What's new

11 Changes/Modifications I'd like to see

OK, first off, this is gonna be a LONG post, so I'm sure some will just TL/DR it and that's fine. But, I figured with the game almost being out for a year and many of us essentially stuck in our own homes, there's no better time to share this list of gripes/complaints that I have been working on for a while.

Just a heads up, there won't be any complaining about frame rate, this kharacter or that, a lot of the usual. Most of this stuff is regarding the Krypt and TOT, so if you were worried about reading yet another post bitching endlessly about Kombat League, no need to worry.

That being said, let's start with Kombat League (See what I did there? This is the only one, though, promise) Specifically, the scoring:

I’ll be the first to admit, I’m not the greatest MK player on earth. During Kombat League season, I play my 5 matches, take my 50 Time Krystals and am done for the day. Most seasons (except for the ones where I said “screw it” and just stopped playing KL) I get to Grand Master Rank and that’s perfectly fine. While I’m not much of a H2H gamer anyway, adjusting the point system a bit would probably encourage me to play more than I do. Allow me to explain my issues:

If a player has a 65% chance of beating me, with me only having a 35% chance of winning, why should I lose MORE points than he would if I end up winning? I don’t understand why, if I’m favored to lose and I do, why I should be punished for that. The scoring also relies too much, IMO, on where the players are at currently. If I’m at say, Champion level and my opponent is only at Warrior (because he hasn’t played as much, started later than me, etc) but is clearly better than me (as evidenced by the game determining that he has an 83% chance of winning) why should I take a massive hit in points for getting clobbered by a guy the game said probably would clobber me? Personally, my solution would be fairly simple: If you’re favored to lose, you shouldn’t lose any points if you do. Not saying you should gain any points, but losing points just seems a bit unfair, given the fact that you were favored to lose in the first place. The possibility (and in my case, probability) of losing points in this way is a good part of the reason I play my 5 games a day and call it quits afterward. If I knew getting crushed by someone better than me wouldn’t result in me also being punished by losing points, I’d probably play a few more games a day.

Time Krystals Store

If you remember the store when the game was first released, you probably also remember that it sucked. It’s been improved a bit, but personally, I still sign in pretty much every day, only to find that I already have every single item available in the store, which makes the 15,000+ Time Krystals that I have pretty much worthless currently. I’m sure I’m not the only one with this issue. So, why not improve the store a bit more and just let us buy the things we don’t already have? If an item is on sale in the shop, you can buy it from the individual kharacter customization screens, so why not let us buy everything that way? Why not let us buy the Looping Hourglass Tower Key, or the other Tower Key that’s NEVER been made available in ANY way? More options, I’m betting, will lead to more people spending.

KRYPT - A way to tell me about unopened chests

So, I’ve gone through the Krypt a few times and have a map where all of the chests are located, but I’m also human, so I may miss an invisible one, or just overshoot one in plain sight from time to time. I’d like a surefire way to know that I indeed did get every chest (so I can refill the krypt completely, lol). A counter of some sort would be ideal, but if you wanna keep some mystery to it, how about an item (like the coin to summon Kollector) that I can use that’ll show me unopened chests on the map?

KRYPT - Other ways to get skeleton keys

So, you can buy summonable tower keys for 200 (TWO HUNDRED) skeleton keys. Now, I go through the krypt at least once a day and I get one, MAYBE two skeleton keys in a given day if I’m lucky. If you’re gonna charge us 200 skeleton keys, at least make them a bit more accessible. The ability to forge them would help at least a bit. Sticking them in towers as rewards would help, too. I don’t mind grinding, but the grind seems a little steep here for a tower key that’s gonna give me a single Jacqui Briggs skin (Note: The only key available that I’ve never gotten is the Looping Hourglass Key and it’s only been available through Kollector trade).

KRYPT - Tower key to summon ANY tower?

I’m pretty sure I’ve played every tower available in the game at some point. Many of them, I’ve played many times. But, there are some newer (or less obsessed) players that likely miss the time a certain tower is up. Why not have a way to get a Tower Key that lets you summon ANY tower onto your summonable towers platform? If one key for every tower is too much, why not a tower key for each kharacter? So, if you get the Skarlet tower key, you can summon any tower that has Skarlet gear and/or skins in it. Maybe you get the first key from completing that kharacter’s kharacter towers?

KRYPT - 2 KL Gear in every Gold Vault

I like the krypt events. The only issue I have is, if I already have the gear pieces in them, I kinda get “punished" by only getting 100k coins. If you're like me, the coin counter has been maxed out at 9,999,999 for some time now, so I’m not really needing 100k more. Ideally, I’d like to be guaranteed that I get a couple of gear pieces that I didn’t get during Kombat League, even if it’s random as to which ones I get. Even getting one gear piece that I don’t have at this point is more valuable to me than the coins.

TOT - Top 5% Reward skin even if already own current week

I play TOT religiously. It’s probably my favorite part of the game (I know, I’m probably in the minority there). As a result, I have gotten every top 5% skin offered since a few weeks after the game was released (I missed a couple in the very beginning, as I played story mode and the gauntlet first). Most weeks, a new, never before released skin is available as a reward. However, there have been a few times where, somehow, I got the skin before it was offered as the weekly reward in RAT (Jade's Kyanite comes to mind, as I believe it was in the store before it was available as a RAT skin). In these situations where a player already has the skin, why not give them another random “Top 5%" skin that they DON'T currently have? At some point, all of the Top 5% skins will have been made available. After that, what’s the incentive going to be to finish in the top 5% in RAT?

TOT - Premier Towers - Let me pick my loadout

Like I said, I play a lot of TOT. I don’t understand why, on some of the Premier Towers, the kharacter loadout is locked to a specific setting. I personally have KL loadouts available for every kharacter, so why can’t I use MY loadout, the one I’m USED to playing with, in these towers? Why limit us to one concrete loadout?

Surefire way to get variation icons

Each Kharacter has 90 variation icons in the game that can be obtained. Currently, there are 31 kharacters in the game. For you math wizards out there, that’s 2790 variation icons, many of which just kind of pop up in towers, with no real rhyme or reason. That’s fine, but can we get a little more concrete way of acquiring these icons? Maybe put them in krypt chests (instead of getting my 438th Kytinn Spittle) , trade hearts with Kollector (so hearts have at least some use in the game), or make them concrete rewards in towers, like skins and gear for the kharacter you complete the tower with are.

Name Change Notification

Did you know that Kabal’s Season 1 Kombat League Hook Swords were originally named “Albuterol” and changed to “Blazing Fury” later? Did you know Erron Black's S1 Kombat League skin now named "Rio Colorado" was originally named “Red River” (The same name as one of his other skins)? I did, but that's because I have been documenting the gears and skins available for most of the time that the game has been released (Cheap plug, the spreadsheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16sMPddLy3bQOq0py6hkQ66mw-kdIl1V283jf1BYNDkA/edit#gid=0). Now, I’m sure that there have been some that I have missed and I have no issue with NetherRealm changing the names, but why not include those changes in the patch notes, so that those of us that meticulously notate where every single skin and gear piece can be located are able to update their information accordingly? I’m sure NetherRealm knows that there are nuts like me out there that do these things. Help us out a little bit.

So, that's it. Any constructive criticism is welcomed, along with any additional minor gripes like these.

EDIT: Make it 10. Just found out you can use the same kharacter twice in the tag tower. I swear I've tried to before and it didn't work, though.

Last edited: