What's new

Fighting Game Terminology / Frame Data

I have no idea what half the people on a twitch tournament stream say.

"TAKE A LOOK ON DAT+362 ON BLOCK, OH! CHECK OUT THAT CRISS CROSS APPLESAUCE MIX UPDJEKKSHSHDHEJSJS"

"omfg fgc guy has dat mix n' match updjekshsjejejsjdjdnejejdjdndnsjaoeiendja"

I AM NOT WORTHY TO LEARN THE LANGUAGE OF GODS

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
Small Breakdown:

Cancel: When you end a combo string or cut a combo string short by doing a special attack.

For Example: Aquaman's (Xbox) Back XYA combo can also add a special move onto the end of it,
so you could input - Back XYA From The Deep(Down Back Y) and it would all combo. Alternately, because it's easier to combo out of most people only do Back XY Down Back Y(From The Deep) and leave off the A from the combo.

Inputs: A very common constant across most fighting games - 1 = X(Xbox) or Square(PS3), 2= Y(Xbox) or Triangle(PS3), 3=A(Xbox) or X(PS3), 4=B(Xbox) or Circle(PS3). Also, xx is "Cancel" and (MB) is Meter Burn:

For Example: B12 xx DB2, B12 xx DB2 (MB), 223 is said:
Xbox: Back X Y (Cancel) Down Back Y, Back X Y (Cancel) Down Back Y (Meter Burn(Right Trigger)), Y Y A
PS3: Back Square Triangle (Cancel) Down Back Triangle, Back Square Triangle (Cancel) Down Back Triangle (Meter Burn(R2)), Triangle Triangle X

FGC: Fighting Game Community
MU: Match up
HKD: Hard Knock Down - A combo ender that leaves the opponent on the ground unable to tech roll. You can still wake up out of HKDs
Cross Up: Jumping over an opponent to the opposite side, thus switching the direction needed to be blocked
Mix Up: Multiple options out of the same set up that are typically either an Overhead or Low hit that need to be blocked on reaction
50/50: A setup when an opponent needs to guess whether to block low or high because the overhead and low attack have the same (or close to) the same start up frames.
Frames/Frame Data: This (and most) games run at 60fps (frames per second), so when someone has an attack that has 10 startup frames that means it takes 1/6 of a second for the attack's hitbox to become active. Alternately, when an attack has 10 frames on hit, that's how many frames you are at an advantage (before the opponent can begin executing an attack) Note: This does NOT mean that if an attack puts you at +10 frames but keeps the opponent grounded that you can combo with an attack with lower startup. The opponent can block if still grounded).

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head. Hope this helps!