What's new

321 problem

tweek

Noob
Hey lads,
I'm having a serious problem with beginning the 321 dash combo. It is not that I cannot perform it, I have no problem in practice, but whenever I go online I just cant do it. Either the 3 does not connect or I only do 32 and it seems I cant just execute the combo and I end up using jumpin12 bb1 etc all the time. Its good but an observant opponent will notice this pretty fast. I dont know how to go about this problem and sometimes I get the impression that my fingers are not aligned to fit this combination. Any solutions?

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Perhaps you are doubling inputs to try to compensate for the lag?? This happens to me a lot because I always think because its laggy I need to mash an input but its just not the case.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I don't label 321 dash NJP as realistic online, it's far too precise with lag. Just do 32 fast forceball 32 slow forceball 321 slide or 321 green hand if they're crouching low. It does piss me off how impossible playing an advanced Reptile is online due to this, though. Hell, even in the lab I can't pull it off consistently, I practice it constantly but I still haven't found that specific 'feel' to get the NJP perfect.

Bunch of BS.

RapZiLLa54

I don't label 321 dash NJP as realistic online, it's far too precise with lag. Just do 32 fast forceball 32 slow forceball 321 slide or 321 green hand if they're crouching low. It does piss me off how impossible playing an advanced Reptile is online due to this, though.

Bunch of BS.

32 fastball isn't a good choice as a combo starter because its not safe on block. Also if you land 32 the opponent can recover to block the forceball and you will be punished.

321 is safe on block and 321-acid hand is safe on block and builds good meter.

GNG Iniquity

32 fastball isn't a good choice as a combo starter because its not safe on block. Also if you land 32 the opponent can recover to block the forceball and you will be punished.

321 is safe on block and 321-acid hand is safe on block and builds good meter.
No, you're right, but occasionally you can get a lucky ball in there...even Wonder_Chef who can do the NJP in his sleep said that he can pull it off maybe 1/5 times online. It's a bummer, but what can you do? 321 slide is a pretty lousy combo but eh.

GNG Iniquity

It's not a big deal if you're playing a character that doesn't require precise execution, but it's crippling to a character like Reptile that does. In my opinion, at least.

GNG Iniquity

So, I noticed something today, and I'm not sure why it took me this long to pick it up but 1,2,2 forceball has a much better success rate. The 2nd 2 is a mid as well and the actual string is much faster than 3,2,1. You can mix up the 1,2,2 with a slide or green hand/EX green hand launch as well.

Doing the 1,2,2 forceball 3,2 forceball slide does 31% damage. Which isn't bad. and I think has a much higher success rate since it's less predictable due to the mid in there and is much faster of a string. Food for thought. I'm gonna try it online and see how well it works against actual players.

edit: also, something I never thought to do is, upon hitting the character with a forceball full screen I just used to send another out for a half-assed juggle. What you should do is send the forceball out, if it hits, elbow dash over there do 3,2 forceball 3,2,1 slide instead. grants 27% damage, which isn't bad. :)

I like finding out new things! Elbow dash is a wonderful mobility tool.

Somberness

Lights
Looks like a problem I was having...If I was doing a combo that involved a different punch/kick to be pressed, I would sometimes unknowingly hold each button down for too long and the game would not read the next input and the character would just pause. I was not holding it down for an eternity or anything, just long enough that it was messing things up. I figured out why basic strings like Liu Kang's b312 was not working every time even though the inputs shown were correct. So, make sure you are releasing each button quickly, hope that helps.

RapZiLLa54

I do find the 122 to be faster myself but the 321 does have better range for punishing specials and all 3 hits hit a crouching opponent. Best 122 combo for me is

Jump in Punch 122 EX fastball NJ (neutral jump punch) 32 sfb - 321-slide. 40% damage 1 bar of meter.

Also note 32 is hit confirm-able which is why the higher skilled players use it so much.

