What's new

Johnny Cage General Discussion thread

Temptress

Edenian Empress
Johnny seriously looks incredible and I'm certainly contemplating picking him up down the line. I will say, though, that while I really love how some characters have these unique mechanics and creative/skill expressions, the disparity between Johnny and someone like Kitana is jarring. Dude gets an Injustice trait, his own throw breakaway + disable mechanic, MK9 Smoke special and Kitana gets...check notes...uh, nothing? Odd.

EDIT: Fixed typo

Last edited:

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
it's not infinite, you can cancel 3 times, with any special of your choice, after the third one the cancel ends unless you cancel with a dash to keep them standing or do something else.
Ikno Ikno just wanted to make a jokey joke still . That mechanic is nuts and is gonna make for some sick gameplay setups, reminds me of Injustice traits . I hope more characters have tht of some sort.

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
Are you seriously complaining that a character seems too good? Yeah, he looks wild, but we have absolutely no idea how this game will even work competitively. Cage could end up being mid tier for all we know, relax lol.
In wouldn’t even acknowledge him lord Juggs . Few screws loose..

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
One legit concern I have for this game is its balance. With the kameo system its going to be a nightmare I reckon.

Temptress

Edenian Empress
One legit concern I have for this game is its balance. With the kameo system its going to be a nightmare I reckon.
Oh, undoubtedly. In true NRS fashion I'm sure they'll implement a couple balance patches before dipping and leaving the S tier monstrosities and the unviable shit tiers untouched, just like MK9.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
In NRS's defence back when MKx and MK11 was around I did a character representation excel doc for this, street fighter and tekken games of the time.. MK always had much more roster diversity than the other games. Most NRS games huge chunks of the roster are viable. That the cool thing about breakaways... just make everyone OP and let skill sort it out. MK9 was busted, no doubt, but there is a perception that MK is not balance, but it is actually more balanced than most fighters. You can pick almost any roster slot in MKx or MK11 and see it played high level at majors in top 16 and lower. You can't say that about most games.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Johnny will be a combo machine, especially in the corners :D

For his lack of projectile, I'm sure his Kameo will have one, so, is just a matter to pair his playable version with his kameo version and bingo, you have all issues resolved ;)

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
In NRS's defence back when MKx and MK11 was around I did a character representation excel doc for this, street fighter and tekken games of the time.. MK always had much more roster diversity than the other games. Most NRS games huge chunks of the roster are viable. That the cool thing about breakaways... just make everyone OP and let skill sort it out. MK9 was busted, no doubt, but there is a perception that MK is not balance, but it is actually more balanced than most fighters. You can pick almost any roster slot in MKx or MK11 and see it played high level at majors in top 16 and lower. You can't say that about most games.
Last couple NRS games have generally had about 10-15 characters that people complain are top 5.

NHDR

Noob
Could be, I'm with you until we can test the final product. Consider also character matchups: one matchup could be 5-5, for example, but then be a huge advantage to one character based only on the chosen kameo. I'm just theorizing at this point but its a possibility, I suppose.

BumbleBee

Power of Toasty
I'm sure it's still far from being finalized, but if you opt to build the Star Meter (i refuse to call it Hype Meter) via taunts - you'll have to get behind your assist every time, because it looks extremely unsafe even on hit. Unironically, Johnny became Dan in this one.

Jynks

My favorite asshole actor is back and more glorious than ever. Can’t wait to be toxic and taunt. God bless NRS infinite nut punches
why is everyone saying "infinite"... I bet some lame youtuber like max or something said it ..... you can only do 3 times.

why is everyone saying "infinite"... I bet some lame youtuber like max or something said it ..... you can only do 3 times.
You’re probably 100% right. I just missed having fun with johnny and three nut punches coming from MK11 just looks wild. Has me excited to see how the other cast is gonna play like ermac’s souls etc. If anything, this is flash 2.0 and im for it.

NHDR

Noob
So in analyzing the character breakdown, it looks like it will be tough to build the hype via taunting. I'm guessing you'll have to be full screen against a character without fast projectile options, OR rely on certain kameos for safety. Depending on how the oki system works, using it after hard knock downs may also be a thing.

Jynks

So in analyzing the character breakdown, it looks like it will be tough to build the hype via taunting. I'm guessing you'll have to be full screen against a character without fast projectile options, OR rely on certain kameos for safety. Depending on how the oki system works, using it after hard knock downs may also be a thing.
It looks to me that his main hype build (assuming there are no setups for it) would be to fake nut block to "duck" under a projectile. Allowing him to avoid zoning, build star power in relitive safty.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
They said he had a lot of juggling moves, I imagine he will be often be relying on Kameos to keep it safe at the end of combos

NariTuba

disMember
The "hold the pose" button with johnny should work like a charge, the longer you hold the more you charge and the more you risk. If you have to commit to the entire pose every time that makes it pretty much useless

Jynks

The "hold the pose" button with johnny should work like a charge, the longer you hold the more you charge and the more you risk. If you have to commit to the entire pose every time that makes it pretty much useless
bold statement.... there are sure to be setups and ways to make it safer using kameos.... just needs to be labbed. It is obviously very powerful so it should take effort to use it.

We already know you can duck fireballs with the nutpunch star move thing... so that is already a way to build it while being defensive... same as doing a perfect block in MK11 or just normal ducking. Though, again, labbing would be needed... my point is that just on a casual visual look we can see some setups already.... so once we have the lab and all the kameos and stuff... I couldn't possibly believe there would not be safer setups for it.

People said the same thing about Kotals Totems, and they get on the table fine.