What's new

Strategy More... Venom...! - Venom, properties, and strategy [OUTDATED]

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor

More....... VENOM....!
Bane's trait is unique, so much so that people go about using it in a lot of different ways. On one hand, it can seem overwhelmingly strong to be able to just use special attacks and chew through wake-ups, become projectile immune, and recieve huge damage for no more work than pressing a button. However, at the same time people who have felt the bite of level 3 debuffs know the true nature of venom, being you take only as much as you are willing to give up later on. In this topic, I'm going to breakdown the basic venom properties, the concept behind each stage and what it gives you, a few sample combos, and last but not least some good recommendations for both beginner and veteran players when it comes to venom usage. Without further adeau, lets jump right in.

===========================================================

Pump it up!

The trait, venom boost, holds many different properties. the most noticable are the additions to armor and the damage increases. Lets begin with the damage, and the inevitable losses you recieve when the venom runs dry. To my information, this was done using d.2 as a damage source and the damage taken was measured by using deathstroke's super.

(This graph was made by another member, big_aug, on page 15 of the Bane discussion thread)

Venom Debuff Level - Damage Output - Damage Taken
-------0 -------------------------100% --------------100%
-------1 -------------------------80% --------------~103%
-------2 -------------------------60% --------------~111%
-------3 -------------------------30% --------------~135%

Venom Level - Damage Output
------0 ------------------100%
------1 ------------------110%
------2 ------------------125%
------3 ------------------150%

As you can see, level 1 seems to give the best end of the deal. To further show it, a simple formula can be used to determine the overall effectiveness. The cooldowns are 3 seconds for level 1, 6 seconds for level 2, and 9 seconds for level 3, while the durations are 8 seconds, 7 seconds, and 6 seconds respectively.

VLE = [(DV-LZ)]*VD - |[(DW+(DT-LZ)-LZ)] * DD|
VLE = Venom Level effectiveness
DV = Damage (venomed)
LZ = Level Zero (without venom)
DW = Damage (withdrawl)
DT = Damage Taken
VD = Venom Duration
DD = Debuff duration

For level 1...
VLE = [(1.1-1)]*8 - |[.8+(1.03-1)-1] *3|
VLE = (.1)*8 - |(.83 -1)*3|
VLE = (.8) - |(-.17)*3|
VLE = .8 - .51
VLE = .29

In summary, you gain more or less ~30% effectiveness for using level 1, the damage output giving you more advantage with the low cooldown not taking much account. Now lets move into level 2.

VLE = [(1.25-1)*7 -| [.6+(1.11-1)-1]*6 |
VLE = (.25)*7 - |(.71-1)*6|
VLE = (1.75) - |(-.29)*6|
VLE = 1.75 - 1.74
VLe = .01

You gain about 1% effectiveness from using level 2, meaning its still beneficial to use it but not so much so that it should be your goal. Using it will reap a bit more than it'll take away from the debuff, on average, but more often than not you'll simply break average. Now for the infamous level 3...

VLE = [(1.5-1)]*6 - |[.3+(1.35-1)-1)]*9|
VLE = (.5)*6 - |(.65-1)*9|
VLE = 3 - |(-.35)*9|
VLE = 3 - 3.15
VLE = -0.15

At level 3, the debuff makes the entire venom additions 15% LESS effective than Level 2 as far as raw output is concerned. Circumventing the cooldown through usage of a clash, or ending the game on the other hand reaps huge reward being 10x more effective that using level 1. You gain 300% damage output overall if you remove the debuff from the equation.

Now that we've taken a look at the damage aspect, lets see what the levels can give you.

Level 1 venom -
Armor on : Double Punch, Venom Uppercut, Venom Charge, Body Press, Break the Bat
10% increased damage (130% effectiveness overall)

Level 2 Venom -
Armor on : Double Punch, Venom Uppercut, Venom Charge, Body Press, Break the Bat
25% increased damage (even effectiveness w/debuff, 175% w/out)

Level 3 Venom -
Armor on : Double Punch, Venom Uppercut, Venom Charge, Body Press, Break the Bat, f.2, f.2d
50% increased damage (-15% effectiveness w/debuff , 300% w/out)
Projectile Immunity on all specials, f.2, and f.2d, and break the bat
Breaks super armor with all special moves.

