What's new

Strategy Zod space control

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
Got the idea from Pakman and his thread for Supes space control, props to him for a great idea. I feel it's as equally important for Zod, and after extensive matches with him, here is the space I feel Zod can effectively control , which tools are worth using and where he is safe from punishment (more details below). I have left non MB grounded Zodballs out intentionally, as I feel they are very aren't very safe, nor do they provide appropriate cover considering the startup time and recovery.

NOTE: The coloured squares do not outline the hitbox of the attack, but rather they outline the areas where your opponent should be when you use certain moves. Example: If your opponent is occupying the space in the yellow square, then you can use Air Zod Charge with relative safety.

BLUE: Non MB Air Zodballs - These will make your opponent aware that the air space half a screen in front of them is a "no fly zone". Make them aware of this and use the distraction of the approaching ball to summon trait, establish zoning with Sidearm or make an attempt to close space.

CYAN: MB grounded Zodballs, Air MB Zodballs - See above. If using multiple slow Zodballs, there is a gap where the opponent can get through them and hit you on jump in, but it is spacing dependent.

GREEN: Ground Blast - After experimenting with Close/Far/Fullscreen Ground Blast, their space is best covered by other moves. Regular Ground Blast is best used sparingly. When used, charge it momentarily to confirm that it is safe to use, MB at your leisure. A blocked MB Ground Blast is +15 on block, so again you can summon trait, establish zoning with Sidearm or make an attempt to close space.

YELLOW: Air Zod Charge. The space covered is where you need to train your opponent to fear being. Make them respect the power of a 1F air to air that can me instant jump cancelled.

RED: Phantom Strike - I will argue that this is Zod's best footsie tool. It is faster than his F2 and covers more space. With correct spacing, you can contest against Superman F23 approaches, and whiff punish adequately, with PERFECT spacing, a blocked Phantom Strike is safe from a reversal Superman super. The hitbox on this thing is amazing, so it can catch characters as they attempt jumping. Since it is only -2 on block (It's not -1, despite what the in game data says) at the perfect range, the pushback is almost safe for you to throw out another Phantom Strike, not safe against faster footsie tools like Superman F23 or GL B1, but it's noteworthy elsewhere. An MB Phantom Strike is worth the meter, it does 17% damage, pushes full screen and leaves you with a fair chunk of frames to do what you want. With an MB Phantom Strike, you have enough time to summon trait or dash twice and be 100% safe, more set ups are available if you experiment. Non MB Phantom Strike grants enough time for a trait summon (safe from wake up Superman Super) or single dash with a little time for pressure on wake up.

PINK: Side Arm - This is a moderate start up projectile at 19F, but the recovery on it is phenomenal. It's also only -14 on block, so from the outlined spacing, you are safe from most punishment if it is blocked. It does hit high, but because you recover so fast, even if they duck it you are still relatively safe. On hit, you can Wraith Summon relatively safely, not 100% safe from fast, full screen attacks like teleports or Superman/Flash Supers. This projectile is used as a means to force an approach from full screen.

NOT DISPLAYED: Wraith Slash/Wraith Grab. They cover the whole screen, use them to reinforce your other spacing tools. With trait active, you can now hit them ANYWHERE on screen, thus they are not outlined. Back up everything with Slash. Back up Zodballs, Sidearm and Ground Blast with Wraith Grab. Ground Blast and Trait sets up situations difficult to block, Sidearm high shots and if they block it a couple times, they may attempt a crouch to avoid them, seting you up for an overhead grab.

Let me know what you think of this diagram, as well as the tactics, intentions and reasoning for their space control. Discuss.

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
Dang I wanted to do Zod, lol. It's fine really, just one less for me to do :p

Good stuff though - always pleasing to see the community working and levelling up :)

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
Make note that Slow Air MB Zodball has a gap in it where the opponent can be
Noted. Forgot that part. Had that happen to me a couple times vs Superman earlier today. Playing against Superman makes me wish Zod also had a regular air dash, his jump ins wouldn't be so terrible then.

IAZB covers a much larger swath of the screen than you are indicating and is as critical to use at chest height as it is at jump height.

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
IAZB covers a much larger swath of the screen than you are indicating and is as critical to use at chest height as it is at jump height.
Keep in mind that it's not about the space that the attack covers, it's more specifically about the areas your opponent can be where you can do the move with relative safety.

That said you are right, the bottom dark blue line should be further down, and the red box is all wrong with where it's safest to use. I must not have uploaded my final edit after converting the file. Will adjust it now, thanks for pointing that out.

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman
Not really a big deal, but of his normal moves, I think b2 deserves mention, since it does cover a fair amount of space and distance for an extended period. If you wanna add it fine, if not, that's cool too.

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
Not really a big deal, but of his normal moves, I think b2 deserves mention, since it does cover a fair amount of space and distance for an extended period. If you wanna add it fine, if not, that's cool too.
I considered it, but it's so inconsistent with the follow up. B23 will have the 3 whiff at perfect range, and the whiff recovery isn't exactly instant so you can get blown up for it. Hopefully that gets fixed so that if B2 hits, the B23 string will always combo.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
phantom strike is actually a deceptively shitty footsies tool.. at first glance it seems great because its fairly fast and it has good range. still its vertical hitbox is ok at best and if you whiff it may god help you.. even if you whiff it infront of the opponent he has time to even dash in and punish you.. also not very hardto jump over... would not recommend it as a footsies tool.

