What's new

Ermac a Tournament winning worthy character

CompletelyJaded

Whiffmaker
Excellent rebuttal. Your ability to listen to logic is astounding.
Thank you, I do appreciate your logic.

EDIT: I'm really not here to argue people. I made a valid point:
- The game has tiers: Characters who are stronger and characters who are weaker.
- I think it is unfair on people who get to like a character and then hit a wall and are upset and then come online and find out that "Sorry, your character is low tier, that's how it is".
- I think that if they don't take effort in balancing characters to be equal it should be explicitly expressed. On character selection for example. "This character is of the inferior tier. This character is the main hero." or "This is a primary tier. This is a secondary character."
Instead of: oops you've played your ass off to get good but this is as good as you get because you do not have the tools to get past this and that.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Since when has placement in tournaments been a viable criteria for placement on a tier list? Not arguing about your conclusion, just your methods of obtaining it.
It's not about the tier list, it's about the fact that he's claiming these three characters are virtually unbeatable when they're clearly beaten by other characters all the time at tournaments. How can you say this game's balance is bad when you use unsuccessful characters as examples?

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Thank you, I do appreciate your logic.
I think what Revolver is trying to say (and correct me if i m wrong Revolver) is that dont judge characters, not talking about Jade specificaly, from online. About Jade yeah we all know she is shit atm. I m gonna agree that she is still unexplored though and probably she has some things up her sleeve, but what you say happens almost in any fighting game. I mean name me a FG that is perfectly balanced and its entire roster can be played competively in tournaments and generally in high level. I, for one, dont know any. About Ermac by all means he is NOT OP and i believe many will tell you the same thing.

EDIT: Yeah online Ermac, JC, Reptile and Raiden are S tier but that doesnt mean anything. Online for me is an entirely different game m8.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Yes, this is the first time I've ever heard someone claim Ermac is OP. Almost as funny as that guy who made the "Nightwolf is OP" thread a couple months back.

CompletelyJaded

Whiffmaker
Yeah I don't particularly meant to trash your favorite character and call him an op p.o.s, though I have in the early weeks of the game before he got the nurf. I'm just saying that among all the female characters, Jade is the most interesting, and I hate how she's just bottom of the list for no fucking reason.

GambitTheFirst

Just some bees, please.
Every character should have equal opportunity or there is no point picking anybody else imho.
I'm definitely not wasting money on another mk game unless I see hard evidence that characters are balanced and there are no tiers.
No offence as I do respect you, and have enjoyed playing you in the past, but sounds to me like you really need to not only quit playing MK, but fighting games in general. It is literally impossible for a fighting game to have "no tiers" and out of all the fighters atm, MK9 is one of the most balanced. And even if a perfectly balanced fg was possible, how bloody insanely boring would a game be if every character had the same sort of moves?! (as everyone would need the same kind of answer to everything in the game if there were no better characters than others).

On a side note you talk about KL as if he hasn't been nerfed into oblivion over the course of the patches, he's still viable sure but they really did go waaay overboard with the nerf stick. And as everyone else has said, sure Ermac is a good character, but he's not this goddly unbeatable thing you seem to make out, and same with Reptile.

I would've thought by now you would stop whining about how "terrible mk9 is" (which you don't do because of the actual bullshit in this game that makes it not live up to other fighters, but character balance of all things! Yeah that's definitely this game's problem!) and either
a.) actually learn how to best play the matchups you find difficult with your character
or
b.) stopped playing MK9 because you hate the game so much

Tiers are a fact of fighting games, so if you want to play a lower tier character, you have to work harder. 1man3letters takes the lower tier Baraka to tournaments because he likes the character, he doesn't give a shit about tiers, and doesn't whine about how his character isn't as good as Raiden. He just gets on with it, so why don't you? Especially as as far as I can tell you only play online anyway.

And all this coming from a fellow Jade player!

Again, no disrepespect intended, but you've whined about the game since I met you online and yet still you're here whining months on.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
It's not about the tier list, it's about the fact that he's claiming these three characters are virtually unbeatable when they're clearly beaten by other characters all the time at tournaments. How can you say this game's balance is bad when you use unsuccessful characters as examples?
Ah: my bad for misinterpreting. I agree.

And @ CompletelyJaded: I'm sorry Jade sucks. Maybe start a group movement to get some response out of NRS?

