What's new

MK Trilogy Tier Lists in 2023?

Trying to look into this more, any and all posts I can find about Trilogy are from nearly a decade ago. Some of them don't have the chameleons ranked, some don't mention glitch jabs, there's a lot of debate over certain placements, etc. Can't say I've ever played Trilogy so I'm not able to create my own list for it, so maybe you guys can help. Ideally, I'm looking for a list for both N64 and PSX.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
There’s a different tier list between the PlayStation version, and the N64 version. The N64 version is typically what is used competitively and for tournaments, as it was a bit more balanced, competitive, and faster. Also you only have to ban Noob in the N64 version, you have to ban several characters in the PlayStation version.

As far as the actual tier lists, idk where any are located tbh.
Isn't Noob top 1?
He’s banned competitively though. He has several different ways to not only do his infinite, there’s several different ways to initiate it.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Definitely Rain and Noob Saibot in both versions take the cake. The game though IMO needs UMK3 arcade-like graphics. Also...human Sub and Classic Sub were combined to save memory on N64 giving him moves from both. So for what that is worth that probably ups his tier on that version. I played MK2-MKT(both versions) so much that once Mk9 was released I was way burnt out. Regardless...if you have not played it and into the others it is a fun romp. If ur good at UMK3 or well versed then almost all have a great chance so hard to say.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Definitely Rain and Noob Saibot in both versions take the cake. The game though IMO needs UMK3 arcade-like graphics. Also...human Sub and Classic Sub were combined to save memory on N64 giving him moves from both. So for what that is worth that probably ups his tier on that version. I played MK2-MKT(both versions) so much that once Mk9 was released I was way burnt out. Regardless...if you have not played it and into the others it is a fun romp. If ur good at UMK3 or well versed then almost all have a great chance so hard to say.
Yeah, Classic Sub is a top 5 or so character in N64 MKT. He’s super fun to use.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Eh more like the Saturn version, however there is a fan patch to make it more faithful to the PSX version.
Important to note. At the time, the Saturn had UMK3 when other consoles didn't. Then for whatever reason it never arrived in stores until July when was supposed to be out months sooner and even promoted in game magazines in the spring. Then MKT came out that fall for PSX/N64. The N64 version was also delayed. The Saturn also had at the time the closest arcade accurate version of MK2. The Saturn though did have longer load times. I think this is why at the time the SNES version of MK2 stole the show. It still is odd to me they could never get arcade accurate versions of these games. They always came close but never got there or were sound glitches. Anyhow, I digress.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
There’s a different tier list between the PlayStation version, and the N64 version. The N64 version is typically what is used competitively and for tournaments, as it was a bit more balanced, competitive, and faster. Also you only have to ban Noob in the N64 version, you have to ban several characters in the PlayStation version.

As far as the actual tier lists, idk where any are located tbh.

He’s banned competitively though. He has several different ways to not only do his infinite, there’s several different ways to initiate it.
I personally think, both were stupid broken and both are different games, the PSX had MK2/MK1 chars with broken damage output, and a far worse shang tsung morph, but the physics in that game are much similar to UMK3, while the PC version is also faster.

The N64 version doesn't have MK1/MK2 classic chars, but you have scorpion/Ermac/Smoke having multi tele combos, noob throwing shadow toss and a disabler right after making one of the most broken setups in the game, his teleport loop is much easier to do in N64 version, Super Sub-Zero with Ice Clone that doesn't freeze if you are coming from the air holding block, which he can use this to ground freeze and make an unblockable setup.

Both are different games in general, even from a gameplay perspective, i just wish he had a definitive version that could combine both games, while i love the classic inclusion of PSX, the gameplay of N64 it's something i didn't know i wanted until i tried, loved how some of the things were completely different in that game.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I personally think, both were stupid broken and both are different games, the PSX had MK2/MK1 chars with broken damage output, and a far worse shang tsung morph, but the physics in that game are much similar to UMK3, while the PC version is also faster.