Looking at this, although level 3 gives us the most gained benefit up from 1 as far as armor and damage output goes, level 2 gives us the better effectiveness between buff and debuff. Thus, its better to rely on 2 instead of 3 for most of the damage in matches for the sake of that balance.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

"You fight like a younger man, with nothing held back. Admirable, but mistaken."

One must ask then, why would one ever want to exceed level 1 venom? Including debuff, it still provides a 30% overall boost to your damage output. While this is true, some combos can make the most of the duration of both the venom increase and the cooldown. You also must note that without the debuff, level 2 provides the highest output at 75% without sacrificing effectiveness otherwise. Level 2 also has the better options to having its cooldown avoided in comparison to the lengthly 9 seconds of level 3. Here are some optimal combos for the sake of all 3 levels, including both venomed and withdrawl combos.

Level 1 venom combos will be your primary mix-ups like b.23 and f.2d. These are primarily low-damage combos using meter for moderate damage when necessary, and primarily focus on using your high-low attacks to stay in on the opponent.

b.23 > 123 > d.b.f.3(MB) - 35%
b.23 > b.23 > d.b.f.3 - 29%
f.2d > d.b.f.3(MB) - 28%
f.2d > b.f.1 - 24%

Level 2 venom combos are your jump-ins after your level 1 is beginning to dwindle down. These combos are much higher damage and burning meter to maximize this damage is recommended. Combos with a (W) beside them show combos that will cover the whole duration of withdrawl when landed. Using j.d.3 will be your primary jump-in, and its best to use the venom just before landing to get the maximum duration.

j.d.3 > b.23 > 123 > d.b.f.3(MB) - 49% (W)
j.d.3 > b.23 > d.2 > b.f.1(MB) - 40% (W)
j.d.3 > b.23 > b.21 - 29% with chance for a 26% MB grab reset = 29% / 55%
j.d.3 > b.23 > d.2 > 12 > b.f.2(MB) - 39% (W)
j.d.3 > b.23 > 123 > L2+R2 - 59%

Level 3 venom combos are your end-game maximum-output combos. These will always end in super or command grabs for huge damage. With only 6 seconds to work with, these will be short and sweet with the maximized amount of damage. The only cooldown combo for this is listed at the bottom, and its corner specific.

j.d.3 > b.23 > 123 > L2+R2 - 71%
j.d.3 > b.23 > 123 > d.b.f.3(MB) - 59%
j.d.3 > b.23 > b.21 - 38% with a chance for a 29% MB grab reset = 38% / 67%
j.d.3 > b.23 > 123 > d.b.2(MB) - 57% with a chance for a 25% MB grab reset = 57% / 82% (corner only) (W)

"But what about ring toss?"
Honestly, his air grab gains no benefit from the armor and only has utility in the way of a general catcher if they jump up and backwards, which double punch will take care of with better positioning on your behalf.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Last but not least is my personal words of advice as far as venom usage goes. First off, please do note the beginning equations and try not to go over 2 for the most part. There are some exceptions, such as your 2nd bar of health in which you can clash and do staple damage (not affected by the debuffs) or healing, and refill that juice box. If you are just working on basic f.2d and b.23, I wouldn't suggest going to level 2. However, if you manage to land a j.d.3, feel free to pop it on for that bonus damage.

Level 1 should be sufficive for most of your basic wake-up and oki needs, with its short cooldown time making it simple to extend a wake-up combo and resume it for next to no downtime for the cost of one meter. Level 2 should be used in conjuction with jump-ins, and when it run out don't run away and turtle, go back in and try to land another as most of them cover the entire cooldown which allows you to eliminate that downtime and possibly get that 175% output.

Level 3 is potent, it allows you to rush in and dominate at a huge cost. Avoid using this unless the match will close out upon its use or you have a clash handy to be rid of the negitive effects. If you are near a stage transition and your venom is nearly up, don't be afraid to go for a d.2 bb.R2 to cause the transition. It will do minimal damage, however it will take a decent amount of time off of your venom cooldown and increase that effectiveness.

