What's new

Sub-Zero General Discussion

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
So I'm looking to get back into this game, in time for Combo Breaker, after taking a break from it back in February to play Tekken 8. I WAS using Kung Lao kameo with my Sub-Zero, but KL kameo's latest nerf has me looking at other kameos for Sub now (I was using his buzzsaw hat for anti-airing quite a bit).

I'm looking at either Khameleon or Sareena as my new kameo. I used Sareena on Day 1 for about a couple of months before switching to Kung Lao kameo.

However, Khameleon was released when I was already heavily committed to Tekken 8, so I haven't really used her yet. But now that she's been out for a while now: I was curious to get people's takes on how they felt her learning curve was.

CanoCano

Noob
So I'm looking to get back into this game, in time for Combo Breaker, after taking a break from it back in February to play Tekken 8. I WAS using Kung Lao kameo with my Sub-Zero, but KL kameo's latest nerf has me looking at other kameos for Sub now (I was using his buzzsaw hat for anti-airing quite a bit).

I'm looking at either Khameleon or Sareena as my new kameo. I used Sareena on Day 1 for about a couple of months before switching to Kung Lao kameo.

However, Khameleon was released when I was already heavily committed to Tekken 8, so I haven't really used her yet. But now that she's been out for a while now: I was curious to get people's takes on how they felt her learning curve was.
She's not really hard to learn you just gotta get used to her constantly switching between Disguises, other than that she's pretty good with Sub

I think Sub should have his old damage scaling back for the spikes or they decrease the recovery of the Klone.

Regarding the Klone I'm basically only using it for an anti air and in combo. I find it difficult to catch someone in the Klone if they are in your face. They can just poke through it even without armor. Its too easily punishable.

I think Sub should have his old damage scaling back for the spikes or they decrease the recovery of the Klone.

Regarding the Klone I'm basically only using it for an anti air and in combo. I find it difficult to catch someone in the Klone if they are in your face. They can just poke through it even without armor. Its too easily punishable.
Sub is already top tier, so if he had his old school damage that would probably be a bit too much. That said, multiple spikes in a combo being basically pointless because it scales so hard is pretty lame. Making it do a touch more so you have a reason to spend the bar to close out a match, for example, would be nice.

People have gone back and forth about the utility of Klone in this thread, and sure, it could do more, but it already does quite a lot: combos and anti air like you say, as well as a parry against more obvious strings, grounded and airborne, and a great armor break, even against the fastest and best armors like Johnny or Tanya if you setup a safe jump which Sub can easily do. Also, lockdown in the corner, meterless or metered, into throw or mix/pressure if you don't have Kitana Kham available.

What CanoCano said, but I'd replace "good" with "amazing" ;) . Janet is also pretty great, but I'd say Kham is easier to learn out of the two. Slide + Fan Lift = Win against a lot of people. Same with B3 + Mileena Ball.

Either way, GL at Combo Breaker!

Last edited:

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Combo Breaker update for me:

I didn't get around to trying out Khameleon before heading to CB, so I stuck with my ol' Sub-Zero / Kung Lao team.

Right before my pool, I intentionally got myself drunk just to see what it was like to compete while under the influence...lol. I ended up going 3 - 2 in my pool. Ended up having a blast and I'll probably do it again sometime!

But the reason that I came back on here to update was, after I got eliminated: I went ahead and played some casuals and decided to just select Khameleon and see if I could learn her on the fly during my casuals.

Within the first 15 minutes of using her as my kameo: I felt more powerful than I've ever had with my months and months of experience using Kung Lao kameo. Like.....holy shit, I should have just picked her up sooner! lmao!

It bothers me how must have khamelon is for sub. Fan lift alone opens up SO many options for sub, and it feels a little silly that the best way to zone with what is normally THE counter zoning projectile is to first use boomerang to cover it.

Yup, Sub + Kham is crazy good. Part of it is how well they synergize and part of it is how busted Kham is (just look at Combo Breaker). Either way though, it's really nice that Sub has such a viable kameo option.

That said, after a lot of experimenting with Scorpion, Mavado, and some Janet (still need to do more), Scorpion might be viable at high level too, which would be nice to have a few more pairings to use in tournament.

Yup, Sub + Kham is crazy good. Part of it is how well they synergize and part of it is how busted Kham is (just look at Combo Breaker). Either way though, it's really nice that Sub has such a viable kameo option.

That said, after a lot of experimenting with Scorpion, Mavado, and some Janet (still need to do more), Scorpion might be viable at high level too, which would be nice to have a few more pairings to use in tournament.
Interesting, i would not have expected scorpion to be on the list. I know he's the damage option for most of the cast, is it the same thing with Sub or is there anything specific that makes it cook.

Interesting, i would not have expected scorpion to be on the list. I know he's the damage option for most of the cast, is it the same thing with Sub or is there anything specific that makes it cook.
It's the fact you can combo off of meterless slide anywhere on screen. To me, the best part of Khameleon is the fan lift, and Scorpion lets you have that basically all the time. Also, being able to combo off of 44 is nice, especially since Scorpion combos create a lot of safe jump opportunities (lower damage on certain starters so might as well do safe jump instead of finishing). And, speaking of safe jumps, having mostly safe 50/50s off of them is handy, particularly against people at lower ranks who have trouble blocking. Leads to much faster wins.

After some grinding on KL using this new tech, unless you can pull off some really solid puppetry with Janet or can combo off of slide with triple punch with her consistently, which is really tricky imo, I'm sold on Scorpion being Sub's second best kameo. The only problem with him compared to Khameleon is you have to play neutral, but I personally find that more fun anyway.