The N64 version doesn't have MK1/MK2 classic chars, but you have scorpion/Ermac/Smoke having multi tele combos, noob throwing shadow toss and a disabler right after making one of the most broken setups in the game, his teleport loop is much easier to do in N64 version, Super Sub-Zero with Ice Clone that doesn't freeze if you are coming from the air holding block, which he can use this to ground freeze and make an unblockable setup.

Both are different games in general, even from a gameplay perspective, i just wish he had a definitive version that could combine both games, while i love the classic inclusion of PSX, the gameplay of N64 it's something i didn't know i wanted until i tried, loved how some of the things were completely different in that game.
The only “broken” characters in N64 MKT is Noob and maybe Rain. Aside from that, the game is extremely competitive. PSX version has too many characters that you have to ban, and N64 version is just better overall.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The only “broken” characters in N64 MKT is Noob and maybe Rain. Aside from that, the game is extremely competitive. PSX version has too many characters that you have to ban, and N64 version is just better overall.
Outside of noob/Classics who else do you ban in PSX version? the bosses don count btw

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Rain is a bill. Character is garbage

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
I can't speak on PSX but on N64 the absurd characters are in no particular order

Banned
  • Noob Saibot
S-Tier
  • Classic Sub-Zero
  • Kabal
  • Human Smoke
  • Ermac
  • Nightwolf
  • Jax
  • Robot Smoke
  • Kung Lao
I really think CSub probably should have been banned.

As a C sub/Reptile main Trilogy on the N64 creates problems. C sub has toomany things going for him. Ice clone can create some degenerate things, it just ain't a fun move to deal with. Ice shower is fun, but C sub just has toomany moves lol they should make it so the c sub player has to pick 3 of the 5 moves to have or something like that then that would probably be cool. Reptile gets his consistency in his combos hampered, so that's unpleasant.

UMK3 c sub may be nerfed, but it's how I prefer the character to be so that less ppl are just trying to be zone heavy bastards and have to actually play the game. I've always been an aggressive sub, so I don't mind the idea of removing the OP suoer zone c sub.

Gonna agree with Biggs on Rain here sorta. Rains got hella damage off the kick starters and has combos off the wazoo, but he has no way of defending himself from bad situations. He's a perfect example that power alone isn't gonna make you a good character.

If I were to put my finger on what the top threats of MkT on N64 in my childhood experience it would probably be something like..

Stupid plz ban: Noob (An older bro of mine beat me with Noob as a kid and I got super pissed. The trauma remains.)

Borderline ban: Sub (mained tf outta him as a kid. This version of sub can play like a total prick lmao but I just ran at ppl and almost never did any zoning.)

After that shit it's the ol usual stuff. H.Smoke, Kabal, Ermac, etc. Oh wait Nightwolf don't get me fucking started on Nightwolf! He was basically my secondary alongside sub and I remember just mashing tf out of buttons and doing crazy damage LOL he's a monster and really easy for a kid to pick up and play. Sonya is good. She do beef cake damage and got a nice butt to look at while ur pounding the opponent with her. I just don't like that she fucking launches with her pop up via up input rather than the typical down, that just made me not wanna play her.

Kitana felt pretty shit compared to UMK3 lol cuz she just didn't do damage and her main schtick was pressure via jabs and having hella oki off her throws, so I imagine the other female ninjas are also shit. Rain feels solid, just not OP lol you just had to get on top of him and he would die. Rain can fuck on Jax for example, but if Jax puts Rain in the corner it's a wrap. The characters that got buffed via new moves not named sub don't really improve that much. Raiden MIGHT be damn good potentially. He was cool. Easy bake oven inputs and good damage and options. Uhhhh, what else ummmm.. Cage was very weird.. He feels clonky and awkward, but he's got weird things going which can be nice like when he does a low kick he really leans forward with it making it very ranged. Feels like a pretty bad character though. A lot of mid tiers here tbh.