What's new

Match-up Discussion 5 Best Matchups in MK2 (New weekly thread and poll)

What is the best matchup in MK2?

• RAIDEN vs SCORPION

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CAGE vs SUB-ZERO

• BARAKA vs JAX

• Total voters

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Every few weeks, I'm going to create a thread involving the "5 Best..." or "5 Worst..." things in MK2. These will range anywhere from 5 Best Special Moves to 5 Worst Matchups, in MK2.
I'll also post a poll so that you can read my review, and either agree with me, or choose your own.
MK2 becomes more fun when you talk about it, and then play it, so let's do just that!
Without further ado, here is the first one:

5 BEST MATCHUPS IN MK2

These are the matchups I personally find the most fun, regardless of fairness/balance.
Respond to the poll, and then post your own Top 5!

5. RAIDEN vs SCORPION
A pretty even match IMO, this one is always filled with craziness mostly thanks to both players' teleports. Both can pressure the other well with CQC, and have good counters when the other makes a mistake. Many times when I choose Raiden or Scorpion, my oppenent picks the other, to my delight.

4. MILEENA MIRRORS
The most balanced matchup in MK2- both players have the Queen Bee of MK2 and no one can complain. The matches are fast, insane, and exciting. Yes it becomes a spam-fest at times. But I guarantee you at a high level, simply spamming with her won't be enough to win.

3. CAGE vs SUB-ZERO
Ok I'm biased here. I don't really find it as fun with Sub-Zero because he has to play defense. But this is a match where Cage can really shine. Subz has nothing to keep Johnny from being aggressive other than a slide and aaRH, both of which can be avoided if you play smart. Bossing Subby around with Cage is super fun. :cool:

2. BARAKA vs JAX
Super aggressive Baraka vs super turtler Jax. This match is fun because Jax CAN be aggressive, and really make Baraka look like bottom tier trash. On the other hand, Baraka can make top tier Jax look like a slow, useless, punching bag. Depends on how it plays out. My absolute favorite match with Baraka, and one that makes me salivate :D

1. KITANA vs JAX
Jax probably has the edge, but he will have to fight hard to come out ahead. Kitana wants to be aggressive, but it's very hard against a smart Jax. Obviously, I love using Kitana in this one, but it's also very fun with Jax. A pretty even match, in which both characters at their best, can make the other look just plain silly. This is the only match in MK2 that I've played 150 straight in one sitting.

Your turn. Agree with me? Pick your favorite and/or list your own!

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Good idea. I'll sticky the most current thread for the week until the new one comes out.

As far as my answer goes, I don't know if it's my favorite...but Kang VS Mileena comes to mind just because I play it so damn much.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Good idea. I'll sticky the most current thread for the week until the new one comes out.

As far as my answer goes, I don't know if it's my favorite...but Kang VS Mileena comes to mind just because I play it so damn much.
Cool thanks :)
That is always a fun match with either character!

Basically, I enjoy any matchup that allows both characters to use their full arsenal of moves(specials and normals). Scorpion vs Sub comes to my mind. I don't care for matchups that become a battle of special moves with very little use of CQC tactics.

*edit* I also love kung lao mirrors.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Basically, I enjoy any matchup that allows both characters to use their full arsenal of moves(specials and normals). Scorpion vs Sub comes to my mind. I don't care for matchups that become a battle of special moves with very little use of CQC tactics.

*edit* I also love kung lao mirrors.
So how do you feel about Baraka vs Jax? I suppose in that one Jax relies on his specials to win usually.
How about Baraka vs Cage? It does become a spam-fest at times, but up close it is one of the best matches in MK2 I think.

So how do you feel about Baraka vs Jax? I suppose in that one Jax relies on his specials to win usually.
How about Baraka vs Cage? It does become a spam-fest at times, but up close it is one of the best matches in MK2 I think.
I like Baraka vs Jax if the Jax player is mixing up his strategy, but if he has a typical runaway style then I don't care for it too much. Jax can be effective up close, but people tend to take the boring route. I honestly don't remember the last time I played Cage vs Baraka, but I can see how this matchup would incorporate alot of different strategies.

I actually believe that Jax vs Kung Lao is a Amazing Match up one of my favorites. I find it more interesting than baraka vs jax. All Baraka has against Jax is Jab pressures and has to rely on his Drop Kick to even get a CQC going on.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I actually believe that Jax vs Kung Lao is a Amazing Match up one of my favorites. I find it more interesting than baraka vs jax. All Baraka has against Jax is Jab pressures and has to rely on his Drop Kick to even get a CQC going on.
I love Jax in a lot of match ups, really. Lao vs Jax is another match that is fun with either character.

Baraka uses more than just his jump kick vs Jax though. Yes he relies heavily on jab, but his walk is so fast that he can chase Jax down better than anyone else in MK2 can. And if he can corner Jax, it's usually lights out for Mr. Briggs.