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
[MENTION=6058]CompletelyJaded[/MENTION] Why dont you just pick up another character? I know it would be a lot of hard effort wasted, but simply by trying out different characters you would find stronger matchups that dont have as mayny problems facing high tier characters. I my self experiment with a new character almost every week. I always play Sub Zero and Ermac, but my third character changes frequently. I have good knowledge of Scorpion, Reptile, Smoke, Kung Lao, Lui Kang, Rain, anda little Johnny Cage. This game can get dull after whats coming up to a year now. Play around! Nothing wrong with playing around with s tier characters.

If you cant beat em, join em?

Tokiwartoothxdk

『T R I G G E R E D』
[MENTION=6058]CompletelyJaded[/MENTION] Why dont you just pick up another character? I know it would be a lot of hard effort wasted, but simply by trying out different characters you would find stronger matchups that dont have as mayny problems facing high tier characters. I my self experiment with a new character almost every week. I always play Sub Zero and Ermac, but my third character changes frequently. I have good knowledge of Scorpion, Reptile, Smoke, Kung Lao, Lui Kang, Rain, anda little Johnny Cage. This game can get dull after whats coming up to a year now. Play around! Nothing wrong with playing around with s tier characters.

If you cant beat em, join em?
lol, this is what im talking about. when my friend used to always beat my ermac with kung lao(pre-patch) i would get so frustrated, so i picked him up too and let me tell you, it turned out to be one of the funnest characters ive ver played in a fighting game. Kung lao stillblows up ermac up close but i stopped complaing about that a while ago. my friend has sienced moved on to cyrax (#tier whore lol) and i know have to put up with resets. but i now have KL in y back pocket for a litte smack down.

TL;DR Got mad, picked up new character, loved it

GambitTheFirst

Just some bees, please.
Glad you agree lol! Although not really as I don't want you to quit, but if you're going to keep wingeing about something that is always the case in a fighting game, then just stop.

I don't really play MK9 anymore unfortunately, but that's mainly to do with the fact that I've started participating in a local fg scene and there are like only 10 people who played the game let alone only one other person there who liked the game as much as I do. If I did however, I'd keeping repping up Jade because I enjoy her playstyle and like the fact that she's harder to play well. Would I use her over Shang or Quan in a major tourny? Probably not. But in casuals and online, that doesn't matter.

Also appologies to the OP for adding to the offtopic nature of the recent posts in this thread. Everyone knows Ermac's a badass! He's definately not top 5, but if you like him then use him, who cares what anyone else thinks? Hit up a tournament and show everyone what he's got!

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Wow what a detour from the convo lol.

On the OP question though, yes I think Ermac can win. Just in the right hands. Remember the first tourney(one of the first at least) when floe got ermac second place? He got far because people were unfamiliar with the character. People just need to find out more of the character and surprise others. Easier said than done I know.

Ermac's high damaging combos from a jip are a distraction. they look nice and do 41%+ damage but landing them is not always viable. So people will think, well I guess imma zone then but you have a lot of characters that can rush down very well with EX armored moves.

Ermac is in this limbo zone, were he can play very good mind games from near and far. It's a question of appearing random to the opponent but knowing full well what you are doing.

What's the best attack after the F4? If I remember correctly, the opponent is left staggered after it. will either Teleslam or Telepush connect or will they have enough time to recover and block from the F4?

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
No F4 cant connect with lift or push after the f4 reset. You can either dash in grab attempt, continue pressure with 3,1 ,121, or 3,1,2 maybe go for another F4

Ermaculate Slim, you are taking Ermac to Final Round are you not? In case any bad matchups come up, who is your alt? Or is it Ermac all the way?

RoGE

Noob
If you invest enough time into your character no matter how bad he is, he will be tournament worthy at some point.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Ermaculate Slim, you are taking Ermac to Final Round are you not? In case any bad matchups come up, who is your alt? Or is it Ermac all the way?

Yea I am going to FR and kung lao, sub and jax are my alts but I'm going with Ermac the whole way cant call myself a ermac main if im scared of his hard match ups

You know I just now recognized you cibernetico from the vsm stream yesterday
Yep! That was me and my 3 day Ermac on a PS3 pad. I know I was missing a ton of Force Pushes but that is what happens when you are playing on a controller you are not comfortable with. I mainly play on the Xbox 360 pad because it's what I'm used to but I'm working on trying to get more games in with a PS2 pad since that is what was recommended to me by some of the players at VSM like Crazy Dominican.