ConeOnBricks

Borderline Decent (Sometimes)
It's the fact you can combo off of meterless slide anywhere on screen. To me, the best part of Khameleon is the fan lift, and Scorpion lets you have that basically all the time. Also, being able to combo off of 44 is nice, especially since Scorpion combos create a lot of safe jump opportunities (lower damage on certain starters so might as well do safe jump instead of finishing). And, speaking of safe jumps, having mostly safe 50/50s off of them is handy, particularly against people at lower ranks who have trouble blocking. Leads to much faster wins.

After some grinding on KL using this new tech, unless you can pull off some really solid puppetry with Janet or can combo off of slide with triple punch with her consistently, which is really tricky imo, I'm sold on Scorpion being Sub's second best kameo. The only problem with him compared to Khameleon is you have to play neutral, but I personally find that more fun anyway.
I was using Janet briefly for basically the same reason you're using scorpion now. You can get 272 off raw slide by pressing back kameo right after the opponent gets impaled by the spear during the animation. From here do her triple punch into a brief wavedash and you get jump 12 into stand 4 bf3. Cyrax also gets 270 off raw slide and 200 damage meterless throw combos but that timing is mad tight. Honestly I didn't know scorp even let you do the same thing but I see your vision. I think the slide combos in conjunction with scorp kameo's bodyblock potential could make this team really good. Might actually be able to use ice ball for projectile trading since you can call scorp to tank a hit in projectile wars and actually get the ice ball out in time. Really sick find I'm definitely gonna try this team out!

Scorpion damage wise is a great option for Sub. And you can mix up your opponent with his overhead.

I was using Janet briefly for basically the same reason you're using scorpion now. You can get 272 off raw slide by pressing back kameo right after the opponent gets impaled by the spear during the animation. From here do her triple punch into a brief wavedash and you get jump 12 into stand 4 bf3. Cyrax also gets 270 off raw slide and 200 damage meterless throw combos but that timing is mad tight. Honestly I didn't know scorp even let you do the same thing but I see your vision. I think the slide combos in conjunction with scorp kameo's bodyblock potential could make this team really good. Might actually be able to use ice ball for projectile trading since you can call scorp to tank a hit in projectile wars and actually get the ice ball out in time. Really sick find I'm definitely gonna try this team out!
Ah, a fellow slide enthusiast! How did I not know that Cyrax can combo slide midscreen?? I'm only getting around 250 midscreen because of the odd flip out and insane gravity (neutral jump 12, enchanced dive kick, slide), but that's not bad damage, and obviously Cyrax corner damage is great. Honestly, if Cyrax's throw combo wasn't so crazy tight like you say, I'd be tempted to put Cyrax as a top pairing even though he doesn't let you combo off of strings.

As for Janet, thanks for the tip! I was always using the forward version of her, which makes it much harder, lol. Also, it took me a while just to get to a place where I could do her triple punch. After a solid hour though now, I see what you mean! Damn, 272 for one kameo bar. That feels so good. Her damage is still lower than Scorpion's for Fatal Blow (off of slide), but definitely higher overall. I also like how you can adjust the combo if you see you're not going to connect with the jumping 12 by going into enhanced dive kick and still getting 276. She doesn't let you combo off of 12 or 21 like Scorpion does but having consistent armored combos is sick. Hmmm, I'm going to have to do some serious grinding with both her and Scorpion to decide my Evo pairing.

Hope you enjoy labbing Sub + Scorp!

Last edited:
:eek::eek::eek:......... (Heads to lab)
It blew my mind too. Couldn't believe how long I played the team without knowing when I found it.

Btw, midscreen, you want to use up Scorpion call a split second after slide connects. Comboing into 12 is fairly easy to get the time for, but you need the added float to go into klone.

ConeOnBricks

Borderline Decent (Sometimes)
Ah, a fellow slide enthusiast! How did I not know that Cyrax can combo slide midscreen?? I'm only getting around 250 midscreen because of the odd flip out and insane gravity (neutral jump 12, enchanced dive kick, slide), but that's not bad damage, and obviously Cyrax corner damage is crazy. Honestly, if Cyrax's throw combo was so crazy tight like you say, I'd be tempted to put Cyrax as a top pairing even though he doesn't let you combo off of strings.

As for Janet, thanks for the tip! I was always using the forward version of her, which makes it much harder, lol. Also, it took me a while just to get to a place where I could do her triple punch. After a solid hour though now, I see what you mean! Damn, 272 for one kameo bar. That feels so good. Her damage is still lower than Scorpion's for Fatal Blow (off of slide), but definitely higher overall. I also like how you can adjust the combo if you see you're not going to connect with the jumping 12 by going into enhanced dive kick and still getting 276. She doesn't let you combo off of 12 or 21 like Scorpion does but having consistent armored combos is sick. Hmmm, I'm going to have to do some serious grinding with both her and Scorpion to decide my Evo pairing.

Hope you enjoy labbing Sub + Scorp!
In retrospect thought I should drop a demonstration of the Cyrax stuff I was talking about. Not my video but he shows off all the important stuff I was talking about within the first minute. Using j134 seems to be the best meterless option for this team which also gives you really good oki to grab loop.

Wow, I had no idea he had those midscreen options with Cyrax--that's sick! I also realized that what I thought was a big weakness of Janet (and Cyrax) was their inability to combo 12 and 21 meterlessly, which I hit with a lot, but now that they can combo off of slide, that's gone. Damn, Janet might be even better than Khameleon...