Once you learn how to control your venom, then you have my permission to try.

~ Best wishes, and more may or may not be coming upon discovery
Doombawkz

The damage taken from the debuff is definitely dependent on the type of attack. Maybe there is some rounding or something going on.

The percentages from my testing don't line up with some of the ones in LaidbackOne 's post. Someone should test further. Maybe there are certain characters that level 3 could be abused against. I might have made a mistake. The damage taken on that one Deathstroke combo he tested is going up to 150% damage taken on level 3.

I tested using Deathstroke's Super and got these numbers.

Level 0 Debuff - 38%
Level 1 Debuff - 39%
Level 2 Debuff - 42%
Level 3 Debuff - 51%

It's safe to say you take a lot more damage at lvl 3 lol

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Great Info!

I've been experimenting with the Venom in actual fights more and more. I've really only used lvl1 & 3 for the most part. 1 for armor on general/wakeup attacks, 3 for armor on projectile happy players and kill shots when I get a jump in or bounce etc. I do feel it's been best to pop lvl2 right when 1 is about to run out as the cool down isn't as bad as lvl3. Honestly I've had to use 3 more than I'd like to combat the instense projectile zoning from several a player to get in and give them some Bane love.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Great write up man. I was in the middle of writing this up, guess I'll go to focusing on the other topic. :p

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Level 3 Venom gives ALL his specials and his 2 normals (F+2/F+2,D) armor breaking. Just tested it out. Even against all Supers (including Superman's). Bane. Breaks. All.
And people say Bane sucks :v I knew my mains were smart picks.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Sorry, but we already established level 3 venom should only be used to finish. So the armor break property isn't as relevant, as armor is usually stronger the earlier in the game it is used. Still, I won't complain, since level 3 venom needs all the help it can get to make it worth the risk. Projectile shield is still there for added bonus to really mess up projectile supers.

It looks like Venom bonuses are linear, while their penalty grows exponentially. Venom level 1 is actually safe enough to use throughout the game without fear. So we should train ourselves to use venom like we would our moves. Level 1 is a special move, Level 2 is a meter burning move that should only be used on hit confirm or desparation. And Level 3 is like a super.

And since our meter moves suck, we can treat meter like our trait which reads: Gain meter 50% faster. So we can use clashes and cancels more freely. Or better yet, Bane gets more push blocks into venom punish.

My head hurts. Did I make any sense there?

quack

Noob
I have a question about venom level 3 vs green lantern's gatling gun. I don't seem to be able use venom level 3 venom charge through it. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just not a projectile or something?

Also thanks for writing all this up, useful information.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Hi. Bane user here as well. I like the character a lot and I am struggling to resist the waves of "jump-back shoot projectile" players.

The ones that are very good will also bait or dodge the charge, so it's very difficult. However, I have noticed the same problem quack said above.

Even if I have level 3, Green Lantern just mows me down with his minigun and he doesn't care. Also, I think (not 100% sure) that batman's batarangs meter burned do not count as projectiles, thus knocking me down in level 3 as well. :(

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Um what? Armor is stronger in the early game? Who said that? Armor will always be an issue whenever the opponent has meter, especially since Bane is susceptible to MB
B+3/F+3s. He gets blown up by em on his wakeup constantly since all his wakeups only do one hit (minus the Double Punch but it can be interrupted still). Lvl 3 Venom totally bypasses that tactic, gets you damage, and now the opponent wasted a bar. Same thing applies with MB interactables. And the armor break property is even more important against characters who constantly have armor like Grundy and Doomsday. Level 3 Venom isn't already established as only viable to end rounds, it's still very versatile and MU dependent imo.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: RYX
Um what? Armor is stronger in the early game? Who said that? Armor will always be an issue whenever the opponent has meter, especially since Bane is susceptible to MB
B+3/F+3s. He gets blown up by em on his wakeup constantly since all his wakeups only do one hit (minus the Double Punch but it can be interrupted still). Lvl 3 Venom totally bypasses that tactic, gets you damage, and now the opponent wasted a bar. Same thing applies with MB interactables. And the armor break property is even more important against characters who constantly have armor like Grundy and Doomsday. Level 3 Venom isn't already established as only viable to end rounds, it's still very versatile and MU dependent imo.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Yea, I agree. It depends on the situation like anything else. Even if you eat a full combo, you are taking an extra 25% at most. Using level 3 might mean they never get to start that combo or you do more damage and it's worth it.

