What's new

Strategy 113~Red Dash

*ignore title, its 114*
Seems to be a legit way to pressure with a really short opening, which everyone complains about her not having. It looks like if 114 hits, it staggers giving a free Red Dash.

If anyone can help experiment with this, that'd be great.

Somberness

Lights
It's 112 or 114, 113 is nothing. But yeah, it's great for dealing and relieving pressure as 1 is her fastest combo starter. It's best as a combo ender to leave them standing and you in their face. 114 does not work in the air though so only 112~red dash applies for that. It doesn't seem to give any advantage unless you go for a slide or slash off the dash. That's for the best as it would be pretty annoying to escape. I wonder if 112~krimson dash allows for a follow up... probably not.

oh yea my bad I meant 114.

and I know about the reset 112. 112 doesn't stagger, 114 seems to. This situation would not be in a combo, it would be on the ground interrupting a longer normal. Since 11 is too fast to hit confirm, and f31 is too slow to throw out without a guarantee, the 114 stagger leading to a mixup seems ideal.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
It's 112 or 114, 113 is nothing. But yeah, it's great for dealing and relieving pressure as 1 is her fastest combo starter. It's best as a combo ender to leave them standing and you in their face. 114 does not work in the air though so only 112~red dash applies for that. It doesn't seem to give any advantage unless you go for a slide or slash off the dash. That's for the best as it would be pretty annoying to escape. I wonder if 112~krimson dash allows for a follow up... probably not.
Lmao at ur sig.

In regards to 114: does it lead to a safe jump as well? Also 114 might be a safe "hit confirm" of sorts for the stagger but isnt f2 a faster combo starter anyway, that can start a safe on block string with much more dmg potential? Once she juggles 112 will give her a reset all the time, so if she can kombo just as fast as 1 wqith the f2 starter Id just say stick to that.

Plus 114 seems like it might be negative on block. Personally I try to react when an opp is blocking aand have her convert her f3,1~downslash into f31~red slide (df 3,4) for safety, tho that also leaves a negative. Would really wonder what strings/moves if any giver her advantage on block.

Somberness

Lights
Oh, on HIT, not block... yeah, both give some advantage but I actually think 112 gives a tiny bit more. 114 on hit looks like your opponent could be at a larger disadvantage and I thought so as well, but I didn't find it as such. You can cut the animation short at the end.

Thanks Ernov, I HAVE A DREAM. But 1 is faster than f2, just doesn't lead to any long combos.

f2 is way too slow.

You can cut it short, but you can cut most the staggers short at the end. It doesn't seem to give a safe jump because it knocks them too far back, but it knocks them the perfect distance for a slide.

Skarlet really doesn't have many chances to start with her bnb unless theres a jump in punch or blocked teleport, so don't write this off just because its not a big damage combo.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Guys, stick to 2,1,2. I use it to punish special moves like Reptile's elbow dash and after jumping punches. I think 2 has an 11-12 frame start, so after jumping punches it cannot be crouched.

2,1,2 can also be hit confirmed. 2,1,2~d,f+3,4 is not interruptable. 7% of chip damage. 2,1,2~d,f+1*, 2,3~b+2, 2,3~d,f+3,4 (or f+4,3) is the combo I use. 39% (37%).

Obviously, everybody already knows about f+4,3 which is one of Skarlet's main strings. I am still messing around with f+3. f+2 is slow but still has some uses.

She is an interesting character. I hope NRS does not go overboard by toning her down too much.

212 is still slower and not that reliable unless its set up in a combo or jump in punch but thats not what I'm talking about. 1 feels like 7-9 frames (Hey...Dr Dog...whats up?), lots of the cast don't have strings that quick

Everybody loves doing 112 into reset, yea? Well this is potentially a way to apply that same pressure without waiting for a "perfect opening" which can then be lead back into a 112. Its not all about big combos. You can't get big combos if they don't make mistakes, for them to make mistakes you need pressure, and if you can't do it with dagger cancels during something like a liu kang string advancing,114 will be fast enough to cut through and get them off you without gambling with a EN slide wasting meter.
I won't be able to really test this in depth for a couple of days though.

