What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage Pre-Release General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slymind

Noob
I'm certain Fisticuff only gives Johnny the fist bump powerup and the infinite string. Red Glow showing up in Stunt Double proves it's across all his variations. Another thing: If Red Glow makes moves ex for free, how come Shadow Kick didn't go full-screen when he was in glow mode when they demo'd Fisticuffs? EX Shadow Kick is supposed to go full screen and have armor, but in the one instance we saw them do a Red Shadow Kick, it didn't go full screen and stopped in front of Raiden.

Since it was brought up earlier, Stunt Double only gives two shadows. The reason why I like this variation more than the other two is because it's similar to Lobo (Sinestro and Green Arrow are similar in this case, as well) and how he has to gain his trait without getting bodied for doing it in neutral. For Lobo to get his two shells, he needs to do a full combo and end with f21 xx trait/21 xx trait. If he uses a shot afterwards then lands a MB grab or any kind of hit, he can easily do this same tactic to load up his second shot and go back to having full shots.

With Johnny Cage, I imagine most combos will go: pop up string, dash up, 114 xx stunt double activation/fisticuff activation to guarantee getting those variations in without getting a projectile to the face or a full screen attack punishing you. Used up a double by throwing a projectile? Land another hit and end in loading up your shadows again. This fixes the "only two shadows?" problem, you are able to replenish your shadows mid-combo.
You might have misunderstood that part, the danger mode is damage boost only, it does not give enhanced properties.

You might have misunderstood that part, the danger mode is damage boost only, it does not give enhanced properties.
nono, I knew that. Someone else was saying the red glow made it so ex's were free and I was trying to disprove that.

@Peckapowa You know people can tech the ex grab, right? I don't see the point in ending a combo in nut punch for advantage and then giving up that advantage for something the opponent can possibly get out of. I'd rather go for a mix-up or chip after nut-punch, since the advantage'll allow me to do that.

nono, I knew that. Someone else was saying the red glow made it so ex's were free and I was trying to disprove that.

@Peckapowa You know people can tech the ex grab, right? I don't see the point in ending a combo in nut punch for advantage and then giving up that advantage for something the opponent can possibly get out of. I'd rather go for a mix-up or chip after nut-punch, since the advantage'll allow me to do that.
Maybe if he's built like batgirl you always go for a mixup, if not I think ex grab is a very good idea, considering the difficulty of teching in mk9 with a block button, and that the grab helps open things up, it's just another option. Hopefully the game isn't like injustice in that respect. The only thing that kept me from grabbing except for cornering my pop. With cage in mk9 was the lack of pressure guaranteed, I would gladly have burnt the meter to both get 12% and a free follow up/chip and reposition my opponent, in risk of them teaching, which they would only do if I was predictable. Remember mkx chip doesn't seem as strong

Maybe if he's built like batgirl you always go for a mixup, if not I think ex grab is a very good idea, considering the difficulty of teching in mk9 with a block button, and that the grab helps open things up, it's just another option. Hopefully the game isn't like injustice in that respect. The only thing that kept me from grabbing except for cornering my pop. With cage in mk9 was the lack of pressure guaranteed, I would gladly have burnt the meter to both get 12% and a free follow up/chip and reposition my opponent, in risk of them teaching, which they would only do if I was predictable. Remember mkx chip doesn't seem as strong

@ 41:22 you get like 1+% for doing EX Grab in a combo, Reptile does NJP into it and it only added like a tiny bit of damage afterward. It really doesn't seem worth it with Johnny, dude lol. I'd go for nut-punch for resets and activation for zoning/attempting to get in.

@ 41:22 you get like 1+% for doing EX Grab in a combo, Reptile does NJP into it and it only added like a tiny bit of damage afterward. It really doesn't seem worth it with Johnny, dude lol. I'd go for nut-punch for resets and activation for zoning/attempting to get in.
Dude the grab is after the nut punch reset, so it'd be like a 12% add-on to the combo with another follow up, the use of the ex is simply free pressure... So 30% combo, tick throw another 12% plus a mixup/ another throw. Hell nut punch might have enough adv. to summon trait snd still pressure

Slymind

Noob

Oh, i see, sorry then, got it out of context.

