What's new

Is the Injustice Prima Guide worth it/any good?

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
I didn't get a good look at it I seen it at my local gamestop but then I seen the hard cover guide and bought that instead and it was worth the $30 I spent on it imo

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
The game just came out, so theres no tourney activity or anything like that.
If youre patient, TYM will evolve just as it did with MK9 and combos, setups, and fundamentals will come around.

As a newly released game, id buy the guide for Injustice.
4 months down the line i would not.
The guide could give you a convenient head start :3

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
It is absolute garbage. Tons of incorrect information and sloppy editing. It describes one of Doomsdays moves as being "totally safe on block" and "full-combo punishable on block" in adjacent sentences...

Briyen

Noob
Don't unless you are collecting for fun, it'll help for like a month or less, tech changes so fast

PwnStar

Noob
It would really help if there was a preview page online to tease the content. I question deeply it's survivability post patches, but write ups may help get me started, especially if it has a well organized move/frame data list with move properties. The in game move list is phenomenal (did NRS actually listen to my complaints of MK at Evo?!?), but I would buy it solely if its convenience would outlasts patches. I still reference my UMvC3 and SC5 guides religiously.

Plus...I question Tom Brady's input after much of his commentary on Sub Zero >_____> (also I personally dislike him) #datbias

Dedamn666

Big Poppa Pump
It is absolute garbage. Tons of incorrect information and sloppy editing. It describes one of Doomsdays moves as being "totally safe on block" and "full-combo punishable on block" in adjacent sentences...
Really? I mean really? I was gonna buy this on Friday in the UK. I will avoid the toll this time round.

Dedamn666

Big Poppa Pump
Really? I mean really? I was gonna buy this on Friday in the UK. I will avoid the toll this time round.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
It has no frame data, un-optimized combos, incorrect information (possibly pre-patch info?); just a ton of issues that can actually do more harm than good. It's the MK9 guide all over again. Its shittiness is possibly lawsuit-worthy.

Shady

Noob
Not to knock on anyone's hustle, but in the age of online, is any guide really worth it? The point of the FGC community is to grow together as competitive players, share their tech and let the game grow. In that respect, I think there is no reason to ever buy the guide. The forums will support you, and at the end of the day, the patches will change a lot of things entirely about how we view the game, just look at MK. So, no, if you're a serious FG player or plan to be a part of the community, I'd say it's not worth it.

On the other hand, there is an entirely different market of people out there, the one that is significantly larger than our small MK scene or even the whole FGC scene. Those are casual gamers who play for fun, against friends and don't really think of attending tournaments. Or maybe it's someone's first fighting game. In that case, a guide like that is a good and valuable resource to help those players get into the game.

I just don't get why promote this guide to us, the FGC? Promote it to the other market.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Even then, the guide is straight-up telling people to do the wrong things. I knew it would be outdated in a month or so, but wanted to get started on the right foot and to have something to read when I couldn't play. Not only was the guide outdated before its own fucking street date, but some of the info isn't even outdated; it's flat-out incorrect and contradictory.

What really sucks is that you're right; we're not the target audience. Unfortunately, the target audience is who isn't going to know they're reading bad info.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Fighting game Strat guides are usually moot within a month of release anyway.

Patches/ fixes/ DLC (content/characters) and updates kill fighting Strat guides.

It is not totally useless.. I got it for reading material... It is what it is... General guidelines reading material for work or the hopper.

shano

Noob
Thanks for the replys guys just thought it may be handy to help me pickup and understand the characters faster without having to go to a PC everytime i wanna try learn a new character and maybe learn the mechanics/fundamentals faster as i am not used to the NRS/MK style games.

Will give this a skip then the SFXT & UMVC3 Guides were well done pitty about this one oh well.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
It's pretty lacking in info all around. Some characters have 20+ combos listed, others have 4 or 5. Very little in the way of strategy, no frame data, no complete normals (?!), very shoddy system info...overall the in-game info is much better and more complete than the guide...which is sad.

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
Good feedback. I preordered it on Amazon a while back. It should arrive tomorrow. The in game info is surprisingly good. I've also learned quite a bit from the TYM. I've been in training mode all evening with Batman. Things are starting to come together rather nicely.