What's new

MK1 Tier List Discussion Thread

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Just some thoughts and feedback.
  • I agree that Raiden is still S tier, albeit likely no longer number 1. Goro's up punch is a valid replacement for Cyrax's kopter chopper.
  • The word is officially out on Ashrah, huh? I think she is the best space control character in the game.
  • Rain is no longer S tier in my opinion. He is a flawed character who happened to synergize perfectly with pre-patch Cyrax.
  • Reiko does not deal sufficient damage to be S tier while the zoning is not sufficiently strong to compensate. I believe he is somewhere in the middle of A tier.
  • I would place Kung Lao as the final S tier character. He has access to the most damaging safe, launching armor in the game. He is also solid otherwise.
  • Tanya should be at the top of A. She is a complete character with the second best safe, launching armor in the game.
  • Mileena is also A tier with Kung Lao as the kameo because he fixes 1,2 being flawless block punishable and addresses the fact that she has no full-screen presence. Ball is arguably the second best special move in the game after storm cell.
  • Speaking of A tier, Liu Kang has to be at the top of A tier. He is almost certainly better than characters like Rain and Reiko and even Mileena. He has perfect synergy with the best kameo in the game.
I agree with pretty much everything you've said with exception to Tanya. I would place her towards the middle to lower end of A tier because of her Cage MU. She has no good answer for his parry negating her best tool (F2) and she will have the same issue with Omniman.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Tweedy’s most recent tier list:

I for the most part agree. For now, I believe there’s a consensus bottom 5 with Sub, Nitara, Scorp, Reptile and Sindel.

Even though he has Smoke in A+, he’s technically bottom 10 in his list which I agree with.

This was my recent list in comparison:

My Geras placement was put there basically by default because I haven’t played against him much, played as him at all, and at the time hadn’t seen many Geras gameplay. My opinion has since changed on him and a few tiers. Here’s my updated list:

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Tweedy’s most recent tier list:

View attachment 21213

I for the most part agree. For now, I believe there’s a consensus bottom 5 with Sub, Nitara, Scorp, Reptile and Sindel.

Even though he has Smoke in A+, he’s technically bottom 10 in his list which I agree with.

This was my recent list in comparison:

View attachment 21214

My Geras placement was put there basically by default because I haven’t played against him much, played as him at all, and at the time hadn’t seen many Geras gameplay. My opinion has since changed on him and a few tiers. Here’s my updated list:

View attachment 21215
So happy to see someone giving Kitana some credit instead of dumping her into the nebulous mid tier zone. The longer the game's been out, the more I think she's very scary. She's like Liu in that nothing she does is ridiculous or complicated, but she can do things anywhere on the screen and blow you up off any hit confirm. Her damage is rather silly for using 0 meter, her lack of meter usage for comboing means she's got breakers available stupid often, her zoning is decent enough to make it a viable option, she has stupid easy hit confirms off all her usable strings, and she has a good enough base kit to allow kameo choice to be open ended.

Sure she's not as exciting nor as cool as her previous iterations, but she's a winner this time around right out the gate. First time since MK9.

EDIT: dont agree that she's top 5, though. Top 10 for sure, but she isnt playing MK1 quite as efficiently as characters like Raiden, Johnny, Kenshi, Liu, Ashrah, and Kung Lao.

Last edited:

Fractured_Shadow

His parry isn't fast enough. Johnny's only works because the enhanced is absurdly fast at 2 frames. I wonder how fast Omni's will be...
Just watched the Kombat Kast and holy balls.... Omni man is gonna be a problem... And I'm gonna main him. But it looks like his ex stance (which is the parry) is in the ball park of 2-5 frames. That shit came out quick as hell but we will have to see

I'm just gonna go ahead and slide Omni Man into the top 5...a day before he is released

Just watched the Kombat Kast and holy balls.... Omni man is gonna be a problem... And I'm gonna main him. But it looks like his ex stance (which is the parry) is in the ball park of 2-5 frames. That shit came out quick as hell but we will have to see

I'm just gonna go ahead and slide Omni Man into the top 5...a day before he is released
Oh damn. Thanks for the heads-up!

Fractured_Shadow

Oh damn. Thanks for the heads-up!
Fosho. There is a video on YouTube of the devs doing a match with Omni Man vs Scorpion. In the 1st round I believe omniman does EX stance to interrupt scorpion's string and full combo punish it. I don't use scorpion so I can't tell you what the string or the gap is tho. I'm sure someone here knows and can shed some light on it... But yeah, it is very very very fast

I didn't catch, did they say the standard stance protects against projectiles, and the EX stance protects against projectiles and strings, or just strings?

Fractured_Shadow

I didn't catch, did they say the standard stance protects against projectiles, and the EX stance protects against projectiles and strings, or just strings?
EX is both. What hits EX Stance it is low normals... But where it gets dumb is stance is also a combo route... It's not like he is stuck in n stance like characters are stuck in parry. He can do 4 different moves out of it and can cancel out of it too LOL. What's gonna set it up for being hella dumb is the frame data on its start up and if he can be safe on any of the moves he can go into from it

EX is both. What hits EX Stance it is low normals... But where it gets dumb is stance is also a combo route... It's not like he is stuck in n stance like characters are stuck in parry. He can do 4 different moves out of it and can cancel out of it too LOL. What's gonna set it up for being hella dumb is the frame data on its start up and if he can be safe on any of the moves he can go into from it
I assume if I'm in EX stance and whiff a string, you can still punish me right? It's not just pure instant invulnerability to any and all non-low strings?