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
phantom strike is actually a deceptively shitty footsies tool.. at first glance it seems great because its fairly fast and it has good range. still its vertical hitbox is ok at best and if you whiff it may god help you.. even if you whiff it infront of the opponent he has time to even dash in and punish you.. also not very hardto jump over... would not recommend it as a footsies tool.
I will respectfully agree to disagree. I feel like Phantom Strike is almost like a projectile in itself, and just requires smart spacing. Players will quickly learn how safe it is (One of my training partners who plays Superman figured that out when I spaced it perfectly and a reversal super didn't punish) they start respecting that space a few steps in front of you. Especially since a regular or MB Phantom Strike on hit leads to a free trait summon. When they start trying to out footsie you in THAT space, whiff punishing with IAZC and PS again will have them thinking twice. It's not by any means the best footsie move in the game like Superman F2 is, but I do think it's the best we have to keep people where we want them once space has been closed.

They're also pretty amazing to throw out after a pushblock.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I will respectfully agree to disagree. I feel like Phantom Strike is almost like a projectile in itself, and just requires smart spacing. Players will quickly learn how safe it is (One of my training partners who plays Superman figured that out when I spaced it perfectly and a reversal super didn't punish) they start respecting that space a few steps in front of you. Especially since a regular or MB Phantom Strike on hit leads to a free trait summon. When they start trying to out footsie you in THAT space, whiff punishing with IAZC and PS again will have them thinking twice. It's not by any means the best footsie move in the game like Superman F2 is, but I do think it's the best we have to keep people where we want them once space has been closed.

They're also pretty amazing to throw out after a pushblock.
as far as our best it could be, which is why i think zod isnt so great. although his jumping 1 has been my main tool in that range.. just saying, you whiff it once, you will get full punished no matter the range

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
This diagram does not help me figure out why opponents shouldnt just crouch block zod
It's definitely a problem I'm finding with Zod's zoning. That problem disappears when trait is out, but trait isn't always available. Lots of tools, but with holes in his gameplan. I think that could probably be fixed by either making Side Arm hit mid or startup and recovery reduced on grounded Zodballs. Or making MB Ground Blast track instead of have set ranges.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
It's definitely a problem I'm finding with Zod's zoning. That problem disappears when trait is out, but trait isn't always available. Lots of tools, but with holes in his gameplan. I think that could probably be fixed by either making Side Arm hit mid or startup and recovery reduced on grounded Zodballs. Or making MB Ground Blast track instead of have set ranges.
My problem w zod is Why would anyone play Zod when Aquaman, Superman and Black adam exist

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
My problem w zod is Why would anyone play Zod when Aquaman, Superman and Black adam exist
Can't disagree with you there. I play him because I like him, I enjoy winning but I'd rather play a character I like and work for my wins. Here's to hoping the MMH compat pack has some pleasant surprises for Zod, he's definitely falling short.

Because he's fun?

I do agree he needs a few tweaks though, I played a Catwoman last night who crouched and played keepaway after getting a life lead and it was a miserable experience. If I didn't have the trait out, I couldn't do ANYTHING.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Because he's fun?

I do agree he needs a few tweaks though, I played a Catwoman last night who crouched and played keepaway after getting a life lead and it was a miserable experience. If I didn't have the trait out, I couldn't do ANYTHING.
If Catwoman can zone and play keep away from Zod we are definitely in trouble

Well I'm not very good, keep that mind. But yeah, if your opponent has a life lead and crouches you're going to have to approach or trait, and let me tell you - approaching Catwoman with a traitless Zod is not a fun experience. I was just surprised by how effective crouching against Zod can be - no combo starters, no zoning. It's trait or nothing, basically. Painful.

Well I'm not very good, keep that mind. But yeah, if your opponent has a life lead and crouches you're going to have to approach or trait, and let me tell you - approaching Catwoman with a traitless Zod is not a fun experience. I was just surprised by how effective crouching against Zod can be - no combo starters, no zoning. It's trait or nothing, basically. Painful.

1. Approach using trait.
2. When trait is down, approach using zodballs (MB air zodballs hit overhead) and ground zodballs are mid.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
zod is fine and has potential to be top ten. he just needs a fix on his strings b23 and f21 where the second hits whiff

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Before I answer that, hello notable Sinestro player, how you doing?

Why would people play Zod?

Well, when he flies them to the moon, he lets me play among the stars.

That's why I expect to play Martian Manhunter. He'll let me see what spring is like on Mars, and if he's in a good mood, Jupiter too.

#FrankSinatra

Colonel-Gilgamesh

zod is fine and has potential to be top ten. he just needs a fix on his strings b23 and f21 where the second hits whiff
Yeah, that b23 string is legit. Super awesome whiff punish. f21 is more negligible in my own playstyle but meh, whatever. What I'd like to see and everyone else for that matter is his f3 not being totaly and utter garbage.