What's new

3 years and I *still* don't know any fighting terms lol

I've been playing this game I think around 3 years and I love it, I seem to win 3 out of 5 matches :)
But I still dont know any terms. No idea what a 50/50 is. Or a wakeup. or a parry. Or a mix-up. Or a neutral jump punch. So clueless on it.

I just know they come at me and I try to hit them before they hit me lol. Is it weird that I don't know any of the terms?

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
The terms should come naturally to you over time. No one just start playing fighting games and understands all of the terms.

If you WOULD like to know any of these definitions, ask! =)

I was watching Pig's stream and he just throws these terms out there like so natural to him and Im like wha? lol

hey off topic, can i change my username here? I hate this name now. I got it when I didnt know anything but im better now

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I've been playing this game I think around 3 years and I love it, I seem to win 3 out of 5 matches :)
But I still dont know any terms. No idea what a 50/50 is. Or a wakeup. or a parry. Or a mix-up. Or a neutral jump punch. So clueless on it.

I just know they come at me and I try to hit them before they hit me lol. Is it weird that I don't know any of the terms?
50/50 - refers to a situation where a player is forced to guess between one option or the other, usually a low attack or an overhead attack, without any reliable cues to warn them of what's coming next.

Wake-Up - refers to when a player performs a special attack when getting up after a knockdown. There are non-offensive ways to regain your footing, but those are generally not referred to as Wake-Ups.

Parry - a counter-styled special attack that punishes an offensive option from the opponent on a pure read. Example: Liu Kang performs a parry and is struck in this pose, causing the attacker to take on damage and get knocked down.

Mix-up - another way of referring to a 50/50.

Neutral jump punch - performing a punch attack while jumping straight up into the air or descending from that jump. If the attack connects, the opponent will bounce up off the ground, allowing you a combo.

Anything else you'd like to know?

EDIT: To change your username, you'll have to buy Premium Supporter status for $10.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
I mean if you're the kinda guy who will watch Pigs stream I assume you watch tournaments as well people like Ultradavid and James Chen explain this stuff at basically every tournament they commentate at.

50/50 - refers to a situation where a player is forced to guess between one option or the other, usually a low attack or an overhead attack, without any reliable cues to warn them of what's coming next.

Wake-Up - refers to when a player performs a special attack when getting up after a knockdown. There are non-offensive ways to regain your footing, but those are generally not referred to as Wake-Ups.

Parry - a counter-styled special attack that punishes an offensive option from the opponent on a pure read. Example: Liu Kang performs a parry and is struck in this pose, causing the attacker to take on damage and get knocked down.

Mix-up - another way of referring to a 50/50.

Neutral jump punch - performing a punch attack while jumping straight up into the air. If the attack connects, the opponent will bounce up off the ground, allowing you a combo.

Anything else you'd like to know?

EDIT: To change your username, you'll have to buy Premium Supporter status for $10.
Thanks that was really nice of you. Im going to try look at this when I watch the stream tonight and see them as they happen.