
And to according to Paulo's interview some characters can actually use in their moveset, like it seems Sonya and Skarlet do have a Stance which can give access to other moves, so you have to hold that button.
Oh shit, for real? This is actually a solid design choice imo.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
My issue with A.B.I.torial's MKX video wasn't that he was talking about the animations poorly; it was the know-it-all/condescending attitude that he seemed to have during the video. And he seemed angry whilst making said video. And the title of said videos didn't help either.
And it's carried around as though the game is a flop because of said animation failures, when in reality, 99% of people who have played the game never complain about having an issue looking at the animations. I asked a ton of people about how they felt after watching the video what they thought about MKX's animation because I genuinely agreed with him and wondered if people disliked it as well, but no one I asked seemed to have an issue with it. Some people had certain animations that they thought were odd, but besides that, no one ever complained about them. Like myself, people only found certain things like this weird when I sent them the video link, and even then, no one complained afterwards when playing the game. That's not to say that just because people don't complain that it 's automatically fine, but still.
At any rate, It's good that he doesn't sound so angry anymore. We'll see how the game goes on.