I also wonder if there are recovery frames after the little Viltrum dance he does. If I do my string while you're in stance, can I time an ambush kameo right to hit you while you're recovering and punish that way?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I'd still like to see her played more. Haven't seen her at any tourney I've watched yet.
A Foxy Grampa uses Kitana/Kung Lao. There are various Kombat League sets on his Twitch channel.

He mostly zones with fans and low hats, runs away and escapes corners with instant aerial d,b+2, preserves meter using meter-less conversions and combos, plays a solid neutral game with b+2, b+4, and d+4, etc. Kind of what Arqwart already stated in his post above.

Kitana definitely seems good, but top 5 may be an exaggeration. Based on my experiences, I still believe that the S tier characters are Cage, Kenshi, Raiden, Ashrah, Kung Lao, and Liu Kang. The order is subjective until match ups are finalized, which will never happen because of patches. Characters like Geras, Kitana, Mileena, Tanya, etc. are in the subsequent tier. I also think Rain is overrated while Smoke is underrated.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Seems like a reasonable tier list

Anyone ever going to try to explain what S+ tier is?

B and C are perfectly cool letters that deserve to be used
“S” tier is considered to be the “best” tier. But “S+” are for characters that separate themselves from the rest of S. They’re just enough better than every other character in S that they need to be in a tier slightly above S tier, hence S+.

The reason people are hesitant to put B tier or lower for this game is because there’s really not any “bad” characters. And B tier (or worse) implies that the characters are bad or unviable.

All that said, it doesn’t matter too much what letters people choose to use for their tier lists. Instead of “S+, S, A+, A” etc, someone could use “1, 2, 3, 4” or at times people would have each tier described, as in
“God Tier, Top Tier, High Tier, Mid Tier, Low Tier, Bottom Tier”. It doesn’t really matter tbh.

Anyway, with that said, here’s my revised current tier list post Omni-Man:

Omni-Man’s placement is obviously subject to change just like everyone’s placement. But he seems so good that I think he’s either top 10 or just outside of it.

rifraf

Noob
“S” tier is considered to be the “best” tier. But “S+” are for characters that separate themselves from the rest of S. They’re just enough better than every other character in S that they need to be in a tier slightly above S tier, hence S+.

The reason people are hesitant to put B tier or lower for this game is because there’s really not any “bad” characters. And B tier (or worse) implies that the characters are bad or unviable.

All that said, it doesn’t matter too much what letters people choose to use for their tier lists. Instead of “S+, S, A+, A” etc, someone could use “1, 2, 3, 4” or at times people would have each tier described, as in
“God Tier, Top Tier, High Tier, Mid Tier, Low Tier, Bottom Tier”. It doesn’t really matter tbh.

Anyway, with that said, here’s my revised current tier list post Omni-Man:
View attachment 21244

Omni-Man’s placement is obviously subject to change just like everyone’s placement. But he seems so good that I think he’s either top 10 or just outside of it.
I wonder, is there any secret sause for Scorpion and Sub-Zero that NRS is aware of? Also, where would you place Nitara if she had full HP?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I wonder, is there any secret sause for Scorpion and Sub-Zero that NRS is aware of? Also, where would you place Nitara if she had full HP?
Scorpion is my main and he actually has some good tech. But most of it is due to the Kameos. He just gets outshined by so many other characters that it’s hard to justify using him over other characters. But I’m not a tournament player and I just play competitively for fun. If I played in tournaments I’d probably be using Kenshi.

Also, Nitara’s HP has almost no effect on her tier placement. At least for me. She’s a fun character that can do a lot of stuff, but the problem is she’s a character that’d probably be really good in a “back to block” game. But in a game with a block button, she, just like Scorpion and Sub, just has to work so much harder than the rest of the cast in order to be effective.

I get scared of scorpion, cause the throw looks like a jab. Is there any kameo that turns his throw into a combo because i could see him being a high mobility version of liu kang with a strike throw style

rifraf

Noob
Scorpion is my main and he actually has some good tech. But most of it is due to the Kameos. He just gets outshined by so many other characters that it’s hard to justify using him over other characters. But I’m not a tournament player and I just play competitively for fun. If I played in tournaments I’d probably be using Kenshi.

Also, Nitara’s HP has almost no effect on her tier placement. At least for me. She’s a fun character that can do a lot of stuff, but the problem is she’s a character that’d probably be really good in a “back to block” game. But in a game with a block button, she, just like Scorpion and Sub, just has to work so much harder than the rest of the cast in order to be effective.
Nitara is a character that I feel could blow up in the future. Her main barrier is her high execution, that's probably why we're not seeing much of her yet.

For Sub-Zero, I hope they buff his combo dmg to something more exciting because it's kind of lame. I would also like to see Li Mei getting some buffs in some of her mid-range strings/tools. I don't see why Ashrah can have so much better mid-range control compared to Li Mei. They should be close, if not equal.