What's new

Strategy 231 String - Underrated?

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
I think this string needs to be looked into a little more, I think it's fairly underrated.

What makes this string so good? Well first of all, it's pretty fast. With an 11 frame startup on 2, it's DS's third fastest ground move. The range is pretty nice too. It's not as long as 3, but it certainly is faster. It IS longer than 1 and F2 which are quicker but somewhat short ranged punches. It hits mid and is -2 on block too, making it safe.

But is that it really? No, that's not what I find so good about it. If you hit someone with this string, it puts them FULL screen from you (or just about, it's exactly 1 backdash away from full). No other string or special DS has possesses this kind of crazy knockback.

And with the opponent full screen, we can do what DS is known for: zone. This string can easily frustrate rushdown heavy opponents who work all their way up to DS, only to put shot back to the other side in an instant. They'll have to deal with all the dodging, the chip, and the reading again to return to melee range.

Now I know what you're thinking. Why do 231 when I can get a stronger combo done? Well a few reasons. One is speed. DS has a few main ground combo starters for good damage. They are:
B1U2 (15 frames)
F3 (26 frames)
B3 (31 frames)
323 (14 frames)
132 (8 frames)

231 has an 11 frame startup, so it's faster than all of those but 132. You can sometimes get 132, Ji2, 323, Sword Flip to land for 33%. However, this combo is a somewhat unreliable since it's stance specific (DS's chest must face TOWARDS the screen), character specific (doesnt work on small characters), kinda hard to do, and picky with its range (must be VERY close).
Instead of Ji2 after 132, you can dash in and do F23, Sword Flip for 22% that works on anyone. Oooorrrrrrr you could sacrifice 2% for a full screen knockback and put your opponent back in bullet hell.

So a practical combo for use here would be:
132, dash 231 for 20%

I feel that this string should be used for characters that we REALLY want to keep out as Slade. Thoughts?

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Correction: 132 has WAAAY better damage than that. This is a combo I use. And it is consistent. 132 , dash , 1 , 323 , F23 x Sword Flip. This does 30%

I see your point. However, you did not mention that 2's reach is GUARBAGE. St3 , B1 and St1 are far better options. Also, even though the GS puts your opponent full screen, the advantage you gain from Sword Flip is enough to do a dash back or walk back and then get the guaranteed 2% chip from LowGS. I just think it's a MUCH better option.

Nice write-up though.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Interesting combo. That should go in the combo thread, I wasn't aware of 1, 323 as a follow up to the 132 string. Thanks for that though, I'll be working on using that combo more than the less reliable Ji2 combo.

Breaker

~AKUMA~
@Mikeman360 this string is pretty good to push the opponent to full screen for zoning pressure, and it is pretty good to use once in a while. As for it being faster than B1U2 that is not the case. If you notice B1 alone has 8 frames or 7 frames of start up I cant remember right now but you see that B1U2 has 15, well the game is telling the start up frame for U2 is at the 15th frame but the B1 itself is a 8 or 7 frame move.
So in conclusion B1U2 is a very ambiguous and fast combo starter that high-level players MUST respect it and expect you to mix it with overheads.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
@Mikeman360 this string is pretty good to push the opponent to full screen for zoning pressure, and it is pretty good to use once in a while. As for it being faster than B1U2 that is not the case. If you notice B1 alone has 8 frames or 7 frames of start up I cant remember right now but you see that B1U2 has 15, well the game is telling the start up frame for U2 is at the 15th frame but the B1 itself is a 8 or 7 frame move.
So in conclusion B1U2 is a very ambiguous and fast combo starter that high-level players MUST respect it and expect you to mix it with overheads.
You sure about that? The B1 alone in the singles moves list shows 15 frames. It certainly doesnt feel like it's as fast as 1 or F2. The game lists the B1U2 combo as 20 frames.

Breaker

~AKUMA~
You sure about that? The B1 alone in the singles moves list shows 15 frames. It certainly doesnt feel like it's as fast as 1 or F2. The game lists the B1U2 combo as 20 frames.
Rreally?? damn I was actually so certain of that.....fuck I went senile there for a sec.

Crathen

Death is my business
(23)1 is high , only someone that doesn't always crouchblock will not punish it , 23 itself isn't that bad but really lacks range , i seldomly use it after d1 hits ( even then i'd rather do d1xxSwordSpin ) just to keep the opponent in check from mashing d1s / jump / f3 or b3 MB , but because of the bad range ( and recovery ) they can backdash it and punish you with a starter.

TLDR Don't use 231 against a good player , just do 23 and be carefull of backdash