Oh I read somewhere that it was her fastest starter somewhere. I was weary of it but still thought it mite fast enough. My bad.
well we don't have frame data so who knows :/ ....but she does a spin before she hits with it. 112 and 114 aren't actually launchers anyway

M2Dave

Zoning Master
HurlingDervish said:
212 is still slower and not that reliable unless its set up in a combo or jump in punch but thats not what I'm talking about. 1 feels like 7-9 frames (Hey...Dr Dog...whats up?), lots of the cast don't have strings that quick

Everybody loves doing 112 into reset, yea? Well this is potentially a way to apply that same pressure without waiting for a "perfect opening" which can then be lead back into a 112. Its not all about big combos. You can't get big combos if they don't make mistakes, for them to make mistakes you need pressure, and if you can't do it with dagger cancels during something like a liu kang string advancing,114 will be fast enough to cut through and get them off you without gambling with a EN slide wasting meter.
I won't be able to really test this in depth for a couple of days though.
I am unsure what you are looking for. Skarlet does not have good up close pressure. If she did, she would be better than Kung Lao. She is all about bait using the dagger cancels. That is why she struggles in match ups where dagger cancels are not an option. And that is why she will end up being terrible if NRS tones her down blindly with no compensation.

1 may be 7 frames, but it hits high, has a poor range, and does not lead to anything. The only reason Kung Lao's jab strings are excellent is because he can hit confirm his 1 into combos. Should you try to interrupt, low hat is +10 on hit and resets all mix ups. Skarlet has nothing of that nature. Neither will she ever have it.

Abusing 1,1,4 abusing against Liu Kang will get you killed. If you want to get away, use d+1 and d+3 which are 7 frames and 6 frames in start up respectively, I believe. Using ex red dash to blow through your opponent's offense is a smart choice. Skarlet should have super meter in most situations because of, again, dagger cancels.

Look I know how great the daggers are, they are still the center of my strategy, all I'm trying to bring up is that people have abandoned the possibility of her rushdown before the second week of her release. We can't possibly know everything about her yet, the more obvious approach is YES dagger cancels are fucking awesome, but I have faith they didn't give her dozens of strings (which are very similar to other characters like sonya who also has trouble hitting low but still manages to pressure with those strings) just to end up a gimmick character with a couple of borderline broken mechanics.

How many people have really even TRIED to get good with rushdown after they discovered dagger cancels and started practicing them for hours? I'm convinced if people took the time they've spent on daggers to really dig in elsewhere, we'd have better technology around.

Somberness

Lights
Why not use forward 3,1 off a jump in punch instead of 212? I know a 41% (or about that) combo off that and if I can do it, it must be pretty easy. I think Skarlet is pretty decent up close... a lot of it is because of the dash though. Even if there is a window to down poke out of dash-slides, 8% vs. 2% is not worth it, unless you are KL. Forward 4,3 is really good even if you whiff. She also has a fast uppercut with a great horizontal hitbox. The only other character I know well is Mileena and she destroys her in almost every department yet some people regard her as top tier while saying Skarlet would struggle without kunais. I really don't understand these two characters and why people think what they do.

f31 is also less likely come out as a single f3 like 212 can come out as a single 2 because it seems to require a faster buffer, something that can be counter-intuitive for me on a jump in punch, but this thread wasn't supposed to be about combos, theres already discussions of those :D
The only other character I know well is Mileena and she destroys her in almost every department yet some people regard her as top tier while saying Skarlet would struggle without kunais. I really don't understand these two characters and why people think what they do.
Thats interesting you think that about her and Mileena, like I think I mentioned, I kind of feel the same way about her and Sonya. However with Mileena she has a much more clear cut move set that lets people see the rock/paper/scissors plain as day. How have you been fighting against Mileena as skarlet?

back to 114

it seems that it pushes back the opponent on block, perhaps enough to be safe-ish, if not completely safe. It definitely seems to stagger, but like I mentioned it pushes them back SO far that a safe jump is out of the question....but they are really at the perfect distance to red dash/slide/up/down/empty w/e. A single 4 seems to do something similar but doesn't push back on block, nor as far on hit, I don't think.

Somberness

Lights
I haven't used Skarlet much but I can say Mileena probably has the best options to counter her zoning. But Mileena will have a hard time upclose, punishing her teleport and starting combos that aren't off rolls or maybe her b3.

Both 112 and 114 are safe.
112 HIT LEVEL:H+,H,M DAMAGE:3,2,5(9%)
114 HIT LEVEL:H+,H,H DAMAGE:3,2,6(11%)

Both do not create a safe jump, you have to red dash to even get a slight advantage.