What's new

Strategy 224 Vs. 214

Southee

Noob
I was just wondering why 224 is more popular than 214. 214 does more damage and pushes the opponent further away. It seems to be safe on block but I haven't played him against anyone yet. Could someone please bring me up to date. PS anyone going to the Red Fight District in the Netherlands in October?

It's not safe on block. 21 is, 214 is not. Obviously you can cancel into clone to make it safe.

If you do 214 all you can do is cancel into slide or xray. If you do 22 you can cancel into freeze and land a juggle or jps 214 slide. 22 hits people trying to jump over it and you can land a juggle if you freeze off it.

Whenever you see people do 224 as a blockstring it's to prevent the opponent from hitting buttons after a blocked 22 or so they can blockstring into a clone. Or they are doing his corner combo.

So reasons people favor 22 over 21: More damage on hit, can't be jumped, longer range, 222 is an overhead, second hit comes out faster, combos from longer range

Just to add when you use 214, the 1 freezes and lifts your opponent off the gorund limiting your combo options. It is the best option to combo a frozen grounded opponent though.

kisan

Noob
No it's not, njp 1 b12 212 slide does 2% more damage than jps 214 slide.
just because it does slightly more damage doesn't make it superior. jps,214~slide gives you more frame advantage compared to that combo which gives you better pressure options afterwards to stay on your opponent. You can also use jps,b121 which will prevent them from doing a wakeup attack and force them to block whatever you throw out next or they will get hit.

You can do 2,1, and then HC into 2 xx Freeze if the opp was hit, which gives a 29% combo. If they block, you can either finish with 2 xx Ice Clone, or continue pressure/mixups, as you're (apparently) at neutral frames. 2,2 is generally better than 2,1 for the reasons already stated, but I like 2,1 and its enders for pressure (especially in the corner).

Dark_Rob

Noob
2,2,4 is universally better. First off 2,1,4 can be interrupted(offline anyway, good luck doing that shit online lol) 2,2 in general gives you so many options. For one you can hit confirm 2,2 and if it hits link in a freeze which sets up your BnB. If its blocked you can finish with 4,clone which throws up the clone as a shield. Once people are always expecting the 4 after 2,2 you can start doing things like 2,2 pause, 2,2,freeze. Or if they try to get off first after 2,2 pause you can finsh with 4,slide. If they block just make it 4,clone. Sometimes you can do 2,2, slight pause, ice clone and they will run right into it trying to punish you for 2,2 pause. Sometimes I do 2,2,slide because they usually wont fuzzy block until after the 4 so you can sneak it in there. Dont abuse it though. And they have to high block 2,2 because if you do 2,2,2 the last 2 hits overhead. But still if they guess right your a dead man which is why I say dont abuse it.Theres always good old trusty 2,2 and then throw when youve got them confused. After a knockdown if they try to jump 2,2 will take them out of the air plus you can link in a freeze and get B+1(whiff)2,2,1,2,slide.
Theres so much icy goodness with 2,2 lol

Only thing I've been able to interrupt 2,1,2 with is Kung's Spin. You can get out of it with Raiden's teleport, and obviously parries/reversals, but I haven't found anything generic to get out of it with. Can't interrupt 2,1,4 at all, as far as I can tell.

Obviously other characters can armour through it, but unless they have an armour'd launcher, or it's gonna give them a round or something, I don't see why someone would use meter just to get out of 2% chip + an Ice Clone. Seems like a match-up thing to me, and then somewhat of a mixup on top of that. I still think 2,1,2 and 2,1,4 are viable outside of combos.