What's new

Should Cole Young Die in the Next Mortal Kombat Movie

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
This isn't a thread about how bad Cole Young is as an MK character, but more so could he be the story motivation for Scorpion's return?

Similar to the normal MK story, Kuai Liang could come back to get revenge on Cole (Scorpion's clan) and Kuai could be the killer of Cole, or may he just seriously wounds him. Hanzo would then use he need for vengeance to return.

There could be MANY reason for why/how Scorpion could return, but would you want to see his return at the expense (death or just sidelining) of Cole?

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I honestly don't think it really matters. A good writer could easily transform Cole into an interesting character in the story, bhe problem is the writers aren't good. In fact, they're really, REALLY bad, and as a result, even the good characters get dragged down.

Unless some drastic changes are made to the writing staff, Cole's presence won't affect the overall quality.

Spoobs

Noob
My problem with him besides the boring and bland comments people have already pointed out is I just think it's a really dumb and strange decision to bring an original character into a fighter game movie. Especially any of the classics like MK, SF, or Tekken that have so many classic character or even barely used ones that could be retooled. I'm definitely in the camp of people who only liked the Scorpion and Sub stuff and Kano. Not even a Nitara fan but that was messed up.

He's really not supposed to be a great character. He's the "Everyman". MK isn't some passion project like Blade Runner that gets to focus on it's artistic merits. The literal pitch to the money people was probably something along the lines of "we slap the logo on it and they'll watch ANYTHING" followed by the few people who are actually passionate fighting tooth and nail to make things as decent as they were.

Cole is the producer compromise who's CERTAIN this movie won't sell without an every man protagonist because some marketing team did focus group studies on things people watched in the 00s and they liked relatable protagonists. Oh also now we have a hot new character to introduce for marketing tie ins (even though that was likely never going to happen).

So in short, meh? You could get better writers and he'd be fine, or more likely, you could stop interfering with the writers who are already trying (the movie is quite decent compared to a LOT of the phone in's we get with branded adaptations). We'll be lucky if they manage to keep from meddling with things enough to get a decently coherent second movie.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
The actor seems pretty enthusiastic about the sequel, so I don't think he's hyping up his own character's death

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
He's really not supposed to be a great character. He's the "Everyman". MK isn't some passion project like Blade Runner that gets to focus on it's artistic merits. The literal pitch to the money people was probably something along the lines of "we slap the logo on it and they'll watch ANYTHING" followed by the few people who are actually passionate fighting tooth and nail to make things as decent as they were.

Cole is the producer compromise who's CERTAIN this movie won't sell without an every man protagonist because some marketing team did focus group studies on things people watched in the 00s and they liked relatable protagonists. Oh also now we have a hot new character to introduce for marketing tie ins (even though that was likely never going to happen).

So in short, meh? You could get better writers and he'd be fine, or more likely, you could stop interfering with the writers who are already trying (the movie is quite decent compared to a LOT of the phone in's we get with branded adaptations). We'll be lucky if they manage to keep from meddling with things enough to get a decently coherent second movie.
He’s not even an “everyman” type of character though. Regardless, they absolutely didn’t need that type of character to “sell” a new MK movie.

Anyway, I’m still waiting for an MK movie where the main plot actually IS the, ya know, “Mortal Kombat” tournament. The og MK movie at least had one and had some “matches”. But it’s like the people who make the movies don’t think “just” a tournament is a good enough storyline. Which is absolutely not true. Some of the absolute best anime’s, or rather, their best seasons, are always the tournament arcs. DBS, YuYu, HxH (hunter exam had tournament aspects, as well as tournament aspects in later seasons), Record of Ragnarok (which is actually super close to Mortal Kombat as far as it’s supposed to be ‘Gods vs Humans/Mortals’), Baki (the tournament stuff in Baki was fkn godlike), and the list goes on and on.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
He’s not even an “everyman” type of character though. Regardless, they absolutely didn’t need that type of character to “sell” a new MK movie.

