What's new

Question 1 vs. Throw

ryublaze

Noob
What are your opinions on using 1 or throw? Both are 10 frames, but each has their own pros and cons. Also do you think it would be better to just use 1, 1, 4 instead of throw after a standing reset because it doesn't whiff on crouch?

1:

Pros:
- 6% chip (1, 1, 2/4, Red Dash, Red Slide)
- Can "block confirm" 1, 1, 4 into EX Dagger or Red Dash, Red Slide
- Mix-ups on hit or block

Cons:
- Whiffs against some characters on crouch block
- Less damage than throw
- Can be breakered if the opponent doesn't block

Throw:

Pros:
- 11% damage
- Unbreakable damage
- Doesn't whiff on crouch block

Cons:
- No chip damage
- No mix-ups
- Techable

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
It depends of the situation itself. Every player always expects Skarlet to chip in almost any situation.
Because of this matter they hardly tech a throw, also because they think is inrelevant.
there is sometimes they're so focused fuzzy guarding that throw up some throws after blanks or 114 dagger jail into block will work very well

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
yall already might know this but i do 112 ex dagger all the time now cause the first dagger hits every crouch block character even the low hit box ones and 114 ex dagger always whiffs on everyone. people have been low blocking alot when they see the 1 string so 112 ex dagger hits them giving me guaranteed +21 on block right into b11f4 which usually hits since they tried to poke the ex dagger. If they dont poke after the ex dagger b11f4 to ex dagger also hits every crouched character allowing for another b11f4 to get more pressure. Try it out to see if im wrong. Worked when i used it.

p.s. if they neutral crouch the ex dagger which i have seen too will give them the time they need to poke anything. I just start doing 112 ex red dash to down slash which blows them up. just gives them more things to worry about.

ryublaze

Noob
yall already might know this but i do 112 ex dagger all the time now cause the first dagger his every crouch block character even the low hit box ones and 114 ex dagger always whiffs on everyone. people have been low blocking alot when they see the 1 string so 112 ex dagger hits them giving me guaranteed +21 on block right into b11f4 which usually hits since they tried to poke the ex dagger. If they dont poke after the ex dagger b11f4 to ex dagger also hits every crouched character allowing for another b11f4 to get more pressure. Try it out to see if im wrong. Worked when i used it.
1, 1, 2, EX Dagger is a different setup which can be used if you need the guaranteed blockstring.

1, 1, 2, Red Dash, 1, 1, 4 is a superior setup in my opinion. If timed right, it is also a guaranteed blockstring and adds a whole 'nother mix-up to Skarlet's game. If your opponent blocks low, it will still connect and you can confirm it into Red Dash, Red Slide. What this does is it opens your opponent up to being hit by an EX Down Slash. Once they know that, they'll start blocking high so you can confirm 1, 1, 4 into EX Dagger. Basically, this puts your opponent into 2 guessing situations. I've talked about this before in this topic:
http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/why-you-shouldnt-block-high-against-skarlet.14967/
I'll try to make another video explaining it later.

The dagger in B1, 1, F4, EX Dagger does hit on a crouch blocking opponent, but the opponent can just let go of block and the dagger will whiff. You'll end up wasting a bar of meter and being poked. It can still work if your opponent isn't expecting it though.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
1, 1, 2, EX Dagger is a different setup which can be used if you need the guaranteed blockstring.

1, 1, 2, Red Dash, 1, 1, 4 is a superior setup in my opinion. If timed right, it is also a guaranteed blockstring and adds a whole 'nother mix-up to Skarlet's game. If your opponent blocks low, it will still connect and you can confirm it into Red Dash, Red Slide. What this does is it opens your opponent up to being hit by an EX Down Slash. Once they know that, they'll start blocking high so you can confirm 1, 1, 4 into EX Dagger. Basically, this puts your opponent into 2 guessing situations. I've talked about this before in this topic:
http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/why-you-shouldnt-block-high-against-skarlet.14967/
I'll try to make another video explaining it later.

The dagger in B1, 1, F4, EX Dagger does hit on a crouch blocking opponent, but the opponent can just let go of block and the dagger will whiff. You'll end up wasting a bar of meter and being poked. It can still work if your opponent isn't expecting it though.
I get what u are saying with the 112 red dash to 114 but alot of people now are poking as soon as they see 112 or 114. I guess they think every skarlet hasnt adjusted to that or something. I also wrote a p.s. in my statement before saying neutral crouch on ex daggers that it gives them the time they need to poke out of what you do next. So mostly i do 112 red dash up or down slash or do my 112 ex dagger toss cause they either try to jump out or poke out. After you catch them once they begin to respect everything you do after that.

ryublaze

Noob
I get what u are saying with the 112 red dash to 114 but alot of people now are poking as soon as they see 112 or 114. I guess they think every skarlet hasnt adjusted to that or something. I also wrote a p.s. in my statement before saying neutral crouch on ex daggers that it gives them the time they need to poke out of what you do next. So mostly i do 112 red dash up or down slash or do my 112 ex dagger toss cause they either try to jump out or poke out. After you catch them once they begin to respect everything you do after that.
If timed right, the opponent shouldn't be able to poke out. I haven't tested yet if it can be armored out of. What you can do to help time the 1, 1, 4 right is to look at the blood Skarlet makes during her Red Dash. Once you see it stop just input 1, 1, 4. Tbh, I don't do this myself but the timing should be easy to get with enough practice in Training Mode (set Mileena to Auto block crouch).

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
If you're fast enought 114 red dash to slide can't be poked. Skarlet players can take Slide all Day, they're not punishable on block and if he pokes, you will win the poke war by simply poking back to another red slide.

If you mind training him into this for a while you can go for a Ex Down Slash, and go for a big reward, Smith have tried a lot of times poking on my slides after that jail, its impossible because i hardly delay it, and this mind fucks him to down slashes