Obviously you shouldn't just go to level 3 every single time or whenever you feel like it.

Reactions: RYX
I have a question about venom level 3 vs green lantern's gatling gun. I don't seem to be able use venom level 3 venom charge through it. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just not a projectile or something?

Also thanks for writing all this up, useful information.
It's because GL's Gatling gun is 4 hits, and you only get 3 hits of armor.

quack

Noob
It's because GL's Gatling gun is 4 hits, and you only get 3 hits of armor.
Hmmm thanks for the response, but I guess I still don't understand, because I'm pretty sure I have charged through Deathstroke's rifle. This move seems to be 4 projectile shots (just checked on a youtube video). Then is the gatling gun not classified as a projectile? Just trying to understand the move a bit better/venom's powers better.

very interesting, great work to put that info, i definitly come back to try with Bane.

I love to finish the battle with his super and with all this info, i guess the basic strategy will be to stay in venom level 1 all the time and just pass it to level 2 or 3 on hit confirm, and break some fu#$%ing vertebrals at the end of match. :mad:

If you get someone in the corner, you should probably work up to level 3. You can take someone from 100% to about 15% with four back breakers (1 MB) progressing from level 1 to level 3. On some characters, that's not hard to do. If on one of the knockdowns you hit a b23 combo, you can outright kill them.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
One day my dream will come true and someone will sticky this, thinking "wow theres some good information here."

I worked hard on that equation to make it work, and as it would turn out even with the improper example it works about the same for most of the numbers given.

Enenra

Go to hell.
One day my dream will come true and someone will sticky this, thinking "wow theres some good information here."

I worked hard on that equation to make it work, and as it would turn out even with the improper example it works about the same for most of the numbers given.
It's great info, they might not have seen it homie. Let me try and help.

Tim Static STORMS GuamoKun Espio Alien Substance

Your thread has been stickied, Doombox. Rejoice!

Sorry, but we already established level 3 venom should only be used to finish. So the armor break property isn't as relevant, as armor is usually stronger the earlier in the game it is used. Still, I won't complain, since level 3 venom needs all the help it can get to make it worth the risk. Projectile shield is still there for added bonus to really mess up projectile supers.

It looks like Venom bonuses are linear, while their penalty grows exponentially. Venom level 1 is actually safe enough to use throughout the game without fear. So we should train ourselves to use venom like we would our moves. Level 1 is a special move, Level 2 is a meter burning move that should only be used on hit confirm or desparation. And Level 3 is like a super.

And since our meter moves suck, we can treat meter like our trait which reads: Gain meter 50% faster. So we can use clashes and cancels more freely. Or better yet, Bane gets more push blocks into venom punish.

My head hurts. Did I make any sense there?
I have a hard time against Deathstroke spammers on anything less than 3 venoms consumed. Now I know I shouldn't play in rooms with these people but after dominating KOTH rooms with Bane eventually someone shows up with Deathstroke to try and f*ck my sh!t up if nothing else for the EXP pot.

You only get 1 point of armor on 1 & 2 venoms burned. Couple that with any Deathstroke who knows a thing or two about when to time spammed shots and it's nearly impossible for me to get in on them without a painfully slow process of interspersed jumping, ducking, and blocking procedure which just ends up either with heavy pushback from the guns (forcing me to start over) or dude just running further away.

So here I am stuck pumping max venoms just to eat the guns and get close enough to make him regret that decision. The problem is that after that... well you know... 3 venom cooldown + unblockable guns = gonna have a bad time.

Any tips?