What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Sorcerer Feedback on the beta

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
This is meant to be just general feedback on beta changes for Sorcerer quan specifically. I realize that this beta is several iterations behind, and that the current version may have several changes I am unaware.

Netcode feels really good, but i sometimes get the feeling i have a slight input delay. when i switch to sonya for example, i dont have that feeling at all. not sure if maybe he hasnt been fully optimized.

for some reason, when i do 14xxrune, i tend to get sky drop a lot instead of rune. this is without negative edge on, but it sure feels like it. not sure why this is

MB Rune change feels pretty good. only thing is that the launching aspect of it seems to launch the opponent further away, making it difficult to follow up with anything except raw trance (assuming you didnt do that first). i dont like that its less plus on hit, making a jip in the corner much harder to land. If they modified those two things it would be perfect

the drain portal change is exactly what i thought should be done, and it works fantastically. Perfect way to bring it in line with the chip portal

If the chip portal is now intended to be a choice between that and drain, mission failed. Keep armor portal the way it is, but make chip and drain the same startup. since it is no longer possible to jail into certain strings to make the chip guaranteed and the amount of overall chip in the game being 20% less, i dont see why this change wouldnt be made...which brings me to

Normal trance. The trance the way it is right now, for lack of a better term, is terrible. at certain distances, it is impossible to do crossups (trance serves as our side switch since we dont have a high launching move) whether they increase the recovery from landing it, or increasing its length is irrelevant. using it with drain portal is also incredibly tight (harder than on live, which is surprising).

just my .02 cents

Goat-City

Banned
I don't like the MB rune change. They should leave it at plus 14 but either add a gap between the 14 string and rune for the reasons I listed in the Quan beta change thread, or add a gap between rune and EX rune. I'm not sure which idea I like better, but they definitely way overnerfed the MB rune. It needs to be +14 for the chip spell to be even close to as useful as the other 2 spells, especially with the nerf to chip damage and the trance nerf taken into account.

Its only non extremely situational use I can see it having now is from full screen after a 141 knockdown. I know you can jail 14 into EX skull in it, but you have to throw a bar away on EX trance to set that up, and the pushback on the skull is way too much to consistently jail with s1 afterwards, so you'd only be guaranteeing yourself a 2 bar 50% combo IF they don't have a bar of meter to armor through the gap. That's not nearly enough to make it practically useful in more than 1 out of 50 to 100 matches. The skeleton brutality will never happen now by the way, can't repeat that enough.

Remove the delayed rune because the timing is weird, you can accidentally use it when you're trying to block after a normal rune, the animation looks bad, and it just feels awful to use and is completely unnecessary. They should revert trance back to the way it was, revert sky drop back to the way it was but give it more priority over jump attacks and improve its tracking so it doesn't whiff in the air as much, and incorporate the changes I suggested in my thread. Also, apparently rune scales more in combos now by a substantial amount. I'm not sure if I'll end up disliking this change, but it probably wasn't necessary.

The rest of what you wrote I agree with. I love what they did with the meter spell, and apparently the armor spell is slower so it's less safe in the corner after a knockdown, which I like a lot as well. I prefer to play Sorcerer as a zoner more than a corner trap character, so having that corner trapping aspect of his meta nerfed is really appealing to me.

Lastly, I'm not sure where Warlock stands now after these nerfs. Probably like A- down from A+. He was mostly fine. The nerfs I've suggested for him on top of a couple small buffs to his specific tools are all he needs to get him to a solid A tier or more reasonable A+ tier.

Last edited:

Arzumis

Noob
Sorcerer main here
I dont like the changes. If your not constantly spending bar for trances and runes your pressure is super bad plus has the worst defense in the game outside of warlock. He probably got hit the hardest by the nerfbat.