What's new

MK1 Tier List Discussion Thread

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Did Geras get nerfed? I honestly don’t even know.
Geras has been controversial for a while.. I remember on the podcast we did about the tier list, King Jr./Burrito Vorhees (who mains him) thought Geras was low-tier. A lot of others had him higher.

What changed recently is the addition of the visual display for hourglass/sands of time charge, which removes that kind of psuedo-advantage Geras players had where sometimes they knew if snap was loaded and the opponent didn't.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Reiko strikes me as a bit too high. But again, this could be a Tanya situation, where the character just has well rounded tools overall.

No way in hell I'd make a tier list where Reiko is higher than Cage, Kenshi, Peacemaker, Sindel, Ashrah and Liu Kang, though.
Reiko is high for the same reason why PM and Raiden are as low as they are. At least from Tweedy's explanations, he rated Reiko high because he was already really good and hasn't been nerfed / gotten better from Tremor, whereas PM and Raiden were nerfed so they for some reason have to be much lower then they were, seemingly all a little bit arbitrary imo. Tweedy even literally says "I don't know" many times in his Raiden section lol.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Interesting to see so many people placing Geras so low. I've definitely started to agree, especially as MU knowledge increases.

There are little knowledge checks that can totally change you need to approach a match, like if Geras is using Motaro (which imo is his best kameo rn) and people know/don't know that they can full combo off of a jab when Geras attempts to use low tail shot on block after the full b12 string.

I think Janet has also devalued 1 bar breaker in a lot of matchups and patched a bunch of holes where Geras was able to safely 1 bar break - his low max health is pretty brutal when you can't actually your rewind.
Yeah I've slowly been convinced by cease that Geras is kind of ass. Feels like he loses to every character he has to approach.

Baconlord

The people may hate me for saying this, but Kenshi has to many bad matchups to be top 3. Character is obviously oppressive when he get's going but there's a lot of characters that can run away from him and abuse his dog shit forward dash and terrible projectile. Not to mention there's a handful of characters and kameos that give you unique defensive options to escape sento pressure.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
how many more tournaments does Javier need to get top 3 in before we all agree that scorpion is good?
He can get top 3 in every single MK1 tournament and it wouldn’t really change much about Scorpion’s tier list placement. MKJavier is winning despite how good Scorpion is, not because of how good he is. A godlike player doing well with a low tier character they solely main doesn’t somehow mean that “oh that character is actually good now”. That’d be like SF or NinjaKilla picking up Havik/Nitara, getting multiple top 3’s with them, and then people saying “Havik/Nitara are actually good, don’t you see SF & NK getting in top 3’s with them?”. Pretty much every character in MK1 can compete and every character can win tournaments (or get top 3).

how many more tournaments does Javier need to get top 3 in before we all agree that scorpion is good?
I don't think Scorp is necessarily in an incorrect spot on this list in relation to other characters, but calling those characters "mid" is probably disingenuous since the balance of the game is so good. The only bad character is probably Havik, and maybe Shang too due to the number of anti zoning options (some of the only things I agree on in Tweedy's list, lol).

He can get top 3 in every single MK1 tournament and it wouldn’t really change much about Scorpion’s tier list placement. MKJavier is winning despite how good Scorpion is, not because of how good he is. A godlike player doing well with a low tier character they solely main doesn’t somehow mean that “oh that character is actually good now”. That’d be like SF or NinjaKilla picking up Havik/Nitara, getting multiple top 3’s with them, and then people saying “Havik/Nitara are actually good, don’t you see SF & NK getting in top 3’s with them?”. Pretty much every character in MK1 can compete and every character can win tournaments (or get top 3).
We got any Sub Top 8's yet?

Baconlord

Was Captain Cold good in tournaments because Sonicfox used him or did Sonicfox use him because Captain Cold was good?
Captain cold was good. Especially in the matchups he was used. Cold beat the shit out of top tiers like Catwoman and Flash. Cold was absolutely an asset to sonic during injustice 2

Baconlord

Scorp/Kham is mad good. Character has a stupid good button in s2 that lets him wall out a ton of characters super hard. Hell he beats Kenshi 6-4 because of it. Not saying he's top tier or anything but he is comfortably outside of the bottom 5.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
It's usually 50% of one 50% of the other.

Sometimes great players can make characters look better than they are. But it's also common that a character needs a great player to show people how effective the char really is.

The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
It's usually 50% of one 50% of the other.

Sometimes great players can make characters look better than they are. But it's also common that a character needs a great player to show people how effective the char really is.

The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.
Yup just like when I used MK11 Raiden. I def made him look better than he was.

rifraf

Noob
Sub hasn't been struggling at all since Khameleon came out.
The thing with Khameleon is everyone is forced to play her game more so than the character. That's why you see everyone playing like a crackhead with her flying all over the screen :D It's high risk, high reward gameplay for every character.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
The thing with Khameleon is everyone is forced to play her game more so than the character. That's why you see everyone playing like a crackhead with her flying all over the screen :D It's high risk, high reward gameplay for every character.
There are different approaches with her, though. For example, Cucuy plays Khameleon/Peacemaker, and you see him using her to just sit back and zone.

So much depends on the character and MU.

Definitely true that Khameleon helps a lot of characters and can be pretty cracked, which is cool to watch, and I agree she becomes more the point character in a way. However, few benefit from her as much as Sub does. Every form she takes is useful to him, whether it's zoning/counterzoning/combo extension - Jade, 1-3 frame 50/50s/armored launcher/combo extension - Mileena, and the big one, full screen low combo starter/safe 50/50s/launching throw even if teched/safe clone/combo extension - Kitana.

With those tools, Sub beats or goes even with most characters currently in the game.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
My list. Not playing anywhere near as much as I used to, so take this list with a grain of salt.

I think one of the reasons people are ranking Scorpion higher than they ever have aside from MKJavier and Khameleon is because there’s been a slight uptick in Scorpion players. And if you main a lower tier character, you’re likely going to be decent at the game especially at this point in the games life. And the more often you run into a character, and you have a difficult time against said character, players tend to want to attribute that more to that character instead of the player. But going to reiterate. Imo no character is “bad” in this game, and I believe every character can compete and also place well in tournaments. But you have to work much harder with the lower tier characters in order to be successful with them.