What's new

3, 3 stuffs all Sonya wake-ups

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I have never seen anyone discuss this strategy with the Sonya match-up, so here it is. The scenario here is to sweep Sonya, then immediately dash in with 3, 3. If she has no meter after Scorpion sweeps her, she MUST respect a 3, 3, 4.

The only exception to this is EX kartwheel, but 3, 3, EX spear/EX takedown will beat that every single time. BUT 3, 3 by itself will beat out every single one of her wake-up attacks every time, including the EX attacks (except EX kartwheel).

Here's the only issue I'm not sure about: if Sonya blocks Scorpion's sweep, he's at -6. Do any Sonya players know if this is punishable with her divekick? My hope is that all of this creates a mix-up game for Scorpion with sweep and F+3 (B+2 if you're feeling lucky).

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Whoa, it's weird getting likes and replies for this 7 months afterwards but thanks for the feedback nonetheless

Damn this is great. Does this with other specific characters? I always land sweeps but never know how to follow up.
I can't remember, IIRC I posted something similar to this working against Cage, no clue about the rest of the cast. However I never really had a chance to find out how viable this is in the first place because I had/have no one to test this with in offline matches.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I just tested this anti-Wake up tech out and it is working GREAT. I think you may have given Scorpion a new edge in this match-up. :)

And no, a blocked sweep cannot be punished by Sonya's divekick, even if it is performed as an instant-air.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I have never seen anyone discuss this strategy with the Sonya match-up, so here it is. The scenario here is to sweep Sonya, then immediately dash in with 3, 3. If she has no meter after Scorpion sweeps her, she MUST respect a 3, 3, 4.

The only exception to this is EX kartwheel, but 3, 3, EX spear/EX takedown will beat that every single time. BUT 3, 3 by itself will beat out every single one of her wake-up attacks every time, including the EX attacks (except EX kartwheel).

Here's the only issue I'm not sure about: if Sonya blocks Scorpion's sweep, he's at -6. Do any Sonya players know if this is punishable with her divekick? My hope is that all of this creates a mix-up game for Scorpion with sweep and F+3 (B+2 if you're feeling lucky).
video?
GamerBlake90