What's new

The Future of Mortal Kombat (Post MK12)

mrapchem

Noob
As we eagerly await a mere inkling of news surrounding MK12, I wanted to record and share my thoughts on what happens with the Mortal Kombat franchise from a competitive standpoint after we learn what kind meta MK12 will have. Considering the NRS pattern of revamping the entire gameplay and meta of consecutive titles, I made this video in which I attempt to thread all the styles of current MK titles together to turn Mortal Kombat into a competitive fighter with the beginnings of a well-refined and consistent meta that the vast majority of the community can enjoy, no matter whether a person preferred the meta of MK9, MKX, MK11 or even another past title.

For those who'd rather not watch a 40-minute long video, let me share the cliff notes:

My hope is that future titles have the following:

• A two-stance system (per character) like the 3D-era MK games
    • Each stance has its own normals, strings and special moves
    • Characters can switch between the stances at will
    • Each stance is differentiated by things such as range, safety of normals, weapon usage, alternate character forms, etc
    • Each stance has a well-defined archetype that excels in one area and suffers in others (definite strengths and weaknesses)
  • A new meter system that combines the best elements of MK9/MKX and MK11
    • 1 bar offense and 1 bar defense
    • Regenerates on its own, but very slowly (50% slower than MK11 Breakaway meter gain)
    • Player actions also build bar again like in MK9/MKX: special moves, blocked normals/special build offense bar, while ducking grabs/normals, flawless blocking, AA build defense bar
    • 1st hit bonus returns
    • Wakeup system depletes defense bar completely, while meter-burn/EX-moves deplete offense bar
    • No wakeup roll forward/backward, only U2/U3 and delayed wake up
    • Fatal Blow still tied to character health, but triggers at 5% health, rather than 30% and does not recharge on block/whiff
    • Obviously MK9/MKX Breakers return, but deplete both bars
    • Run button returns, but drains defense bar like stamina

Please discuss! Thanks!!

Last edited:
Each stance has its own normals, strings and special moves
Not sure having 2 characters in one is the best idea, although i like the idea of going back to the stance style of the 3D games - mixes the old stances with the new variations of the recent games.

I think there should be some commonality between both stances. You mentioned different air attacks, while i'd say keep them the same to make AA's easier, and in the case of characters like Kitana, she uses her fan in her jump punch, no need to take that away in her non-fan stance.

Some people have mentioned that weapons were forced on some characters?? Trying to figure out who? I think with this you'll have an issue where a stance could be forced to some degree.

Some characters are easier to define, eg. Kitana - fan/hand to hand, But i'm thinking you're idea isn't as hardline as that, so she would still have her fans as projectiles/specials, but her normals will be slightly different, and have a different set of specials. So don't take away a defining trait just to enforce a different stance/style.

mrapchem

Noob
Not sure having 2 characters in one is the best idea, although i like the idea of going back to the stance style of the 3D games - mixes the old stances with the new variations of the recent games.

I think there should be some commonality between both stances. You mentioned different air attacks, while i'd say keep them the same to make AA's easier, and in the case of characters like Kitana, she uses her fan in her jump punch, no need to take that away in her non-fan stance.

Some people have mentioned that weapons were forced on some characters?? Trying to figure out who? I think with this you'll have an issue where a stance could be forced to some degree.

Some characters are easier to define, eg. Kitana - fan/hand to hand, But i'm thinking you're idea isn't as hardline as that, so she would still have her fans as projectiles/specials, but her normals will be slightly different, and have a different set of specials. So don't take away a defining trait just to enforce a different stance/style.
Yes, your idea of mixing variations with 3D-era stances is what I had in mind.

Some of the stances for certain characters would have some common moves/strings/normals, but depending on the character, perhaps they could have different properties. Like for instance, Johnny Cage; instead of having Nut Punch in one stance and Camera in the other, perhaps he could have Nut Punch in both stances, but in one of them, it would launch when meter-burned and then in the other, it would have much higher plus fames on hit. There's so many other potential examples that could work like that.

But yes, for a character like Kitana, perhaps she shouldn't have 4 jump-ins, but another character like Baraka could, like how he had in MK11.

As for your comment on weapons, I would likely limit it to be only for the characters that already had them, like Raiden, Kabal, Jade, etc...Many of the other characters would have two hand-to-hand styles that are used for different situations, like close/far range, 50/50s or safety.

But yeah, you're right about my idea not being rigid in that every character has the same thing - the two stances would stem from the multiple iterations of the characters that we have seen in past MK games, namely the variations from MKX/MK11.