What's new

Li mei’s range

Nrs needs to give her a lil range honestly. there are so many pokes and sweep thats have so much range that keeps her out. you cant even punish some pokes cuz they’re -6 or db3 doesnt even reach. counterpoking isnt even a thing you should do sometimes cuz ppl love to d1 backdash. and even if you manage to hit someone with a d1 or especially a d4, you cant even jail a s1 or b2 cuz theyre so far away. i know that if she had range, she’d probably be broke but if they nerf her damage a bit and give her more range, id be cool with that. like if they gave db3 more range and scaled it more, that would be cool

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
She is definitely stubby, but it’s built into her character archetype.

You have d4, f4, b3, 21, db3 and iad4 for your mid range options. She also has a pretty decent dash, which can be utilised to maintain her spacing.

Wigy

There it is...
She is definitely stubby, but it’s built into her character archetype.

You have d4, f4, b3, 21, db3 and iad4 for your mid range options. She also has a pretty decent dash, which can be utilised to maintain her spacing.
In some matchups you can barely use any move outside d4. Genuinely think f4 needs a speed buff or something.. 21 feels absolutely pointless

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
In some matchups you can barely use any move outside d4. Genuinely think f4 needs a speed buff or something.. 21 feels absolutely pointless
21 is underrated imo. Especially with Janet/Mavado, you’re getting a full combo punish off the string.

s2 is relatively fast and the string has deceptive range. I find it better the s4 and s1 if the opponent is at a slight distance

Wigy

There it is...
21 is underrated imo. Especially with Janet/Mavado, you’re getting a full combo punish off the string.

s2 is relatively fast and the string has deceptive range. I find it better the s4 and s1 if the opponent is at a slight distance
with mavado ive been poking with s4 a lot its plus so you can d4 after. Go into 4/43/434/4312 mindgames.

ill try use 21 one more.. but does s4 not have more range and a much better mindgame off the followup? Its only a little slower.

my main issue is so much of her shit is slow and has no range. So you get backdash whiff punished in some matchups free unless you’re point blank and hit them with a poke. She needs SOMETHING, f4 coming out faster, 21 advancing A LOT.

the amount of times ive seen b3 get beat by pokes when i should win makes me think it has some hitbox blind spot low down. I would happily remove all plus frames to give that more range

I know her archetype is stubby brawler but jesus it makes some matchups feel impossible

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
with mavado ive been poking with s4 a lot its plus so you can d4 after. Go into 4/43/434/4312 mindgames.

ill try use 21 one more.. but does s4 not have more range and a much better mindgame off the followup? Its only a little slower.

my main issue is so much of her shit is slow and has no range. So you get backdash whiff punished in some matchups free unless you’re point blank and hit them with a poke. She needs SOMETHING, f4 coming out faster, 21 advancing A LOT.

the amount of times ive seen b3 get beat by pokes when i should win makes me think it has some hitbox blind spot low down. I would happily remove all plus frames to give that more range

I know her archetype is stubby brawler but jesus it makes some matchups feel impossible
21 has slightly better range than s4, and advances further than 43. Also ends in 214 so you can either bait them to poke (full combo punish), bait armour, bait a high (and micro duck and punish) or keep your plus frames.

Wigy

There it is...
21 has slightly better range than s4, and advances further than 43. Also ends in 214 so you can either bait them to poke (full combo punish), bait armour, bait a high (and micro duck and punish) or keep your plus frames.
What scenarios do you find yourself using the s2 in? High level li mei play i only ever see it used in combos.

Wigy

There it is...
I still think her kit can be as great as it is in parts she cant use anything in some matchups and other characters like kitana can have the damage and better zoning and good mids

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
disagree. She probably needs a little help but I don't like the idea of buffing a character by just fixing her biggest weakness. her design is built around having stubby buttons, giving her good normals just goes against that design. would much rather they lean in to her strengths instead if they wanted to buff her. a character that can full combo punish a blocked d1 should struggle with traditional counter poking imo.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
her amp projectile needs to be mid
I mean it’s 0/+1 on block, launches, and jails from 124.

I wouldn’t complain if they made it mid, but I don’t think they NEED to.

Would certainly make her zoning/pressure soooo much better. (21, 12, b3, 43 - there goes your poking opportunity!) And with Mavado, she get an easy full screen combo from bf1(ex) hitting anywhere on screen. She might be a bit ridiculous.

The more I think about it, the more I realise that I don’t think they’re going to give Li Mei anything. She kinda sits in this weird spot where she’s super strong, but struggles enough in several matchups that people consider her low/low-mid tier. I don’t think she’s gonna get anything. She’s one small change from being busted (eg. mid ex bf1).

A couple of changes I’ve seen bandied about:
  • make f43 safe, but the second hit is high
  • give another string off f4 (eg. f42) that hits mid, is safe, but knocks away (like scorpions mid kick)
  • bf1 ex hits mid (lol)
  • giver her an ex lantern that comes out faster and can be dash cancelled
  • make f4 14 frames startup
  • b2 12 frame
  • give b2 another follow up, to allow you to hit confirm from your mid.
Honestly I don’t think she’ll get anything, and I’m ok with that. She’s a weird mix of overpowered and struggle at once. If you get hit, there goes half your life bar, but if you can space her out she’s gonna struggle.

Carp90s

Keep it civil with me!
I think Li Mei’s range is perfectly fine when you factor in what she does have.

• Fastest reversal in the game in DB3
  • Permanently safe on block, launching, fast EX fireball
  • Multiple ways to get to plus frames in pressure
  • D A M A G E
She already has great whiff punish / block punishing specials, giving her more range on normals feels hap-hazardous. I’d like to see maybe a new string option for some of her ones with more egregious gaps to allow her to play it a bit safer when desired and call it a day.

Wigy

There it is...
I think Li Mei’s range is perfectly fine when you factor in what she does have.

• Fastest reversal in the game in DB3
  • Permanently safe on block, launching, fast EX fireball
  • Multiple ways to get to plus frames in pressure
  • D A M A G E
She already has great whiff punish / block punishing specials, giving her more range on normals feels hap-hazardous. I’d like to see maybe a new string option for some of her ones with more egregious gaps to allow her to play it a bit safer when desired and call it a day.
and you can initiate basically none of that if you cant touch your opponent.

The issue is her zoning doesnt force the opponent to approach especially with the right kameo. What tools does she have to approach, instant air db4 (unsafe) d4 and f4. The second you’re against someone with long reach normals without hitboxes you cant use shit.

Wigy

There it is...
I like @Pan1cMode suggestions.

i think mid ex bf1 is stupid. D4 ex bf1 would become next level idiotic.

For her range issues either b2 first hit shoots out fireworks like b21 to have slightly better range and a no hurtbox at the end…

orrrr

b34 gets a significant range buff and loses its frames, you can basically not use that string outside of oki and 12 backdash whiff punishing (which doesnt work on a lot of the cast)

ex db4 can now be cancelled on block so the second hit doesnt come out, still unsafe but would create a punish mindgame on Flawless block. Its probably one of the easiest flawless block punishes in the game.

Her damage is very good but a lot of the cast get near enough the same. Shao khan gets 55% off an armoured command grab.

She’s easily the stubbiest character in the game, with some of the worst mid checks in the game. She has mix and damage but in a number of matchups you just can’t initiate any of it.

theres so much pushback on alot of things that li mei cant punish or just barely. like kham ballroll or some pokes and sweeps. if she’s designed to punish pokes then i think if db3 had more range, long pokes wouldn’t be a problem. i also think that b2 needs to jail into bf1 or maybe have more range/speed. so you can catch back dashes or mashing pokes