Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Scorpion's TAKEDOWN

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • None of these!

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Ok bear with me, as I have a pretty bad cold. But I didn't want to neglect the weekly "Top 5" thread and poll. Since I'm feeling so dismal, tonight seems like the perfect time to talk about the worst special moves in MK2....

5: Sub-Zero's FREEZE
Seems like one of the coolest moves ever, but in reality, it's quite terrible. It can be blocked, and does no chip damage. He doesn't have many moves to begin with, so the freeze becomes pretty predictable for opponents. It does have a few pros (stops Mileena from air sai spamming, trades well with Scorpion's spear, etc) but not enough to keep it off of my Worst Specials list.

4: Baraka's BLADE SPARK
This really wouldn't be a terrible projectile if 1) you could aim the spark high/low and 2) you couldn't be swept from seemingly full-screen when he's in his animation. But alas, he can get swept from afar when he shoots one, and the spark is relatively small and one-dimensional. Doesn't make sense to me why a guy like Kung Lao with 4 Specials can aim his hat projecile, but Baraka with 3 Specials, can't aim his Spark?

3: Cage's RISING UPPERCUT
This move suffers from it's unfortunate input more than anything else. It's actually an awesome looking move, and a nice anti-air. How about B,B, HP instead of B,D,B HP? Would make it a lot easier and more reliable of a move. Also it could use some more range, like Shao Kahn's Rising Shoulder move in MK3.

2. Reptile's FORCEBALL
Ah Reptile. Did you really think you wouldn't make a Top 5 "Worst of..."? Don't get me wrong, I love Reptile and I love the Forceball. But here's a list of things you can do WHILE Reptile's in his Forceball animation: get married, graduate college, travel around the world in a hot air balloon, file your taxes and.... shoot Mileena's sais about 100 times. Honestly though, the start-up animation for the Forceball is the worst in MK2. More like a FARCEball. If he could project them as fast as in UMK3, Reptile would probably be a high mid-tier player.

1. Scorpion's TAKEDOWN
And the useless move of the game Award goes to...uh yeah. Not only is this an appallingly bad move, it also has an input similar to a sweep kick! Which means half the time you try to sweep someone, you do this piece of shit move instead and eat it big time. Even if you hit someone with this, you are open to take an uppercut as soon as you stand up anyway. Great tradeoff! Save this move for when your opponent's on Danger, or as a Finishing Move to look cool.

5 terrible special moves... and all from the 5 lowest tiered players in MK2. It's pretty easy to see that with a little re-tweaking, the game could be balanced out immensely.

Scorpion's leg takedown is awesome. It's wonderful for aggravating opponents. Jump kick into leg takedown to end round or match is the best.

Ththuvhul, you just like to argue. You know scorpion's leg takedown is trash. Why would it aggravate anyone? I love when people do it, because I get a free hit afterward. I'll give the move credit for one thing. Lets say you jk your opponent and that chip damage puts them on danger, so they jump away as soon as they block the jk. A sweep will whiff because they jumped away, but the leg takedown does actually catch people at a certain height in the air, so it does have a practical use for finishing rounds. It's still the worst move in MK2 by far though.

Cage's shadow uppercut comes in second for me. It's really a read dependent move, but if you guess wrong you're gonna pay for it.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Ththuvhul, you just like to argue. You know scorpion's leg takedown is trash. Why would it aggravate anyone? I love when people do it, because I get a free hit afterward. I'll give the move credit for one thing. Lets say you jk your opponent and that chip damage puts them on danger, so they jump away as soon as they block the jk. A sweep will whiff because they jumped away, but the leg takedown does actually catch people at a certain height in the air, so it does have a practical use for finishing rounds. It's still the worst move in MK2 by far though.

Cage's shadow uppercut comes in second for me. It's really a read dependent move, but if you guess wrong you're gonna pay for it.
Actually he loves that move, and tries to make it work. But the takedown will just get you killed, yeah.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
He likes it because everyone says its garbage, so he's just trying to prove people wrong.
Yeah I think he's trying to make it work. I've never seen anyone be able to, so I give him props for trying.

It's unfortunate because the takedown could really be an awesome CQC move. Imagine if it were unblockable and/or unpunishable?

Rosegoddess3

Diamond Dust
2. Reptile's FORCEBALL
Ah Reptile. Did you really think you wouldn't make a Top 5 "Worst of..."? Don't get me wrong, I love Reptile and I love the Forceball. But here's a list of things you can do WHILE Reptile's in his Forceball animation: get married, graduate college, travel around the world in a hot air balloon, file your taxes and.... shoot Mileena's sais about 100 times. Honestly though, the start-up animation for the Forceball is the worst in MK2. More like a FARCEball. If he could project them as fast as in UMK3, Reptile would probably be a high mid-tier player.
Lol, so true. SLOW!!

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I had no idea Scorp's takedown was uppercut punishable on HIT in MK2. :confused: I thought it was ridiculous enough that it was initially unsafe on block in MK9..

Meanwhile, Kabal's buzzsaw goes from being the laughing stock of UMK3 specials to the one of the biggest nerf requests in MK9. Intradasting.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I had no idea Scorp's takedown was uppercut punishable on HIT in MK2. :confused: I thought it was ridiculous enough that it was initially unsafe on block in MK9..

Meanwhile, Kabal's buzzsaw goes from being the laughing stock of UMK3 specials to the one of the biggest nerf requests in MK9. Intradasting.
Hopefully we'll get a re-released balanced version of MK2 in our lifetimes.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Hopefully we'll get a re-released balanced version of MK2 in our lifetimes.
Well if MK2 were to ever get another revision, Scorp would probably be top 3 with MHF (multiple hellfire) spam and we'll be back at square one :p

Does beg the question though, I wonder if NRS would keep the charge inputs or not if they tweaked any of the original games..

Scorpion's leg take down may be worthless against advanced players, but it's a lot of fun to mess around with players who don't know or don't respond quick enough to the attack. I also think there might be a chance.....if you just catch your opponent at the edge, the uppercut could miss, or the distance gives you sufficient time to block. not sure though. could be lag saved me everytime. you'd be surprised how many players hesitate to punish it though.

Teleport can usually help with that, though, more often than not, you'll probably get jabbed at least once. Scorpion can shake it off. I only regret the move when I get caught up in something that is, or is potentially more damaging than the uppercut. Only thing worse I can think of is missing with the manuver entirely.