@Cage Redfield I'm under the impression you can just mb a grab naked, perhaps I'm wrong I gtg though. From what I understand now, perhaps mb grabs are only for convos which would make 0 sense if u can already nutpunch.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
That's because Kung Lao and Raiden exist.
Well I already saw the potential problems with Kung Lao, Raiden, Kitana and Cassie just by the gameplay we've seen so far. I foresee the catastrophic reset capacity among certain characters in this next MK game to become off-the-charts. WTF is wrong with them at NRS! Don't they see these things? Good grief. Why can't Scorpion have a hit confirming ex combo launcher or have his hell fire as a combo starter or his spear to able to shoot out diagonally like Batman's sky grapple right. No, they have to make his moves extremely punishable on block and his launchers very telegraphic. I'm already disgusted with what I see with some characters in this game and its not even out yet.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
I already know what's going to happen on week one of the games launch. People who haven't spent enough time practicing, playing and learning are going to cry about how Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Reptile and Ermac have unpunishable moves and specials because they to stupid to wait and learn all the other REALLy broken and OVERPOWRED characters yet. So pretty much all the ninjas are going get nerfed to high hell before we even realize they don't need to be nerfed but probably need to actually be buffed to handle the broken and overpoweredness of characters like Raiden, Mileena, Cassie, Johnny, Kung Lao, Kitana and probably Sindel and Kenshi. Here we go, MK9 all over again but with 3 variations of brokenness.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I already know what's going to happen on week one of the games launch. People who haven't spent enough time practicing, playing and learning are going to cry about how Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Reptile and Ermac have unpunishable moves and specials because they to stupid to wait and learn all the other REALLy broken and OVERPOWRED characters yet. So pretty much all the ninjas are going get nerfed to high hell before we even realize they don't need to be nerfed but probably need to actually be buffed to handle the broken and overpoweredness of characters like Raiden, Mileena, Cassie, Johnny, Kung Lao, Kitana and probably Sindel and Kenshi. Here we go, MK9 all over again but with 3 variations of brokenness.
You can't assume any of this. Especially not from any of the gameplay we've seen from Tyler and Derek.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
Day one any character with a teleport or obviously useful special move will be deemed broken and half the people that bought or rented the game to see the fatalities and the stupid special moves will stop playing Immediately. That's just par for the course really, the average person really doesn't want to try hard at anything and that's more than just video games unfortunately.

Last edited:

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
You can't assume any of this. Especially not from any of the gameplay we've seen from Tyler and Derek.
How could this not be assumed, given NRS record going back to MK9. I know Tyler and Derek's gameplay is just basically newb status specials and throws, but just from some of the moves already seen and comments from Derek and Tyler inform a lot.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Day one any character with a teleport or obviously useful special move will be deemed broken and half the people that bought or rented the game to see the fatalities and the stupid special moves will stop playing Immediately. That's just par for the course really, the average person really doesn't want to try hard at anything and that's more than just video games unfortunately.
That's what I'm worried about. Characters who shouldn't be under the radar getting nerfed because of popularity and characters who should be under the radar almost stay the same or slip under the nerf radar altogether thus creating another 4-5 character tournaments.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
The only hope I have, but the more I see the less hope I have, is that NRS is smart enough to give at least one true rushdown-offensive version for each character and every character with a variation able to deal with spamming/zoning projectile characters.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
That's what I'm worried about. Characters who shouldn't be under the radar getting nerfed because of popularity and characters who should be under the radar almost stay the same or slip under the nerf radar altogether thus creating another 4-5 character tournaments.
People don't like to try, it's as simple as that. When they go to school they do just enough to get the passing grade and thats it. When you go to the gym most of the people on the machines are either watching television or playing on their cell phones in between occasional bouts of using the machines. We live in a country where people have sued mcdonalds for making them fat as if someone's forcing them to order the Big Mac. It's easier to bitch than to put forth real effort, cynical as it may sound it's the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.