GNG Iniquity

Personally, I find it best to conserve his meter for EX slides since those'll go under projectiles and they're so damn fast and his x-ray off a forceball/to punish projectile spamming. His EX slide only adds like 2-3% damage in a combo, it's not even worth using in a string unfortunately, neither is his x-ray.

Wenis of Lore

Celestial
Jump in Punch 122 EX fastball NJ (neutral jump punch) 32 sfb - 321-slide. 40% damage 1 bar of meter.

actually, you can slim that combo down for 41% damage with a jump-in punch, 2, EX fastball, NJP, 3, 2, slowball, 3, 2, 1, slide...... same use of 1 bar/meter, but less button input and and extra 1% damage(word)! you can make it 43% if you do a 3, 2, EX fastball after the jump-in punch instead of 2, EX fastball.......

Wenis of Lore

Celestial
just remember if you're going for the 43% combo, after the jump-in punch when you do the 3, 2, EX fastball, NJP, etc...... it only connects as a combo if it's an EX forceball. it otherwise would end at 3 hits leaving them with blocking opportunity. :)

just remember if you're going for the 43% combo, after the jump-in punch when you do the 3, 2, EX fastball, NJP, etc...... it only connects as a combo if it's an EX forceball. it otherwise would end at 3 hits leaving them with blocking opportunity. :)
I did not know you could connect an Ex forceball after 3,2...thanks for the information. The only problem I see using this in a match for me is that I usually hit the 3,2 very quick and then hit confirm the 1 into a acid hand or elbow dash into the NJ combo. I don't think I would be quick enough with my hit confirming to throw out the Ex forceball quick enough. Again that is just me though...I have been on a slow learning curve with hit confirming in this game. So the rest of you might not have any problem with hit confirming into the EX forceball...I hope to be able to do that soon as well.

Anyway...I like learning something new with Reptile at any chance I get... and today you just helped me realize I can link the ex fb into the 3,2 string... So again thanks for the info.

Wenis of Lore

Celestial
no problem! glad to help, seeing as this community has helped the crap outta me. you wanna use the EX fastball instead of slow if you're gonna do it(cause it'll register the heavier hit earlier on in the combo and EX fastball is more powerful than EX slowball). and since it's an EX forceball, it makes it easier to follow-up with the NJP then 3, 2, slowball, 3, 2, 1, slide. keep at it! if you can consistantly do the 3, 2, 1, Elbow Dash, NJP like you said you normally do above.... then you should have no problem getting a 3, 2, EX fastball, NJP in there eventually. good luck!

if you can consistantly do the 3, 2, 1, Elbow Dash, NJP like you said you normally do above.... then you should have no problem getting a 3, 2, EX fastball, NJP in there eventually. good luck!
Yea after many many hours of practice i can finally now do the 321 ED Njp combo 100% of the time offline... and actually even a good bit of the time online :)
My problem is I still struggle with hit confirming the string...(or any string for that matter.) I would say 50% of the time I begin the 321 string...I've already made up my mind that I'm ending with acid hand, slide, or elbow dash.. I've really got to get my hit confirming to the next level.

Wenis of Lore

Celestial
Yea after many many hours of practice i can finally now do the 321 ED Njp combo 100% of the time offline... and actually even a good bit of the time online :)
haha no worries mate. you're already levels above me if you can do that 100% of the time..... i've practiced a bunch but it may be the fact i'm using a friggin' d-pad on an xbox controller. who knows? sometimes it's a groove i guess.... i can't wait till there's an in-depth thread on how to pull off the NJP perfectly everytime with frame breakdowns, etc. at least in my fantasy there's one....

haha no worries mate. you're already levels above me if you can do that 100% of the time..... i've practiced a bunch but it may be the fact i'm using a friggin' d-pad on an xbox controller. who knows? sometimes it's a groove i guess.... i can't wait till there's an in-depth thread on how to pull off the NJP perfectly everytime with frame breakdowns, etc. at least in my fantasy there's one....
I understand...I can't do anything with that D-pad... I use the PDP stick...and it is glorious!!