What's new

Strategy What it takes to win the mind game

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
This can be applied to all fighting games, not just MK. It's one thing to know all the moves or be able to pull off some fast combos, but how do you get your opponent into a situation that will allow you to utilize those techniques? Do you launch an all-out offensive assault, fake attacks to get the opponent to jump, or just turtle and wait for the opponent to get bored and charge at you? Which strats work best for you?

This is my first real thread in over 2 years. Feels good to be back!

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I like to play safe and stay in my character's ideal ranges, and away from the opponents. I often play characters with good full screen presence and try to pressure the opponent by spamming projectiles. If I've established zoning dominance, I more often can force those ranges. Up close, I'll oscillate between playing safe and cautious and going super ham. I want to have good honest fundamentals but also play like a scumbag.

If I can't win at range, I'll do the slow approach and lean more into going ham but I'll still lame out if I have the life lead I need

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
If I'm neutral or +, I'm going to try throw/strike or 50/50 mixes. If I'm -, I'm going to try and back dash and whiff punish.

Throws are more valuable in MK1 than I can ever remember them being so a lot of the cast can build a gameplan around them.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
There is no set formula. You will win if you recognize what kind of player your are up against and adapt quickly against them. Always blocks low? Mix some overheads. Has good low-overhead blocks? Throw. Likes to play patient and wait for your mistakes? Play safe. Jumps a lot? Anti-air. Of course, even if you are a better player, there are things like input errors, bugs, and characters that carry other players.