Anyway, I’m still waiting for an MK movie where the main plot actually IS the, ya know, “Mortal Kombat” tournament. The og MK movie at least had one and had some “matches”. But it’s like the people who make the movies don’t think “just” a tournament is a good enough storyline. Which is absolutely not true. Some of the absolute best anime’s, or rather, their best seasons, are always the tournament arcs. DBS, YuYu, HxH (hunter exam had tournament aspects, as well as tournament aspects in later seasons), Record of Ragnarok (which is actually super close to Mortal Kombat as far as it’s supposed to be ‘Gods vs Humans/Mortals’), Baki (the tournament stuff in Baki was fkn godlike), and the list goes on and on.
I agree but I don't think MK is associated with a tournament that much these days. It's like the tournament setting was dropped a long time ago and most of the games are mostly about factions fighting against each other in bigger conflicts.

The realms, factions, etc. are excellent lore, but I think MK works better with "smaller" storylines.

Onilordasmodeus

The tournament should be its own movie if you ask me.

The MCU changed a lot in the moviescape, and WB studios should have taken a page out of that book for MK. They should have started small, focusing on only 1 or 2 heroes and 1 villain. They should have built up the franchise from there. My vote is for Sonya, Jax, and Kano. The tournament should be the "Avengers" level event that brings everyone together and tests all the heroes.

Imagine if there was a special forces movie to introduce the universe, then a fire/ice movie to really drive home the mystical stuff, and then a shaolin movie to really explain the tournament. All that taking place BEFORE the actual tournament movie. That would have been the shit if you ask me. They could have built up to the tournament and put all the MK1 characters (plus others) in a single action packed martial arts film that made sense, and actually did the characters justice.

MK has the potential, all it takes is the right people and a studio to back them. The problem has to be the WB execs. They don't know how to handle the DCU movie-verse, so it only makes sense they have no idea how to handle MK.

Last edited:
Imagine if there was a special forces movie to introduce the universe, then a fire/ice movie to really drive home the mystical stuff, and then a shaolin movie to really explain the tournament. All that taking place BEFORE the actual tournament movie. That would have been the shit if you ask me. They could have built up to the tournament and put all the MK1 characters (plus others) in a single action packed martial arts film that made sense, and actually did the characters justice.
Yeah, that would have been awesome. MK definitely has the lore and characters to drive a multi-movie series. It probably also benefits much more from having movies that are character driven where they can explore their background more, rather than a few throwaway lines to explain their reason why they're there.

If nothing else it leaves more room in the story to build out the characters rather than having 15 characters that no one really knows or cares about as they're just there to find another fight.

But as you stated it needs the support of the right people to make it happen, and happen properly. Problem is unless they can see the $$$ coming in from day1 no one is going to bankroll a major multi-movie project the likes of the MCU series. Which is really unfortunate as MK would benefit immensely from such a long form option to build out the universe beyond the games.

Onilordasmodeus

Yeah, that would have been awesome. MK definitely has the lore and characters to drive a multi-movie series. It probably also benefits much more from having movies that are character driven where they can explore their background more, rather than a few throwaway lines to explain their reason why they're there.

If nothing else it leaves more room in the story to build out the characters rather than having 15 characters that no one really knows or cares about as they're just there to find another fight.

But as you stated it needs the support of the right people to make it happen, and happen properly. Problem is unless they can see the $$$ coming in from day1 no one is going to bankroll a major multi-movie project the likes of the MCU series. Which is really unfortunate as MK would benefit immensely from such a long form option to build out the universe beyond the games.
I did hear that HBO is doing a MK episodic series. If it actually happens, I hope that is good at least.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
He should realize that he's not a true Mortal Kombatant and retire :p

"Gonna let the professionals handle this" -Cole Young

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The tournament should be its own movie if you ask me.

The MCU changed a lot in the moviescape, and WB studios should have taken a page out of that book for MK. They should have started small, focusing on only 1 or 2 heroes and 1 villain. They should have built up the franchise from there. My vote is for Sonya, Jax, and Kano. The tournament should be the "Avengers" level event that brings everyone together and tests all the heroes.

MK has the potential, all it takes is the right people and a studio to back them. The problem has to be the WB execs. They don't know how to handle the DCU movie-verse, so it only makes sense they have no idea how to handle MK.
Yes, anything like this that ultimately leads to a Mortal Kombat tournament.

I genuinely believe that if i had the budget, I could write, cast, AND direct multiple MK movies and they’d be infinitely better than the uninspired, lazy writing and essentially just piggybacking off a big well known and long established name like “Mortal Kombat”. But ya know, no one is going to take that or me seriously, and besides, I got like… a dollar. lol