What's new

Question - Kotal Kahn Kotal Khan vs Kenshi help pls

Santa_Destroyer

Blood n' cigs' PSN: Santa_Destroyer
I have serious trouble with that matchup. Balanced Kenshi is a nightmare for me. Can any one give me some good tips ? I must be patient in that MU that's for sure but what can I do more ?

I'll be greatful. I use Sun God and War God.
The things you should know are
what is punishable.
Obviously patience is key! Really can't stress that enough.

let's start with some generell stuff.

On fullscreen you can punish his overhead special, you know the one where the spirit comes from the skies, with a run in and f1b2.
ONLY ON WHIFF!
It maybe takes some time to read your opponent to know when he does the fullscreen overhead.

Then there is the teleflurry which you have to block or neutral duck.
Up close you can punish a blocked teleflurry especially a whiffed but kenshi is most likley gonna use a tele push, wich again is unsafe on block if he dosen't burn the bar.
You also can jip on read on a tele push, dosen't work on teleflurry

If you are close to him respect his bar if he has one, ex push is safe.
Ex rising karma is unsafe so punish accordingly.
You also should always block low because he has an low combo starter and as far as I'm aware no overheads.

ALSO YOU CAN'T REFLECT ANY OF HIS SPECIALS!

I also like to do the f12 at the start of the match to check kenshi because that is a 9 frames (not sure) advancing mid string wich is safe.
watch out for an ex rising karma on read though so not always the best idea.
On hit you send him fullscreen away but you will deny him the extra bar wich is crucial to kenshi.

Up close kotal has the advantage.
If you got kenshi cornerd and he has no bar, go ham.
make use of kotals b2 (overhead) to scare them the try open him up with the f34 into whatever.
Pressure with war god and sun god might be a little easier than blood god.
Do some throws in the mix.

Now some Variation specifics:

War God

Mix-ups!
ex sword toss leaves you massively on plus for a full run in. Watch out for reflect!
You can eat up his ex rising karma with ex overhead sword on read, not sure about ex push.

Sun God

Pressure and armor with the sun choke.
Again Can't reflect any oh his specials.
you can bait a poke if you do 114 grab parry with full combo punish, if you guess wrong though, full screen away.
I also recommend doing the ex charge to instantly be lvl 3 but only on a hard knockdown!

Blood God

Is my fave.
The only real benefits you got though are the def totem and the dmg totem, the blood totem is almost useless because it requires you to hit him and not get hit in return. wich is tough in this MU.
But you half his dmg with the defense totem.
The thing is it might be hard to set up the totems because of kenshis zoning.

Not the best MU but also not kotals worst imo.
Hope this somewhat helps.
If anybody wants to correct me or ask something, you're welcome :)

Reactions: GAV